Outdoor shower in lanai

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2020, 09:11 AM
Default Outside is nonpotable, not just irrigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
That's not true, that means I've been washing my car with reused water. The outside water spickets are potable water, only the reused water goes to your irrigation system.
You should call and check. Yes you have been washing your car with reuse. Nothing wrong with reuse, just not potable. Call. You might be surprised by what you hear.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
What do you do, go in the pool? I've had two pools in two different Florida homes. It's a great idea to have access from the outside to a bathroom. To say differently is complete nonsense. You don't have the bathroom next to the pool. Many homes if properly designed will have a half bath somewhere near the living area, it only requires the addition of a second door. Sort of a Jack-n-Jill situation. Many homes built in Spring Hill where I lived a few years ago, all came with this feature.

I'm going back aways, here's my very first pool, a 16 x 32 installed in 1979 in a home I built in Pensacola Florida. This photo is 41 years old.

The Villages Florida
Our home is 8 years old here in the villages. We have a small pool. Wish we had access to a bathroom. Drying off before going into the air conditioned house is a pain!
Old 05-30-2020, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
You should call and check. Yes you have been washing your car with reuse. Nothing wrong with reuse, just not potable. Call. You might be surprised by what you hear.
I already did call, the reclaimed water is used for irrigation. That's why on your monthly statement the potable water and irrigation water have two different amounts. It doesn't say reclaimed water, it's irrigation use.

Amenity Fee $0.00
Irrigation Use $0.00
IRRIGATION BASE $0.00
Sewer Use $0.00
Sewer Base $0.00
Sanitation Collection $0.00
Water Use $0.00
Water Base

Last edited by John_W; 05-30-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
If you live south of 466 do not use a garden hose type outdoor shower. Outside water is reuse and not potable. Call City of Wildwood water dept if you're in Fenny area and Brownwood area and they will explain what your outdoor water is, otherwise call the Villages Utility dept and ask for the water dept phone number and call them and ask about your outdoor hose water. It is all reuse, clean but not drinkable and legally can hold some bacteria so you definitely don't want to shower with this water. You get 2 separate charges on your monthly bill, potable which is inside, and nonpotable which is outside.
Absolutely not true !! The hose bibs on the outside walls of your home are connected to the potable water system inside. The Non potable water is for irrigation only and is NOT connected to the house building in any way.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:11 AM

We have a salt water pool and have to rinse off when getting out. We have an outdoor shower and love it. We use it all the time.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:41 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,060 Times in 529 Posts

If I wanted a pool, to me the obvious choice is a bathroom I can access directly from the pool. IOW a door from the lanai directly into the bathroom. That way I have a toilet and a shower. Perfect for swim days, and entertaining.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
That's not true, that means I've been washing my car with reused water. The outside water spickets are potable water, only the reused water goes to your irrigation system.
i was told the opposite! thx for info
Old 05-30-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jacks View Post
Hang a water hose
That's what I use to rinse off after swimming. I have an outdoor faucet with a hose.
Water is always very warm.
I guess I could attach a pipe with a shower 🚿 head to the faucet but really see no need.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberkner View Post
We are beginning our plans to build down in The Villages and all the forums have been extremely helpful. Thank you all for the great advice. This has helped us think about things that we didn't even know we had to think about! One thing we are very certain of is that we want to have our own pool. We would love to have a shower in the lanai to rinse off before getting in and after getting out of the water. Does anyone have a shower in their lanai (if this is even allowed) and if so, anything we should consider before moving forward with this? Thanks in advance for any advice!!

I got one, called outdoor faucet with garden hose on it.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:03 PM

We have a sink and toilet accessible off the pool area. Very handy to towel off and change clothes without going through the house. Haven’t seen need for a shower.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:38 PM
Default Thanks!

Huge thank you to everyone sharing comments!! Has given us some great ideas. We only want to do this once so are going to do our best to nail every detail!
Old 05-30-2020, 03:34 PM

And remember...there is no "p" in swimming. Someone had to say it.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Send a message via AIM to fitnessrs@aol.com
Thumbs up Out door shower and access to bathroom

I can only tell you that we love our outdoor shower. I had it built so it is private and you can take a real shower there. We take about 80% of our showers there from April through November and about 20% from December through March. In addition access to a bathroom from the outside is great. I would definitely recommend both if you can. That said we love the pool and spa. I was told unless you are really dirty it isn't necessary to rinse off before you get into the pool. Be happy to discuss with you any questions you might have.

Rich
Old 05-30-2020, 04:58 PM

I had a home in Wesley Chapel and it seemed that the builder put cabanna baths in most of the homes. We had a large screen enclosure installed over a paver patio. We decided against a pool. It was nice not to have to walk through the house when we were out entertaining guests. 😎
Old 05-30-2020, 05:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Absolutely not true !! The hose bibs on the outside walls of your home are connected to the potable water system inside. The Non potable water is for irrigation only and is NOT connected to the house building in any way.
Mulligan and John are correct. The hose-bib water is potable. It'd be nice to have a pool with access to an inside bath, but few floor plans in The Villages would allow that because the bathrooms are located in the interior.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, shower, advice, rinse, outdoor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.