Outdoor shower in lanai

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2020, 06:35 PM
Default Patio shower great!

We've moved a lot and for the first time have a pool. Solar panels help a LOT with temps and also extending the weeks the pool is comfortable. The one thing that makes it especially nice was having a hot/cold shower plumbed with regular house water to one of the posts when we extended our back area to include the pool. We use it a LOT ... even after working in the yard, doing sports, in the winter, etc. It's easy to dry off out there and having the hot as well as cold water makes a big difference. We're more than happy we had it installed.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:43 PM
Send a message via ICQ to gemini5001 Send a message via AIM to gemini5001

I disagree !
We had a "non salted water" pool and it was a royal pain in the butt to keep the water clear. It was constantly getting green with algae.
Kept spending countless $$$ on chemicals.
I was at a point where I just wanted to fill in.
We switched to a salt pool and it was like night and day. No more constant cleaning and spending my hard earned money on chemicals.
We have since moved and our pool at the second home is salt water and besides vacuuming it from time to time, we barely have to do anything to it, the water is always crystal clear.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Mulligan and John are correct. The hose-bib water is potable. It'd be nice to have a pool with access to an inside bath, but few floor plans in The Villages would allow that because the bathrooms are located in the interior.
You're right about floorplans, TV is behind the times on that one. Another poster did mention the 'ELM' model. I looked and apparently it's no longer being built. I guess, looking for an ELM resale would be the only option for a Cabana Bath.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-31-2020, 09:20 AM

The Elm looks like a nice floor plan, thanks for posting John. If someone bought a building lot would TV build this still or do they not allow retired floorplans from being built anymore?
Thanks
Dave
Old 05-31-2020, 12:25 PM

We have been in our uniquely expanded ELM for over a year and love it. Had a standard Elm before, which is a very nice floor plan, but wanted more room and a pool so they customized the file drawings. Yes, the ELM is no longer a standard offering, but The Villages was happy to build our stretched version to include a beautiful lanai and pool, along with added garage and interior space. Of course, having direct lanai access to the guest bathroom is a huge convenience and makes complete sense, especially for entertaining. If you discuss it with the Design Center personnel, I believe they can still build it exactly as you wish.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberkner View Post
We are beginning our plans to build down in The Villages and all the forums have been extremely helpful. Thank you all for the great advice. This has helped us think about things that we didn't even know we had to think about! One thing we are very certain of is that we want to have our own pool. We would love to have a shower in the lanai to rinse off before getting in and after getting out of the water. Does anyone have a shower in their lanai (if this is even allowed) and if so, anything we should consider before moving forward with this? Thanks in advance for any advice!!
I’m amazed how many posts were critical of even putting in an outdoor shower. An outdoor shower (even better for us would be private) is very high on our priority list when it comes to building our pool.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:23 AM

I'm not planning on having a pool but I sure would like access to a bathroom from the lanai. We will probably have a hot tub and we will want to rinse off the sweat before getting in. Plus it would be nice to have guests access a bathroom from the lanai instead of walking through the house.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
We are beginning our plans to build down in The Villages and all the forums have been extremely helpful. Thank you all for the great advice. This has helped us think about things that we didn't even know we had to think about! One thing we are very certain of is that we want to have our own pool. We would love to have a shower in the lanai to rinse off before getting in and after getting out of the water. Does anyone have a shower in their lanai (if this is even allowed) and if so, anything we should consider before moving forward with this? Thanks in advance for any advice!!
Prior to moveing to the villages i had a pool behind my home. It was constant work. Now i have no pool and i do not miss the work.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:45 PM

who did your outdoor shower?
Old 06-26-2020, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

What type of maintenance/cleaning is required for outdoor showers? I assume a lot depends on the type of flooring and enclosure, but mildew and corrosion come to mind.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,073 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
We are leaning towards the salt water pool. From what I have read showering off before entering will help with the maintenance cost of the pool...haven't talked to any experts on that yet but would like to have about 95% of this figured out before our design meetings!
Very good idea to shower, without soap, before entering the pool. Total dissolved solids in the water make it difficult to balance the pools water. Total dissolved solids come from stuff like suntan lotion, deodorant, soap, hair conditioner, and make up. If swimmers wash all that stuff off both their Bodies and bathing suits before entering the pool the Pool maintenance will be simplified.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,073 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
For the shower you have two options, having the lines plumbed in like an outdoor kitchen, or one of the "big pipe" models they sell on amazon. You run a garden hose to them, the pipe, which is also holds the shower head, fills with water. They are black, they also have cold water adjustment. Enough for two showers. They are bolted to the concrete deck and cost 250.00. Obviously they heat the water by the sun. Low tech, takes up little space.

My recommendation, if the lot allows, is a back door to the garage with a screen door. A hideaway retracting screen door is fine. Some pool lots can accommodate this, especially if the lot is narrow in front and wide in the back. You will appreciate the cool(er) garage
Toymeister, thanks for the idea of the big pipe outdoor solar type shower. I am putting one in by our pool. Great idea.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, shower, advice, rinse, outdoor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.