Outside water spigot

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2019, 07:28 AM

The shut off on a frost free is positioned about about 12 inches back from the turn off

Old plumber shows how to Install a Frostfree faucet correctly. Plumbing Tips! - YouTube
Old 11-28-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
Why does the outside water spigot cause a vibrating noise when using it. Also, I’m using a retractable hose and when I turn it off the water sprays out at the spigot
I took the extra unit between the house and the hose off. Got rid of the noise,. Be careful if you do.,
Old 11-28-2019, 08:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcapaul View Post
The shut off on a frost free is positioned about about 12 inches back from the turn off

Old plumber shows how to Install a Frostfree faucet correctly. Plumbing Tips! - YouTube
The $5 dollar back flow preventer on the outside spigots installed by the builder is due to building codes and offer no protection against frost .

The frost free devices are not necessary in this part of the country......
Old 11-28-2019, 09:27 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

The vibration may also be caused by a less than tight stem valve. If the stem nut is not tight enough the stem valve can "chatter" inside the hosebib. We often find loose stem valves. Simply tighten the stem nut a bit...not too tight or you will not be able to turn your hosebib on or off easily.

This can also happen with two handle bath faucets. Basically, loose stem valves cause "chatter".

BTW, I've never seen a frost free hosebib here in The Villages. They are not needed here. Also, you should not remove your anti siphon valve unless you are replacing it with a new one.

Frank D'Angelo
Old 11-28-2019, 06:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Yea, I think I’m right, the spigot are made just for outside spigot’s, they’re frost free spigot’s so they don’t freeze. I had them in my outside spigot’s when we lived up north. They’re longer, about 10 to 12 in. long.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
The vibration may also be caused by a less than tight stem valve. If the stem nut is not tight enough the stem valve can "chatter" inside the hosebib. We often find loose stem valves. Simply tighten the stem nut a bit...not too tight or you will not be able to turn your hosebib on or off easily.

This can also happen with two handle bath faucets. Basically, loose stem valves cause "chatter".

BTW, I've never seen a frost free hosebib here in The Villages. They are not needed here. Also, you should not remove your anti siphon valve unless you are replacing it with a new one.

Frank D'Angelo
I had to replace one, one time up north because one of the homes I owned had copper plumbing in it & one of the copper pipes that hooked into this spigot bursted & I had to replace a section leading up to this longer spigot! Yes, maybe they don’t have any use for them in Florida & you can only find them in colder climates. Sorry, don’t want to start an argument!
Old 11-29-2019, 02:34 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

No argument at all my friend...life is too short and we are all quite blessed. I am familiar with both. One way to tell the difference is that the frost free ones have a long straight stem, usually between 8-12 inches as you state, so the washer is inside the home away from the cold. The handle is coming out of the home straight...the non frost free ones typically found here are often angle stops, where the handle is at an angle to the house wall. To answer the original question, the chatter can come from either the anti siphon connector or a loose stem nut itself....both an easy non invasive repair.

Frank D'Angelo

Tags
spigot, water, turn, sprays, hose

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.