Overcharge by moving companies

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2021, 08:59 AM

Sell everything and buy new. Probably won’t fit right in your new house anyways.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:17 AM
Default Moving companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
When we signed the deal with a moving company in Northern Virginia they estimated $17,369.65. We are being charged $19,728.31, an overcharge of $2358.

Their explanation:

"Your initial Interstate estimate was based on an estimated weight. Your delivery to FL was based off of the actual weight and packing. Atlas charges and the non binding estimate are based on the actuals. Your local portion was higher because there was an increase in the packing when your shipment was picked up. "

They offered no details. So a moving company can estimate X to get you to sign, then charge you X + Y when the delivery is done.

Sweet business model, eh?
I have had several nightmare experiences with moving companies!!!! The company we used moving to TV was no exception. BUT - with social media - I blasted this company every where possible. I turned it into a hobby warning others about them. IT WORKED!! The owner of the company phoned and made a deal with me if I'd take down all of my "warnings." We came to a nice financial agreement. Give that a try and hopefully it will work for you, too.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:31 AM

I have moved 14 times in my life. I have always gone with a mover who will give me a definite price not an estimated deal. It is always worded as "Not more than" and believe me, it has never ended up being "less than" but I am never caught off guard. Lesson learned!
I'm sorry you feel taken advantage of but I think you just didn't know what your options were.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:12 AM

Family members just moved back to MO last week and same type of thing happened. When movers arrived (Route 66 Movers) they said they gave a ball park figure for packing so they “adjusted” the price up another $2,500.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
We once had a mover, who after quoting a price and signing a contract for a small truck within the same town, stopped unloading at about half-way, then demanded full payment that was about 30% above contract agreement. We had no choice, their plan obviously, to pay it at the time but got lucky in that we won in small claims court, but I'll bet most people caught up in this obvious scam don't even bother to fight it.
Well I do know for a fact that NOBODY can hold your private belongings hostage. Ask any lawyer!
Old 06-18-2021, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

that's a lot of money to pay to transport old stuff to a house with a different floor plan
I hope it included at least a baby grand, and an automobile and they packed everything for you

but doubt you have any recourse, as you agreed to a deal based on an estimate...

word of advice, don't ever agree to a 'cost, plus contract' with a builder...as you'll own all the cost overruns (and there will be many)
Old 06-18-2021, 03:16 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Well I do know for a fact that NOBODY can hold your private belongings hostage. Ask any lawyer!
Which is why I eventually won in court. However, I do know for a fact that a lawyer won't do you much good at 9:00pm, with the moving truck in your driveway, the workers having closed the rear door and are saying that without the full inflated payment right then - they will be driving back to their warehouse.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:19 PM
Default Moving estimates vs actual cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
When we signed the deal with a moving company in Northern Virginia they estimated $17,369.65. We are being charged $19,728.31, an overcharge of $2358.

Their explanation:

"Your initial Interstate estimate was based on an estimated weight. Your delivery to FL was based off of the actual weight and packing. Atlas charges and the non binding estimate are based on the actuals. Your local portion was higher because there was an increase in the packing when your shipment was picked up. "

They offered no details. So a moving company can estimate X to get you to sign, then charge you X + Y when the delivery is done.

Sweet business model, eh?
Same thing but with Wheaton and almost every single piece of furniture was banged up. Just listed almost 50 items on my damage report. Be sure to take photos too. They just did not pad things properly. We should have gotten a couple of pods.....definite pricing and you control how things are packed and padded.

Last edited by cj1040; 06-18-2021 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Spell check
Old 06-19-2021, 08:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
Which is why I eventually won in court. However, I do know for a fact that a lawyer won't do you much good at 9:00pm, with the moving truck in your driveway, the workers having closed the rear door and are saying that without the full inflated payment right then - they will be driving back to their warehouse.
Yes, I knew someone from Ohio that didn’t get rent money so they went into the renters place & thought they could hold some of their personal belongings hostage. Renter took owner to court, judge said, you couldn’t break into someone’s home & take things. So the owner was ordered to pay for things that no longer existed, pay court cost! Judge said no state in the country that you can hold anything that someone owns & blackmail them. He said in any circumstance!
Old 06-19-2021, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I knew someone from Ohio that didn’t get rent money so they went into the renters place & thought they could hold some of their personal belongings hostage. Renter took owner to court, judge said, you couldn’t break into someone’s home & take things. So the owner was ordered to pay for things that no longer existed, pay court cost! Judge said no state in the country that you can hold anything that someone owns & blackmail them. He said in any circumstance!
We tend to confuse law with right and wrong. Clearly that is false.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
yes, it is based on estimate. I went with the truck before and after my stuff was loaded to get weighed at the weigh station and got the actual weight and charge, Then the company credited my credit card the difference. Liberty Van Lines did right by me
As I've posted elsewhere, you have the estimated weight and the estimated bill. Simple math to figure what the estimate was per 100 pounds. Then check the credit they issued per 100 pounds. People do not understand how it works so do not see how and where they gocha.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Apples to anvils comparison, to my posted experience with a moving company in the middle of the move.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmay View Post
I worked in the moving and storage industry for 50 years before retiring. Movers give you an option of two estimates, one is binding one is non-binding. Apparently the option you chose was non-binding. Therefore your final bill is based upon the actual services rendered not on the estimate.
Expert testimony. Thanks for the info.
Closed Thread

Tags
based, moving, estimate, overcharge, delivery

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.