Overcharge by moving companies

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2021, 04:47 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

Had same problem. Called my attorney and was told they all do it. I was overcharged about the same amount. When they arrived in TV 1/3 of my things were missing. Big mistake.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:02 AM
Veteran member

yes, it is based on estimate. I went with the truck before and after my stuff was loaded to get weighed at the weigh station and got the actual weight and charge, Then the company credited my credit card the difference. Liberty Van Lines did right by me
Old 06-18-2021, 05:32 AM

This estimate procedure is normal. Usually it is more accurate if they input into their estimation software based upon an actual visit. If you provided the estimates you probably could expect a deviation. I wouldn’t object that much but you can try to negotiate. I’ve moved 6 times with professional movers I know well.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
When we signed the deal with a moving company in Northern Virginia they estimated $17,369.65. We are being charged $19,728.31, an overcharge of $2358.

Their explanation:

"Your initial Interstate estimate was based on an estimated weight. Your delivery to FL was based off of the actual weight and packing. Atlas charges and the non binding estimate are based on the actuals. Your local portion was higher because there was an increase in the packing when your shipment was picked up. "

They offered no details. So a moving company can estimate X to get you to sign, then charge you X + Y when the delivery is done.

Sweet business model, eh?
Pods are the way to go way cheaper
Old 06-18-2021, 05:40 AM

When I moved here from New York, someone had advised me to make sure I had a "price cap". In other words, a clause in the contract stating that the mover could not go above the stated price. I think they are counting on you not knowing that you can do this. It worked out well for me, and I would never hire movers who wouldn't give me that.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:42 AM
Veteran member

Or simply do what I did and call and threaten to call the police
Old 06-18-2021, 05:44 AM
Veteran member
Default Moving

I'm sure you had some heirloom furniture that your wife really wanted to have in the house. So I have to congratulate you on spending all that money to make your wife happy. However that said I would have told you in advance to sell everything and simply buy new here it would have cost a lot less and your wife would have the fun of spending more of your money. If you only got charged $2,000 more or so and you could have afforded the $18,000 you were already spent God bless you for helping the economy. I really wouldn't worry about it and just Chuck it up to experience. Next time simply say I want to fix price and I'm getting estimates. You need a two-line contract that way with no disputes possible
Old 06-18-2021, 05:57 AM

We had similar issues with our move. A few K more then estimate for some "reasons" that were buried in the fine print on the contract. Somehow they didn't anticipate these overages when estimating. I think it's pretty common in that line of work.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:17 AM

“As you ride down a highway you will see exits marked weigh station. A truck must stop at regular intervals and be weighed“

The State weigh stations are mainly looking for Overweight and improperly permitted vehicles. This has zero bearing on the rates a mover will charge it’s customer.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:33 AM

That’s not uncommon. The initial quote is just an estimate and until they weigh it they don’t know.

That said, unless you had a LOT of stuff, you were ripped off. That’s a crazy amount.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 06-18-2021, 06:35 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
When we signed the deal with a moving company in Northern Virginia they estimated $17,369.65. We are being charged $19,728.31, an overcharge of $2358.

Their explanation:

"Your initial Interstate estimate was based on an estimated weight. Your delivery to FL was based off of the actual weight and packing. Atlas charges and the non binding estimate are based on the actuals. Your local portion was higher because there was an increase in the packing when your shipment was picked up. "

They offered no details. So a moving company can estimate X to get you to sign, then charge you X + Y when the delivery is done.

Sweet business model, eh?
You signed the contract with an “estimate”. Youre fault for agreeing to it. You have no grounds to blame the movers
Old 06-18-2021, 06:55 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
Or simply do what I did and call and threaten to call the police
Why call the police? Its a civil matter. You signed an estimated contract. Its not a police matter. Everyone feels calling the police is their solution to everything
Old 06-18-2021, 07:14 AM

Moved with 2 12 foot pods for part 1, and 1 pod for part 2.

Contract limitation was 7000 lbs per pod.

Fixed quote for loading and unloading, stating 2 hours for each end of the move. Provided cost for extra hours.

We did all the packing on our end at start of move, as well as padding blankets, rope, and tie-downs.

Pods from 1-800-PackRat, load/unload help hired from HireAHelper.com

Contracts spelled out all the details, and what was covered/not covered if something went wrong.

When pods were picked up, they were weighed. Slight issue - one pod was overweight. Pickup delayed for a few days so we could remove a few items that we decided weren't really needed - item value was less expensive than cost of another pod.

Pods made the trek without issue. Stored in air-conditioned warehouse in Orlando until we were ready to receive goods.

We got multiple bids, reviewed contracts, read all the fine print, evaluated insurance options, etc.

No issues, great service, and bonus: on loading end, crew asked why we weren't moving everything from original home in Oregon. We said we didn't need it, and we asked the loading crew if they wanted any of it. They brought in another truck and took it off our hands. That was our tip. We didn't need to worry about disposing of the unwanted items - sofas, dining room chairs, table, and china cabinet, bed, and a few other items.

Beforehand, we also made the folks at Habitat for Humanity quite happy, too. We have a lot of stuff away to neighbors and friends.

With all that, we still moved too much stuff to Florida. Gave a lot away to Goodwill here.

Neighbor here helped us run a garage sale, and we donated proceeds to Wildwood Track Team.

Moving to Florida after 45 years in Oregon was the most stressful event of our lives so far.

Sooo happy to be here!
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 06-18-2021, 08:34 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Never had a move where the cost was not increased at the end. Your furniture is hostage. As to selling everything, some pieces have sentimental value but some of my furniture is really, really good stuff and the junk they sell now does not compare. Sometimes, keeping some select things is worth it.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:58 AM

There are at least 2 types of moves - “binding estimates” (also called fixed price) and estimates. After first move and we did 5 always selected the “binding estimate”. Move to The Villages resulted in an almost 3,000 lower than actual and it was on the moving company.
Closed Thread

Tags
based, moving, estimate, overcharge, delivery

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.