Owners Title Insurance. Yes or No

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2020, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
I would say with great confidence that over the Last 30 years, there has never been one, not one Case of owners title insurance for a Villages built and sold home Being needed for any legal problem. Save your money and don’t buy it. .
You may be correct, but I don't know how you could possibly know that there have been no title insurance cases in 30 years. A case like that would probably be resolved without a lot of publicity. But, I agree that there is far less title risk when you buy a new house in The Villages vs buying a preowned house. However, an owners title policy may cost as much as your annual homeowners insurance policy premium. The homeowners policy only lasts for one year, but the title insurance lasts forever. I am very careful when I spend money on things like insurance, but having title insurance on my house provides peace of mind. But, it is a personal decision and you are correct that the risk of a title problem with a new house is low.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
I have always included in my offer that the seller pay for title insurance and survey, always accepted.
Everything is negotiable in a real estate sale. What you are saying doesn't mean the seller will pay for these things. In my real estate business the seller provides the survey. Most of my sales are larger land properties. Title insurance is a must for a buyer. Buyers pay for that.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:21 PM

Cannot sue in the villages every contract has arbitration. A judge decides, elected officials who receives contributions from those who benefit the most the Billionaire Morse Family.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:24 PM

If I sell my free and clear house I must provide the buyer with the deed. The buyer must buy title insurance there is no state law mandating I pay his costs. Only costs each incur are required by law not by a real estate person whose interests are not with either party.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:58 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You may be correct, but I don't know how you could possibly know that there have been no title insurance cases in 30 years. A case like that would probably be resolved without a lot of publicity. But, I agree that there is far less title risk when you buy a new house in The Villages vs buying a preowned house. However, an owners title policy may cost as much as your annual homeowners insurance policy premium. The homeowners policy only lasts for one year, but the title insurance lasts forever. I am very careful when I spend money on things like insurance, but having title insurance on my house provides peace of mind. But, it is a personal decision and you are correct that the risk of a title problem with a new house is low.
Then, you should buy owners title insurance. As a retired federal contracting officer with extensive title, property and contract law experience, I’m advising you to save your money. The Villages lawyers have their land purchases sewed up very tight. If it gives you pease of mind then waste your money.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:19 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
Cannot sue in the villages every contract has arbitration. A judge decides, elected officials who receives contributions from those who benefit the most the Billionaire Morse Family.
You've read every contract?

Old 05-31-2020, 04:35 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
Then, you should buy owners title insurance. As a retired federal contracting officer with extensive title, property and contract law experience, I’m advising you to save your money. The Villages lawyers have their land purchases sewed up very tight. If it gives you pease of mind then waste your money.
With your experience, surely you know about construction liens.

ACCORDING TO FLORIDA'S CONSTRUCTION LIEN LAW (SECTIONS 713.001-713.37, FLORIDA STATUTES), THOSE WHO WORK ON YOUR PROPERTY OR PROVIDE MATERIALS AND SERVICES AND ARE NOT PAID IN FULL HAVE A RIGHT TO ENFORCE THEIR CLAIM FOR PAYMENT AGAINST YOUR PROPERTY. THIS CLAIM IS KNOWN AS A CONSTRUCTION LIEN.

So if the sub-contractor didn't pay for those roof shingles or the plumbing fixtures or anything else, the vendor CAN put a lien on the property before or after the deed is transferred. THIS is a great reason to have owners title insurance, no matter who pays for it.

Title Insurance: What It Is and Why You (Probably) Need It - NerdWallet
Old 05-31-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
if the sub-contractor didn't pay for those roof shingles or the plumbing fixtures or anything else, the vendor CAN put a lien on the property before or after the deed is transferred. THIS is a great reason to have owners title insurance, no matter who pays for it.
I have always hated to pay for title insurance in 8 home purchases. When you Google how title insurance companies often wriggle out of responsibility for faults it just backed all my misgivings. However, my wife always 'forced' me to buy it.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
With your experience, surely you know about construction liens.

ACCORDING TO FLORIDA'S CONSTRUCTION LIEN LAW (SECTIONS 713.001-713.37, FLORIDA STATUTES), THOSE WHO WORK ON YOUR PROPERTY OR PROVIDE MATERIALS AND SERVICES AND ARE NOT PAID IN FULL HAVE A RIGHT TO ENFORCE THEIR CLAIM FOR PAYMENT AGAINST YOUR PROPERTY. THIS CLAIM IS KNOWN AS A CONSTRUCTION LIEN.

So if the sub-contractor didn't pay for those roof shingles or the plumbing fixtures or anything else, the vendor CAN put a lien on the property before or after the deed is transferred. THIS is a great reason to have owners title insurance, no matter who pays for it.

Title Insurance: What It Is and Why You (Probably) Need It - NerdWallet
That is true and Florida law requires the contractor to file a mechanics lien within 90 days of the work completed that the builder has not paid. That lien is transferred to the buyer if agreed to by the buyer at time of closing. Your reaching, but I don’t feel ya. Do you work or own a title insurance company?
Old 06-01-2020, 02:53 AM
Veteran member

Keep in mind, I am only referring to Owners Title Insurance when buying a home from The Villages. The dot on a map for your property is just a speck of the large piece of property purchased to build houses on. A Construction lien, If applicable is between the contractor and the builder. I have not found a single unsettled construction lean on a villages home.
Closed Thread

Tags
buy, insurance, title, villages, owners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.