Paddle Tennis (Ball)

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Veteran member
Default Paddle Tennis (Ball)

Glad to see Paddle Tennis courts...that's a great sport. I played it first in Burlington, VT in the early 70's and later belonged to a league in Brookfield, CT until we moved out to Tucson in 78. This has motivated me to get back into playing shape....
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 03-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Veteran member

I thought the courts were platform tennis courts. The difference being with platform tennis you can play the ball off the wall or fence. With paddle tennis the wall is not in play. Also the court is smaller with platform tennis only 44 feet long where the paddle tennis court is 50 feet long. There are a few other differances with ball and paddle. The court of platform tennis is usually raised to allow for heating the floor. Not needed here.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
I thought the courts were platform tennis courts. The difference being with platform tennis you can play the ball off the wall or fence. With paddle tennis the wall is not in play. Also the court is smaller with platform tennis only 44 feet long where the paddle tennis court is 50 feet long. There are a few other differances with ball and paddle. The court of platform tennis is usually raised to allow for heating the floor. Not needed here.
Leave it it Elevatorman to know all about platform tennis.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Sage

Story in today's online version of the Daily Sun: http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/a...ews/news02.txt

And yes the ball can be played off the back fence and the players can bounce into the side fence (hopefully rebound off.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Veteran member

Rockn'roll elevatorman....I am here just to have fun....picky, picky, picky
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 03-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Visited SeaBreeze yesterday. That is definitely platform tennis (minus the platform). I used to play it up north as a winter sport. It is a fun doubles sport with points lasting longer and longer the more that you adapt to playing the ball off the fence. We used to sweat at twenty degrees; I can't imagine playing it too much in the summer. The courts used to be just about vacant from May through September.

The hardest thing as a tennis player to get used to is that you only get one serve. Even though the serve is overhead I still miss my second serve option. BTW, referring to it as paddle tennis is pretty common but incorrect.

One caveat: you are really close to your partner due to the size of the court, and there is a lot of wailing on the ball. Get ready for some racquet clashes until you get the communication down. One good thing is that the racquets have a handle cord that you slip your wrist through to prevent flying objects during the game. It really is a fun game.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Sage

Sounds like a mouth guard might be standard equipment!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.