Paint Brands

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2015, 06:21 PM
Default Paint Brands

It seems as though all the contractors in The Villages only use Sherwin Williams products???? WHY, it isn't one of the best paint products on the market for sure.

Consumer Reports holds a much different view as to what is the best brands of paint. It isn't SW paints. So why do so many painters use ONLY SW brand?

Can anyone enlighten me?
Old 02-24-2015, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

They give the contractors a good price.

Sherwin Williams isn't inferior.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldseekur View Post
It seems as though all the contractors in The Villages only use Sherwin Williams products???? WHY, it isn't one of the best paint products on the market for sure.

Consumer Reports holds a much different view as to what is the best brands of paint. It isn't SW paints. So why do so many painters use ONLY SW brand?

Can anyone enlighten me?
Kickback to the contractors.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:26 PM
Veteran member

The same reason they only use Mohawk carpet, deals with the developer/contractors.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:26 PM
Sage

I think the developer had an association with color wheel prior which is why that is what they used. I presume they are now working with Sherwin in some manner.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The top-of-the-line SW paints are very good. I can't speak for the builder grade SW paints.

Quote:

Can anyone enlighten me?
Old 02-25-2015, 02:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Can anyone enlighten me?
The cheapest price for anything wins every time!
Please don't ever expect the best,
even when you pay for an upgrade.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Are you talking about selecting upgrades from the builder for a new house or some other context? If it is the former then I would agree - select the lowest cost and replace it yourself later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
The cheapest price for anything wins every time!
Please don't ever expect the best,
even when you pay for an upgrade.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:20 AM

I have been using Sherwin Williams paint for 40 years and won't us anything else. I once painted the outside of a dark olive green house light gray, and it covered in one coat. It is quality paint.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:26 AM
Sage

And it beats the paints from the big box stores, hands down.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
And it beats the paints from the big box stores, hands down.
I hear you say that, but Behr paints are almost always in the top 2 in every review that I have read. SW is many times not even in the top 5. This is confusing to me then as why it is used so much by contractors. Maybe it is the $$$$ in kickbacks from the company, but Behr paint [which is usually in the top 2 brands] is almost $20 per gallon cheaper on a retail pricing.

OK regarding SW paints, as this seems my only choice of paint from companies I have gotten quotes from, can anyone share information regarding paint types.

I have one guy quoting the painting using Loxon XP paint for my stucco house and the other guy uses Superpaint.

LoxonXP is $10 per gallon more than the Superpaint, but the guy using the Loxon XP paint is $50 less for the whole job.

I understand some people want to make more profit, but my real question and concern is which one of these PAINT types is the better product? I also did call Seniors VS Crime and neither company has any "complaints" against them.

I have asked them both and heard their answer about the paint that they use, but I thought I could get a more unbiased answer from someone not "in the game" so to speak.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

Since the OP asked why the builders use Sherwin-Williams paint exclusively, I will answer that question first: volume discount.

Since the OP implied there are better paints out there, I will agree and add that there are many good paints, but the best paint for YOUR walls depends on what qualities are most important to you. Here is a good paint review with pros and cons of paint from different manufacturers and different paints within a manufacturer's line:

Best Interior Paints - Editor's Picks

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 02-25-2015, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[/// Nothing nasty. I was trying to say something helpful but bagboy's post..(below)made it clearer to me.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,042 Times in 369 Posts

Behr interior paint.. back in 1998 I bought Behr paint for my interior. It was the worst paint I had ever used.
NOW fast forward...last year I asked my licensed home improvement son-in-law what type of interior paint to use in my Villages home. He recommended Behr Ultra Premium Plus (has primer in it). I was totally against it, but trusted his judgement.
WOW !!! It worked great, covered my dull beige walls beautifully regardless of the color I was using. And only one coat was necessary. I haven't tried their exterior paint, but I am guessing it is pretty good. By the way, Home Depot and Lowe's both offer contractors a discount on paint, the discount is based on volume purchased. Hope this info based on my experience helps.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:55 AM
Platinum member

I used SW for one room and Behr for another. The Behr covered much better.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.