Paint Brands

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
Since the OP asked why the builders use Sherwin-Williams paint exclusively, I will answer that question first: volume discount.

Since the OP implied there are better paints out there, I will agree and add that there are many good paints, but the best paint for YOUR walls depends on what qualities are most important to you. Here is a good paint review with pros and cons of paint from different manufacturers and different paints within a manufacturer's line:

Best Interior Paints - Editor's Picks
Thanks for the website information. Very helpful
Old 02-25-2015, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldseekur View Post
Thanks for the website information. Very helpful
You might choose the painter you like and trust and tell him you are willing to pay xxx extra to have the paint you want. He has a margin that he uses to set his prices. If you are willing to pay him more for premium paint, maybe you and he would be happy with the deal..
Old 02-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Painted the outside and inside of our stucco home with top of the line Valspar from Lowes. It has the primer in the paint... Covered in one coat and sealed the stucco from water penetration. Not cheap but very good results.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You might choose the painter you like and trust and tell him you are willing to pay xxx extra to have the paint you want. He has a margin that he uses to set his prices. If you are willing to pay him more for premium paint, maybe you and he would be happy with the deal..
Thanks, I think I will give this a try.

I did find a contractor on TOTV that said on the website that they use Behr paint, BUT after 2 calls and one email with no response, I don't think I will be using them.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
....Since the OP implied there are better paints out there, I will agree and add that there are many good paints, but the best paint for YOUR walls depends on what qualities are most important to you. Here is a good paint review with pros and cons of paint from different manufacturers and different paints within a manufacturer's line:

Best Interior Paints - Editor's Picks
I had a professional painter use the Benjamin Moore Aura mentioned in the above linked article on our previous home and it came out great. Yes, it cost me more but I felt it was worth it!!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:43 PM
Gold member

Ben Moore is one of the best paints out there but SW is good. Not sure how they rate paints as being better. Ease of application Coverage Durability. I think that HD Behr paint got high ratings but a lot of people don't like it. It's your money so buy what you want.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Are you talking about selecting upgrades from the builder for a new house or some other context? If it is the former then I would agree - select the lowest cost and replace it yourself later.
Yes, sorry I didn't make that clear. I was speaking about a new house.

We have done quite a few after market upgrades and in some cases,
we got a better product for between one-third to one-half less than it would have cost through the deveoper.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:18 AM

Most paint brands are produced in several quality levels from 'builders' level paint barely good enough to get the house sold to premium levels which will cover better and last much longer. So the brand isn't as important as the relative quality level.

I'll trust the recommendations from organizations, like Consumer Reports, who have objectively tested the paints before asking a painter who isn't really equipped to provide that level of knowledge.

I've painted a few houses and can tell you that surface preparation, careful application technique and using the correct paint for the purpose are MUCH more important than just paint brand alone.

Personally, I'd first select a painter who I know does excellent work and then, if necessary, buy the paint myself.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:33 AM

I agree. I have tried others, and now will only use Sherwin Williams, especially on the contractor paint that comes on all the new houses. Also, have had wonderful service at all the Sherwin William stores, especially the Sumter Landing store. They also usually have 30% off on a regular basis, which makes them competitive price wise too.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.