Paint Storage for Summer

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-31-2020, 12:02 PM
Natalino Natalino is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 3
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Paint Storage for Summer

Is it okay to store paint cans and spray paint in the garage during the summer months?
  #2  
Old 03-31-2020, 12:11 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6,481
Thanks: 671
Thanked 4,983 Times in 1,823 Posts
Default

If you are referring to the small cans of spray paint, they will probably be clogged up no matter where you store them. For larger cans, I would suggest that you buy new plastic, screw top paint containers from Lowes or Home Depot. The metal cans will cause the paint to dry out and could also rust and leak onto your garage floor.
  #3  
Old 03-31-2020, 12:12 PM
photo1902 photo1902 is online now
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,329
Thanks: 726
Thanked 816 Times in 343 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalino View Post
Is it okay to store paint cans and spray paint in the garage during the summer months?
I have over 20 one-gallon containers of paint (some from my home, most leftover from jobs) that I've keep in my garage. Never had a problem. Just make sure the lid is on tight.
  #4  
Old 03-31-2020, 12:34 PM
dsnrbec dsnrbec is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 227
Thanks: 145
Thanked 117 Times in 17 Posts
Default

We were told by a painting contractor not to keep paint in the garage. We store ours in the cabinet above our refrigerator since we seldom need to access it.
  #5  
Old 03-31-2020, 12:44 PM
champion6's Avatar
champion6 champion6 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tamarind Grove
Posts: 5,083
Thanks: 3
Thanked 560 Times in 238 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalino View Post
Is it okay to store paint cans and spray paint in the garage during the summer months?
I would toss or give away the spray paint. A snowbird-neighbor of mine had an aerosol can of paint split at the seam (that is, explode) during the summer. It was on an shelving unit near his golf cart. To say it was a terrible mess is an understatement.
  #6  
Old 03-31-2020, 12:48 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6,481
Thanks: 671
Thanked 4,983 Times in 1,823 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnrbec View Post
We were told by a painting contractor not to keep paint in the garage. We store ours in the cabinet above our refrigerator since we seldom need to access it.
Wherever you store metal paint cans, they can rust and leak. I would at least place them in some type of plastic tray or storage bin to protect your cabinets and floors. I once had several paint cans stored on shelving in a basement. The bottoms rusted out and the paint ran all over the basement floor. I think that pouring the paint into heavy duty plastic containers is a cleaner and better way to go. My opinion.
  #7  
Old 03-31-2020, 01:47 PM
bluedivergirl bluedivergirl is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 409
Thanks: 35
Thanked 126 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Wherever you store metal paint cans, they can rust and leak. I would at least place them in some type of plastic tray or storage bin to protect your cabinets and floors. I once had several paint cans stored on shelving in a basement. The bottoms rusted out and the paint ran all over the basement floor. I think that pouring the paint into heavy duty plastic containers is a cleaner and better way to go. My opinion.
I agree with you. We stored paint in the garage. One of the cans rusted badly, and it discolored the paint. Couldn't use it.
  #8  
Old 03-31-2020, 03:42 PM
dsnrbec dsnrbec is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 227
Thanks: 145
Thanked 117 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedivergirl View Post
I agree with you. We stored paint in the garage. One of the cans rusted badly, and it discolored the paint. Couldn't use it.
I wonder if having it in a climate controlled place would keep rust from happening? With the heat and humidity in our garages I’m not surprised they would deteriorate but I’ve never had any other metal container rust inside the house. What am I missing?
  #9  
Old 03-31-2020, 04:32 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6,481
Thanks: 671
Thanked 4,983 Times in 1,823 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnrbec View Post
I wonder if having it in a climate controlled place would keep rust from happening? With the heat and humidity in our garages I’m not surprised they would deteriorate but I’ve never had any other metal container rust inside the house. What am I missing?
I think the paint itself, if it is water based, creates an environment for rusting. I wonder why paint stores don't use better containers for their paint. They sell the paint in a soft metal can that you need to use a hammer to close it tight. Not good for long term storage.
  #10  
Old 04-01-2020, 05:14 AM
Rwirish Rwirish is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 372
Thanks: 2
Thanked 480 Times in 196 Posts
Default

They will dry out.
  #11  
Old 04-01-2020, 06:18 AM
stadry stadry is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again
Posts: 328
Thanks: 142
Thanked 226 Times in 111 Posts
Default

more important to record paint codes so store can match mix,,, understand saving leftover paint especially colors for the most often nicked places that need touchups
why does paint come in soft metal cans ? because paint's not designed for long-term storage,,, we buy mostly in 5's which are plastic & we can store but never for more than 6mos
  #12  
Old 04-01-2020, 06:41 AM
davem4616 davem4616 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,787
Thanks: 377
Thanked 3,050 Times in 912 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
more important to record paint codes so store can match mix,,, understand saving leftover paint especially colors for the most often nicked places that need touchups
why does paint come in soft metal cans ? because paint's not designed for long-term storage,,, we buy mostly in 5's which are plastic & we can store but never for more than 6mos

Ha, I've been keeping leftover paint in a spare filing cabinet in my garage...never realizing that even after all these years living in Florida I'm still thinking like a 'northerner' when it comes to some things...

keeping a record of the paint code makes all the sense in the world...and the reality is now that the kids are grown and left the coop they are no longer wreaking havoc with the walls and there's very little touch up needed

thanks to the OP for opening my eyes on paint storage
  #13  
Old 04-01-2020, 06:56 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6,481
Thanks: 671
Thanked 4,983 Times in 1,823 Posts
Default

I have found that some paint stores don't even know how to mix paint with a paint code unless it is their code. A few years ago, I took the builder's color code to Home Depot, and they couldn't make the paint. All you really need is a color sample and they can match the color with their automated mixing machine.
  #14  
Old 04-01-2020, 07:16 AM
greenflash245 greenflash245 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 253
Thanks: 3
Thanked 93 Times in 67 Posts
Default

are you talking about the refer in your kitchen?
  #15  
Old 04-01-2020, 08:42 AM
TandHSTAR@AOL.com TandHSTAR@AOL.com is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 203
Thanks: 22
Thanked 147 Times in 82 Posts
Default

I store paint in the garage. I cover the can with cellophane before I put the lid on. Not sure how or why it stops film from forming on top of paint. Have done this for years. If there is just a small amount left in can I store in a large glass jar like spaghetti sauce comes in. Again cover with celophane then screw on top. Both instances also makes easier to open for touch ups.
Closed Thread

Tags
paint, summer, garage, spray, store

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.