Paint Storage for Summer

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2020, 09:34 AM

I have stored paint in garages and barns for years. While not an issue here, allowing the paint to freeze was a bigger issue (freezing destroys the paint). I occasionally check the cans for leakage, and then open the lid to see if the paint has deteriorated. In over 25 years of doing this, I never had a paint can (quart or gallon) leak. Obviously, spray cans are a different issue. The warning label speaks to keeping the spray cans in an area where the temperature is less than 120 deg F. Storing old spray cans in high temp areas after a few years can be messy as one poster noted.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:41 AM

I transferred leftover paint from the can to plastic bottles, like what cran-grape comes in. Makes a much better container, easy to shake up and pour out a little when needed for touchups.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflash245 View Post
are you talking about the refer in your kitchen?
Never kept it in the kitchen. Does that keep it fresh ?
Old 04-01-2020, 10:15 AM

using the above the fridge cabinets was a good idea. moved my paint from closet in house to there, all fit. more space in the closet now.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalino View Post
Is it okay to store paint cans and spray paint in the garage during the summer months?
Paint manufactures engage in "Planned obsolescence". Any water based paint will eventually rust in a metal can. The more air space there is the more the can will rust, making the remaining paint useless. If you want to preserve the paint you would have to transfer it to a plastic container, with an air tight top. I save empty laundry detergent containers and use them for storing left over paint. Paint can be stored in your garage, but it will thicken with higher temperatures. Just add water to thin it before using, assuming it is water based paint. For cans of spray paint, just make sure you clean the nozzle thoroughly after using.
Closed Thread

Tags
paint, summer, garage, spray, store

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.