Painting a block stucco house

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2019, 05:19 PM
Sage
Default Painting a block stucco house

Noticed 2 neighbors have had their houses painted-both homes are aprox. 9 yrs old--Is this normal in TV?

What signs indicate its time for a paint job ?
Old 07-16-2019, 05:41 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Dear Chatbrat,

Yes, it is normal and prudent. On a concrete block stucco home the only thing protecting your home from moisture intrusion, (the #1 enemy of your home) is your paint. A stucco home usually needs repainting every 7-10 years.....perhaps longer IF you use a better quality paint than is on the home.

Actually, we tell people that they should look at the stucco annually and caulk any and all cracking with elastomeric stucco caulk and then touch up where the cracks were with paint.

Of course, many folks neglect to do everything I just wrote....and perhaps they "get by" until a major rain event occurs...then water gets into those micro-cracks and into your block, then down to the slab, base molding, carpets, etc. Not good.

Signs of your home needing paint is the paint fading, chalking, (coming off on your hand when touching the stucco), cracks, etc.

I personally think it is pretty easy to paint the home yourself IF you do proper prep work, (always the secret of a good paint job). Of course, most folks will hire it out which is fine as long as they choose a GOOD painter AND a good quality paint.

Of course, I'm pretty much a do it yourself kind of guy...I designed and built my own house and delivered all three of my sons.

Nothing freshens up the look of an older house like a good coat of paint.

A good job should involve moving soil/mulch/stone away from the soil line, cleaning the stucco, caulking and/or repairing all cracks, rolling the paint on with a good thick napped roller, etc.etc...

Hope that helps!

Frank D.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Of course, I'm pretty much a do it yourself kind of guy...I designed and built my own house and delivered all three of my sons.

So your wife didn't want them?
Old 07-17-2019, 05:48 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Dear Chatbrat,

Yes, it is normal and prudent. On a concrete block stucco home the only thing protecting your home from moisture intrusion, (the #1 enemy of your home) is your paint. A stucco home usually needs repainting every 7-10 years.....perhaps longer IF you use a better quality paint than is on the home.

Actually, we tell people that they should look at the stucco annually and caulk any and all cracking with elastomeric stucco caulk and then touch up where the cracks were with paint.

Of course, many folks neglect to do everything I just wrote....and perhaps they "get by" until a major rain event occurs...then water gets into those micro-cracks and into your block, then down to the slab, base molding, carpets, etc. Not good.

Signs of your home needing paint is the paint fading, chalking, (coming off on your hand when touching the stucco), cracks, etc.

I personally think it is pretty easy to paint the home yourself IF you do proper prep work, (always the secret of a good paint job). Of course, most folks will hire it out which is fine as long as they choose a GOOD painter AND a good quality paint.

Nothing freshens up the look of an older house like a good coat of paint.

A good job should involve moving soil/mulch/stone away from the soil line, cleaning the stucco, caulking and/or repairing all cracks, rolling the paint on with a good thick napped roller, etc.etc...

Hope that helps!

Frank D.
Thank you. It has been over 5 years. I will look harder and start researching a good painter.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Just had Steve Kline Painting paint our home 8 years old .Much better job and quality of paint that what originally came with the home
Like night and day
Old 07-17-2019, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Florida sun is brutal and fades all paint badly. Ours is close to nine years old.

We had a wonderful painter and family paint ours a couple of weeks ago. They powerwashed it first and gave it two coats. All are welcome to come by and see it up close. They used Sherwin Williams semi-gloss. Checked the colors with warranty to match the original.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	GE's Painting.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	80193   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_9283.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	80194  

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-17-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Had mine done at the 8 year mark. Was starting to show fading & some small hairline cracks. Had it done 2 coats with a similar cooler House & Trim. Made a difference. Also repaired any caulking issues. Elastomeric Masonry,Stucco Paint. Great coverage
Old 07-17-2019, 08:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Had mine done at the 8 year mark. Was starting to show fading & some small hairline cracks. Had it done 2 coats with a similar cooler House & Trim. Made a difference. Also repaired any caulking issues. Elastomeric Masonry,Stucco Paint. Great coverage
Who did yours, Skip?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 07-17-2019, 11:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Who did yours, Skip?
Did it myself except for the Peaks which I hired a guy for them as I'm not a roof man anymore. If you need the number for the guy i used let me know!
Old 07-17-2019, 12:52 PM
Sage

Just checked our house its due, we'll use Oscar's. have had a relationship with Oscar from when he , went into his own business
Old 07-17-2019, 12:59 PM

Had Steve Kline Painting paint our home. He is quick to respond and correct any problems that come up after the painting. Uses the best paint and the quality really shows. He also repainted all outdoor lighting and driveway lights.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 07-17-2019, 02:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Did it myself except for the Peaks which I hired a guy for them as I'm not a roof man anymore. If you need the number for the guy i used let me know!
OK, thanks.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 07-17-2019, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I live in a masonry CYV's that were new in 2011. We have 80 units and 32 have had theirs repainted in the past year. They had a petition and we're allowed to change from the original tan color to one of 20 selected colors. So a lot of people repainted just so they could get a new color. Green, gray, cream and dark brown and light brown are the ones I've seen so far. Some have even left it the original color, three people on my block repainted the original color. I'm thinking of going with the green with cream trim. I wanted white, but that's not avaible.

Of the 28, two did it themselves, 25 chose Oscar and the last one used Steve Kline. I believe Oscar charges about $1500 for the CYV, which includes coming out in advance and power-washing the home. My next door neighbor did it himself and used Sherwin Williams, which was the original brand. He said it was $80 a gallon but he waited until they had a sale for $40 a gallon. He took 8 gallons, he brushed it on and took about two weeks. I believe all the professionals will use a sprayer and they're done in one day.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:42 PM
Sage

There are all different levels of Sherwin Williams paints, real good paint . you'll get double the life --just like tires-again the above shows Oscar is a good guy, he used to work for Constantino--bless him he's living the American dream-work hard, be honest= success & a good life
Old 07-17-2019, 03:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I live in a masonry CYV's that were new in 2011. We have 80 units and 32 have had theirs repainted in the past year. They had a petition and we're allowed to change from the original tan color to one of 20 selected colors. So a lot of people repainted just so they could get a new color. Green, gray, cream and dark brown and light brown are the ones I've seen so far. Some have even left it the original color, three people on my block repainted the original color. I'm thinking of going with the green with cream trim. I wanted white, but that's not avaible.

Of the 28, two did it themselves, 25 chose Oscar and the last one used Steve Kline. I believe Oscar charges about $1500 for the CYV, which includes coming out in advance and power-washing the home. My next door neighbor did it himself and used Sherwin Williams, which was the original brand. He said it was $80 a gallon but he waited until they had a sale for $40 a gallon. He took 8 gallons, he brushed it on and took about two weeks. I believe all the professionals will use a sprayer and they're done in one day.
Thanks for the great info!

Tags
normal, old--is, yrs, paint, job

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.