Painting a block stucco house

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2019, 04:20 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
So your wife didn't want them?
Oh no Ed....she wanted them....she was just tired of carrying them for 9 months, so I delivered them and then carried them for like 18 years......haha!

Frank
Old 07-17-2019, 05:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I live in a masonry CYV's that were new in 2011. We have 80 units and 32 have had theirs repainted in the past year. They had a petition and we're allowed to change from the original tan color to one of 20 selected colors. So a lot of people repainted just so they could get a new color. Green, gray, cream and dark brown and light brown are the ones I've seen so far. Some have even left it the original color, three people on my block repainted the original color. I'm thinking of going with the green with cream trim. I wanted white, but that's not avaible.

Of the 28, two did it themselves, 25 chose Oscar and the last one used Steve Kline. I believe Oscar charges about $1500 for the CYV, which includes coming out in advance and power-washing the home. My next door neighbor did it himself and used Sherwin Williams, which was the original brand. He said it was $80 a gallon but he waited until they had a sale for $40 a gallon. He took 8 gallons, he brushed it on and took about two weeks. I believe all the professionals will use a sprayer and they're done in one day.
Steve Kling painted our 10 year old Lilly, it was way over due. Three guys, One day to power wash and remove all fixtures to refinish. 2 .5 days to paint using only brushes and rollers. Door was refinished on day 4.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Steve Kling painted our 10 year old Lilly, it was way over due. Three guys, One day to power wash and remove all fixtures to refinish. 2 .5 days to paint using only brushes and rollers. Door was refinished on day 4.
What did it cost? Really curious why they would roll when they could spray it on - no real difference. Did you make a significant change to the color?
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 07-18-2019, 02:21 AM
Sage

Spraying uses too much paint, painted our house & out buildings in NJ better thicker coverage, but uses way more paint
Old 07-18-2019, 02:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
What did it cost? Really curious why they would roll when they could spray it on - no real difference. Did you make a significant change to the color?
House was so faded from what we think was a maybe beige, it looked pinkish. Doesn’t matter the color, he doesn’t spray, told us you can really tell the difference. We got 3 quotes, Steve was the high end, but refinishing all fixtures, light pole, and front door and the look compared to a sprayed house, made it worth while.
5 homes were painted same week with other companies, two already are showing fading in direct sun. One that was sprayed in a day already looks like it was never painted. Ours is second year, no color change from direct sun walls, or complete shade wall.

Last edited by thelegges; 07-18-2019 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:00 AM
Sage

Just signed a contract with Oscar, for a designer, includes painting exterior light fixtures, and fixing two interior seam splits, he will use a superior grade Sherwin Williams ,also includes all prep

$2200.00
Old 07-18-2019, 10:05 AM

Heres a word of advice if you're thinking about repainting your home... The sun is constantly penetrating the exterior walls of your home and because of that, your paint is much more faded than the original color. If you do plan on painting the entire house, you will have no problems. However, if you plan on painting just one exterior wall, or a small portion of your home, the colors WILL NOT match because of the fading. Trust me, I have had this problem in the past and the only way for me to fix it was to completely repaint my whole house.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:38 PM
Default Oscar's Painting

We used Oscar's Painting in 2017 to repaint our stucco house, and were very pleased with the price & results. It was power washed first, caulked & 2 coats of Sherwin Williams paint rolled on. Phone # 352-361-4414 or 352-553-8661. According to his business card, he's been painting in TV for 15 years!
Old 07-18-2019, 03:17 PM
Sage

He worked for Constantino before he went into his own business--He is living the American dream, when we first met him about 7 years ago he & his wife were working out of an old truck, we, used them for custom paint in out MBR, --right now he has 5 trucks, not bad for a family man who emigrated from Guatemala--America is truly the land of opportunity-he embraced us when he came over for an estimate today
Old 07-18-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachellanham View Post
Heres a word of advice if you're thinking about repainting your home... The sun is constantly penetrating the exterior walls of your home and because of that, your paint is much more faded than the original color. If you do plan on painting the entire house, you will have no problems. However, if you plan on painting just one exterior wall, or a small portion of your home, the colors WILL NOT match because of the fading. Trust me, I have had this problem in the past and the only way for me to fix it was to completely repaint my whole house.
So true. Take a look at some houses where touch up paint on a wall was done and it looks bad and does not match original color...all streaks.
Five years is about all the original builders paint will last. I used Steve Kling and high quality Sherwin Williams satin paint was used. What a difference - he is a slighthly higher than others but fixtures get painted and new weatherstripping and threshold on front door and garage installed. In addition there is a lifetime warranty and the Sherwin Williams rep has to inspect and sign off on the completed job
Old 07-18-2019, 08:30 PM

Just had our 2000 sq. ft. Gardenia with 3 car garage painted by Steve Kling. Cost included painting the exterior lights and light post plus the inside of the lanai, garage doors and front door. Also included was all new front door weather stripping. Prep work included pressure wash and digging out sod or landscaping material below grade so that paint can be applied to all the stucco. Any needed caulking repairs, one coat of color tinted Loxon primer was sprayed on, then top coats of Sherwin Williams Resiliance paint was applied via brush and roller. Sherwin Williams rep came out two days later along with touch up crew to go over the entire job to insure quality. Total cost $2,850. We liked his work so well we had him paint the entire interior.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Sage

Steve Kling could be nominated for sainthood. He painted our house three times in 2-1/2 years. The first time my husband was distracted when we made the color selection and he absolutely hated the outcome. We offered to pay to have it redone. The second time Sherwin Wms messed up the paint order: right color, wrong shade. The third time was a Goldilocks moment, "just right." Through all this Steve and wife Michelle were patient and fair. My husband jokes that if the concrete blocks were removed the house would still stand due to all the paint.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Spraying uses too much paint, painted our house & out buildings in NJ better thicker coverage, but uses way more paint
Not really, most spray paint is watered down so thin it don’t last long
Old 07-19-2019, 07:12 PM
Sage

These homes are referred to as CBS which stands for cement block, stucco. Many from the north call the cement blocks cinder blocks, but there isn't any cinders in them, just cement. They usually need painting every 8 years or so but especially sealed to prevent water intrusion thru the walls. I had a home in south Florida that water had seeped through the wall and caused the carpet to become wet.

Tags
normal, old--is, yrs, paint, job

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.