Painting closet trim/baseboards

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2020, 03:28 PM
Default Painting closet trim/baseboards

My house is 8 years old and am guessing that the trim/baseboards were painted with oil based paint.

When the rest of the house was painted a few weeks ago professionally, the painters sanded the trim/baseboards prior to painting them.

What I can tell from my google research, sanding is required if they painted with a latex paint.

Can I paint the closet trim/baseboards with oil based paint and skip the sanding?

thank you!
Old 11-20-2020, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayerose View Post
My house is 8 years old and am guessing that the trim/baseboards were painted with oil based paint.

When the rest of the house was painted a few weeks ago professionally, the painters sanded the trim/baseboards prior to painting them.

What I can tell from my google research, sanding is required if they painted with a latex paint.

Can I paint the closet trim/baseboards with oil based paint and skip the sanding?

thank you!
My home in Mallory Square, build in 2007, has oil based paint on the baseboards, wood trim and interior wood doors. I have used oil based paint to touch up the doors and trim.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:43 PM

With no sanding, correct?
Old 11-20-2020, 04:02 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Do not put oil based paint over latex

Quote:

thank you!
Never put oil based paint over Latex. 99% of the homes in the Villages have a water borne paint on the trim. I did my painting apprenticeship in the 60s, and painted for over 40yrs. Sherwin Williams makes Pro Classic water borne enamel. I highly recommend you use it. A very light sanding with a sanding sponge should be sufficient.
Len Retired half of Investment Painting Contractors.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

I am not sure, but I would be surprised if your house has oil based paint. I would scrape off a piece and take it to a paint store to see if they can tell you what type it is. My guess is water based.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:09 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

The touch-up paint I received when purchasing the home was water-based clean up brushes with water. You should sand wood lightly aids in adhesion of new paint to old.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:11 PM

Check with the Villages Warranty Dept. They have records of all the materials used in building your house.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:

thank you!
You guessed correctly. 2015/2016’ish The Villages switched to latex for trim. Sherwin Williams has a latex which can be applied over oil based paint with no issues or skimming.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Our house circa 2009, according to warranty dept, is all latex inc doors & trim. Doors & trim was semi-gloss. Paint was from Florida Paint. They gave us the color number and Florida Paint duplicated it 100%. Tried a "color matched" paint from Lowes originally when we moved in in 2017 and while it was close it was very obvious on the walls where it was repainted. The Florida Paint was 100% perfect. Bottom line, check with warranty dept,
Old 11-20-2020, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
With no sanding, correct?
No sanding is necessary unless you want to even out pealing paint.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Our 2013 vintage house has OIL based paint for the trim, I have the original touchup paint. I would go to Sherwin Williams and get the suitable primer to allow painting a latex paint over oil based paint. Sanding may be involved as I have not tried this yet.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:47 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Our 2013 vintage house has OIL based paint for the trim, I have the original touchup paint. I would go to Sherwin Williams and get the suitable primer to allow painting a latex paint over oil based paint. Sanding may be involved as I have not tried this yet.
Latex can go over Oil but not the other way around without prime. After you use the oil don't forget the thinner to clean your brush.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:37 AM
Default Oil or latex

You can determine if your woodwork is oil or latex by sanding a small painted area and smelling the sandpaper. You can use latex paint over oil base paint, but it is not recommended to use oil base paint over latex. QUOTE=jayerose;1863464]My house is 8 years old and am guessing that the trim/baseboards were painted with oil based paint.

thank you![/QUOTE]
Old 11-21-2020, 06:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:

thank you!
Almost certainly your house’s interior was painted with latex, with the walls spray painted and the trim painted with a brush. Oil took a lot longer to dry and cure and off-gas. If it has a popcorn ceiling, as mine does, that was also sprayed. Yes, you can paint the closet trim with latex. I recommend that you spend a couple minutes cleaning off dust or dirt with a wet washcloth, so the paint will stick better. That’s plenty.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

thank you!
You only need to sand if you are changing types of paint. If they are oil based then you can do oil base without sanding.
Closed Thread

Tags
trim/baseboards, paint, painted, painting, sanding

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.