Panic buying

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2020, 11:28 AM
Default Panic buying

Why are we still panic buying? Huge crowds showing up for senior hours. Please stop the hysteria.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:40 AM

Here's a suggestion that might curtail some of the herd mentality.

Walk down the line with your phone set to record a video of the crowd.

Upload to facebook / youtube.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Technically you shouldn’t video without permission
Old 03-24-2020, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,373 Times in 3,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Technically you shouldn’t video without permission
Technically as long as you're doing it in public, it's legal. There exists such a thing as "expectation of privacy." You have none of that in public spaces.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

It certainly must have been when Publix and others decided to have senior hour they were not focused on TV but all their other non-senior-bubble locations.

Must be some in TV that think there will be fewer people in the store during senior hour!

In TV senior shopping is ALL DAY! No need to hurry and pack the store from 8-9 AM
Old 03-24-2020, 02:07 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

I don't understand why the lines at stores even exist. My wife walked into Wynn Dixie late yesterday morning, picked up 3 lbs. of ground beef, 2 steaks, some veggies, bread, and a few other items, only one person in line at checkout. Since this all started she has done this 3 times and never had a problem. We also pick up items at the local Dollar Stores and they never have a lot of customers.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:09 PM

A result of groupthink. If everyone else is doing it, I should be doing it, too?
Old 03-24-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I don't understand why the lines at stores even exist. My wife walked into Wynn Dixie late yesterday morning, picked up 3 lbs. of ground beef, 2 steaks, some veggies, bread, and a few other items, only one person in line at checkout. Since this all started she has done this 3 times and never had a problem. We also pick up items at the local Dollar Stores and they never have a lot of customers.
Yep. I stopped at Dollar Tree on 466a for a few things and they had lots of toilet paper. Four small rolls for a dollar. I told the cashier that I would post this and she said "OMG. They will be lined up out the door."
Old 03-24-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Probably won't happen again, now that you "let the cat out of the bag", lol. With Publix, Walmart and Sams depleted, everyone will now run to Winn-Dixie. Someone needs to get a grip on whatever it is that's going on because those of us who have to rely on the online shopping & pick-up are lost..... I have been trying for over 2 weeks to order eggs, bread and have not been able to get either yet. Now, you can't even get an order in on Walmarts site and Sams has nothing available. Publix had nothing available yesterday on Insta-cart. I am more worried about our food supply than the virus at this point. And with the limits in place now, you can't ask friends to pick-up something, if that person happens to need it also.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,303 Times in 866 Posts

Heard on the 11:00 news last night that senior shopping was established because that is the cleanest the stores will be. Had nothing to do with availability of product. Who knew?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-25-2020, 05:06 AM

Quote:
2 steaks! Wow....when we got to check out our cashier at WD told us one pkg only. Had to send one back.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritabob View Post
Why are we still panic buying? Huge crowds showing up for senior hours. Please stop the hysteria.
I was told, many, many years ago, "You cannot underestimate the stupidity of the masses". And as I have learned, this is a truism.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Technically as long as you're doing it in public, it's legal. There exists such a thing as "expectation of privacy." You have none of that in public spaces.

Anyone can be photographed from a distance but harassment is subject to civil and criminal penalties.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:27 AM
Default Hear! Hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritabob View Post
Hear! Hear!
Old 03-25-2020, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

it seems that we live in a world of "me first" mentality...nobody wants to risk having to
'do without'...and no one wants to wait for anything

If you live in TV you have enough $$$ that you're not worrying where your next hot dog comes from...so relax and continue to come from a place of abundance, not from a place of scarcity

the village folks that ate out all the time certainly had to 'stock up'....hopefully they developed their shopping lists based upon a planned menu vs. just wandering through the aisles grabbing what they could

those of us that ate out moderately had an ample supply of food in our freezers that we'd replenish as needed routinely

We who live in TV will survive....it's the folks outside that are the most at risk...they don't have the financial reserves that we do

I urge you to take advantage of the 2-for-1 deals and drop the second item off at a local food bank
Closed Thread

Tags
panic, buying, stop, hours, senior

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.