Panic buying of toilet paper, really?

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2020, 10:29 AM

I'm not panicking, but... when I couldn't find toilet paper on Amazon, Walmart or Target I felt a bit apprehensive. Finally found some TP at an office supply site but the smallest order was a carton of 96 rolls. Got a good price and I'll eventually use it. Or sell it, hee hee!
Old 03-15-2020, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevjudbaker View Post
I agree. They said use Kleenex instead of a handkerchief which makes sense yet they are buying toilet paper. I don't understand water. Our water isn't going to be shut off. I use the filtered water from our refrigerator why would we need bottled water? This is a virus. Usually we have to let a virus take its course. No antibacterial cleaning agents kill the virus. This virus isn't in the air it is on surfaces we touch. Using a Kleenex makes more sense to open doors push elevator buttons & etc but each time throw the Kleenex in a bag that you carry along. Best thing just stay home if you can. Soap & water is the best safety measure but only friction kills the virus so wash your hands often for at least 20 seconds.
Not everyone has a water dispenser in their refrigerator. Not everyone has a water filter for their tap. I do have a water filter for the kitchen sink but it came with the house, it's old, and I don't know how to change it. So even if I had to drink tapwater, I don't know if it'd be palatable. Probably not, given Florida's absolutely craptastic tap water.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:02 AM

Since we all love tossing around numbers on this website thought I would get down and dirty sort of. If you estimate 4 sheets of paper per use, 4 sets per trip to the throne that is 16 total sheets per trip. That means per 1000 sheet roll of TP you get 62.5 trips to the hallowed throne. If there are 2 people in the home that is just about a month of use when regular and not having a meal from a Thai or Mexican restaurant. Then all of this goes down the drain when you eat those little peppers. So with a basic use a 6 pack of TP should go for about 5.5 months. Uh oh, the better half just stepped in and reminded me her usage is very different. Going to start shredding the newspaper!!! Please keep a sense of humor it makes things better, help others and stay safe.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:12 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
Since we all love tossing around numbers on this website thought I would get down and dirty sort of. If you estimate 4 sheets of paper per use, 4 sets per trip to the throne that is 16 total sheets per trip. That means per 1000 sheet roll of TP you get 62.5 trips to the hallowed throne. If there are 2 people in the home that is just about a month of use when regular and not having a meal from a Thai or Mexican restaurant. Then all of this goes down the drain when you eat those little peppers. So with a basic use a 6 pack of TP should go for about 5.5 months. Uh oh, the better half just stepped in and reminded me her usage is very different. Going to start shredding the newspaper!!! Please keep a sense of humor it makes things better, help others and stay safe.
Back when I was a teenager this was passed around: How do the Chinese use toilet paper? Take one square, fold it into quarters and remove a nickel size piece from the center. Unfold it. Wipe with your finger through the hole. Draw your finger back through the hole to wipe it off. Then take the removed center piece and clean your fingernail. I truly hope it does not come to that!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-15-2020, 11:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Back when I was a teenager this was passed around: How do the Chinese use toilet paper? Take one square, fold it into quarters and remove a nickel size piece from the center. Unfold it. Wipe with your finger through the hole. Draw your finger back through the hole to wipe it off. Then take the removed center piece and clean your fingernail. I truly hope it does not come to that!
This should just about do it this thread
Old 03-15-2020, 11:47 AM

Try this.

The Villages Florida
Old 03-15-2020, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevjudbaker View Post
I agree. They said use Kleenex instead of a handkerchief which makes sense yet they are buying toilet paper. I don't understand water. Our water isn't going to be shut off. I use the filtered water from our refrigerator why would we need bottled water? This is a virus. Usually we have to let a virus take its course. No antibacterial cleaning agents kill the virus. This virus isn't in the air it is on surfaces we touch. Using a Kleenex makes more sense to open doors push elevator buttons & etc but each time throw the Kleenex in a bag that you carry along. Best thing just stay home if you can. Soap & water is the best safety measure but only friction kills the virus so wash your hands often for at least 20 seconds.
The virus becomes airborne when an infected person coughs or sneezes and does not cover their nose or mouth. That is how the virus ends up on all those surfaces that surround us in our daily lives. You can not trust anyone around you to safely cough or sneeze and protect those people and surfaces around them.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Not everyone has a water dispenser in their refrigerator. Not everyone has a water filter for their tap. I do have a water filter for the kitchen sink but it came with the house, it's old, and I don't know how to change it. So even if I had to drink tapwater, I don't know if it'd be palatable. Probably not, given Florida's absolutely craptastic tap water.
The water may not be palatable for you but it is SAFE. In times like these, bottled water is not a necessity.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:41 PM
Default corona and toilet paper

I laughed and laughed at a lot of these remarks. Remember the Olden days when you used sears catalogue pages to wipe your --- in the outhouse ? Keep a catalogue near by !!!!
Old 03-15-2020, 01:46 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Elaine's "No square to spare" statement has taken on new meaning.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-15-2020, 01:47 PM

remember the old days in the out house ? Sears Roebuck pages to wipe with !!!
Old 03-15-2020, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebemary View Post
remember the old days in the out house ? Sears Roebuck pages to wipe with !!!
We were a Montgomery Ward family

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-15-2020, 03:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
We were a Montgomery Ward family
The only publications safe in my house are my early 70s Whole Earth Catalogs
Old 03-15-2020, 03:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I am beginning to regret my behavior last weekend.

The Villages Florida
You have a great sense of humor.

Last edited by Barefoot; 03-17-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:02 PM
Veteran member

I have a suggestion for us who live in " The Villages " a...wait for it a theme song yes a theme song.

" I Will Survive " by Gloria Gaynor. hummmm to it … sing to it … In your Car, Colf Cart, Bike, Walking, Trotting, Running, or just a Lazy Casual Stroll and a greeting something like this.

I will " Survive " …… " We Will Survive ".... try it, nice tune...High Five without Touching of Course ….. or tap your toes or 3 or 4 times or more 5 perhaps. Toe tapping is kind of a new greeting but....it will catch on....I think.. better than elbow to elbow.

Now I did do a Trail Run this afternoon walking, trotting and golf cart, got a few weird glances... but more positive smiles , so I am optimistic.

Good Luck and more important Good Hummmmmming and or Singing..Hey ..Hey We will Survive.

Last edited by 600th Photo Sq; 03-15-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
toilet, paper, panic, moje_whot, sanitizer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.