Parades, public processions

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2020, 04:57 PM
Platinum member

I'm from New Orleans. Every day is a parade day.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:23 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
Sorry you received so many snarky comments. We miss the real parades. Would be having Oktoberfest by now, normally. Sure hope we can have the Christmas & St Pat’s parades on schedule. Miss them a lot more than entertainment on the squares. Yes, the political parades can be obnoxious but will be over soon, hopefully
Oh my goodness, someone else remembers the REAL parades, the wonderful parades. Way back to looking forward to the Christmas parade, the best of all ! The local high school bands, Santa, local churches with the floats they made. Remember when the folks who owned the llama ranch near The Villages brought them, adults and babies, all dolled up for Christmas ? Nearly all villagers had holiday lights on their golfcarts, no unusual to see "Santa" sitting beside a cart driver or "a reindeer" on the front of the cart. None of this seemed to bother those who were not Christians, or those who had no religion at all. Everyone seemed to enjoy it all, but then folks began to get insulted and angry.... and not long after, no more "Christmas" parade, why would could not call it "holiday" parade, and BAN all churches from participating, never figured that one out, but, things changed, too bad, was fun and friendly, and no one meant to offend anyone. Certain cultures were always encouraged to do similar celebrations..... wonder how long before that will all fade away too ? Tree lighting this year, music, hot chocolate, candles, carols, what do you thing.... all done for now ?
Old 10-19-2020, 01:28 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
Sorry you received so many snarky comments. We miss the real parades. Would be having Oktoberfest by now, normally. Sure hope we can have the Christmas & St Pat’s parades on schedule. Miss them a lot more than entertainment on the squares. Yes, the political parades can be obnoxious but will be over soon, hopefully
Oh my goodness, someone else remembers the REAL parades, the wonderful parades. Way back to looking forward to the Christmas parade, the best of all ! The local high school bands, Santa, local churches with the floats they made. Remember when the folks who owned the llama ranch near The Villages brought them, adults and babies, all dolled up for Christmas ? Nearly all villagers had holiday lights on their golfcarts, no unusual to see "Santa" sitting beside a cart driver or "a reindeer" on the front of the cart. None of this seemed to bother those who were not Christians, or those who had no religion at all. Everyone seemed to enjoy it all, but then folks began to get insulted and angry.... and not long after, no more "Christmas" parade, why would could not call it "holiday" parade, and BAN all churches from participating, never figured that one out, but, things changed, too bad, was fun and friendly, and no one meant to offend anyone. Certain cultures were always encouraged to do similar celebrations..... wonder how long before that will all fade away too ? Tree lighting this year, music, hot chocolate, candles, carols, what do you thing.... all done for now ?

Old 10-19-2020, 06:29 AM

On that particular evening we were with 2 other couples sitting in the outside dining area of The Chop House. We were celebrating 3 anniversaries. Like you, voice your opinion but this was very over the top with no regard for others. Found it obnoxious and selfish.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=John41;1849284]Then why di

I took my answer down. It was waaaay off the subject as is your post.

I just heard that the money spent on political ads in Florida equals ten bucks a person who lives here. Has ANYONE ever met anyone whose opinion has been changed by political ads????

T

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-19-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob85 View Post
Everyone already knows which candidate they have selected. Further political advertising is not only a waste of time but irritating
I agree. It really only serves to annoy the people who are voting the other way. In some cases that seems to be the object of the people who are participating in these events.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:01 AM
Gold member

Is anybody really undecided at this point?

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 10-19-2020, 11:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,221 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
Is anybody really undecided at this point?
There is always a certain percentage of voters that claim they are undecided, even up to election day. Personally I find that a bit hard to believe. If a person with a modicum of intelligence hasn't made their mind up at this point I don't know what they are looking for that will be the deciding factor. Maybe a few more brain cells?
Old 10-19-2020, 11:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,221 Times in 928 Posts

I believe that these parades for whatever candidate do have some impact on voters. What they are doing is advertising. If advertising didn't work all television programs would be pay-per view because businesses wouldn't pay for commercials that didn't result in sales of their product/service. No commercials, no television. Same with newspapers and magazines, no advertising, no money to print the publication. I have no desire to participate in these "parades" but if someone does, it doesn't bother me at all. If it was every day, all day, then I would have a big problem with it. A few minutes shouldn't bother anyone, except the people who always look for something to offend them.

All of us who live in TV have a finite number of days left to live. There are far more important and enjoyable things to concern ourselves with in the short time we have left than to get all worked up over something so trivial. I've never understood the glass is half empty mind set. It would be unbearable for me to always look on the dark side of everything.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:33 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

[QUOTE=graciegirl;1849509]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Then why di

I took my answer down. It was waaaay off the subject as is your post.

I just heard that the money spent on political ads in Florida equals ten bucks a person who lives here. Has ANYONE ever met anyone whose opinion has been changed by political ads????

T
Not once in my life. Can't wait for elections to be over then we can go back to everyday ads to get us to buy something we don't need.
Closed Thread

Tags
side, political, yelling, lots, beep

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.