Parades, public processions

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2020, 06:43 AM

I think it's great to have engaged and excited people banding together to participate in politics and expression during election season.

Without such activity it's likely will go the way of NY, Chicago and others.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Free speech like you said. Dont like it? Stay home
There are limits to free speech. I don't think that you'd like it if someone parked a vehicle with a loud PA system in front of your house and started broadcasting speeches, political or otherwise.

I'm not sure where the parade around the squares and loud announcements from vehicles. I do believe that they are a complete waste of time and do nothing to influence anyone's vote.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:55 AM

You don't need permits. We checked.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:04 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmike18 View Post
On Saturday, I was i at Sumter landing, first a parade passed by,, hong , hong, beep , beep, lots of yelling , cheering, than a few moments later a trailer, with lots of political signs and Hugh loud speakers passed around the square and down the side streets, with one person yelling hurray for our our side.
This is not meant to be political, and please do not make it into one side or the other,, but do we really need all this?? ,
I know it is a free speech issue, but don’t we also have the right to enjoy the quiet of a nice morning in the villages??
Really......Smh
In case you missed it there is an election going on
Old 10-18-2020, 07:51 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmike18 View Post
On Saturday, I was i at Sumter landing, first a parade passed by,, hong , hong, beep , beep, lots of yelling , cheering, than a few moments later a trailer, with lots of political signs and Hugh loud speakers passed around the square and down the side streets, with one person yelling hurray for our our side.
This is not meant to be political, and please do not make it into one side or the other,, but do we really need all this?? ,
I know it is a free speech issue, but don’t we also have the right to enjoy the quiet of a nice morning in the villages??
Not until after the election. This is the most important election of our lifetime and I’m glad people are hyped up about it. I can’t watch television in peace either without seeing political ads so it is what it is!
Old 10-18-2020, 08:23 AM
Veteran member

Sorry you received so many snarky comments. We miss the real parades. Would be having Oktoberfest by now, normally. Sure hope we can have the Christmas & St Pat’s parades on schedule. Miss them a lot more than entertainment on the squares. Yes, the political parades can be obnoxious but will be over soon, hopefully
Old 10-18-2020, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I don’t know which party was having the parade, but I think the people who were complaining on here were not of the party having the parade and if a short parade bothers your peace and quiet there are many assisted living places to move to
Old 10-18-2020, 09:14 AM
Default Quiet in the Villages???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Yep, you can have a nice quiet morning on your patio at home. The Villages has always had celebrations at the squares, and lots and lots of parades. I rarely see them because I very seldom frequent the square. But, I do have a nice quiet and peaceful neighborhood.
Not really so with all the commercial machine lawn boys making the most noise sometimes constantly from 7am to 2pm. Yep I timed it one day.

There really should be a local noise decibel ordinance enforced by law enforcement similar to other same community areas that wanted to prevent the encroachment of loud commercial machines.

This would have prevented big business lawn cutters who are here to quickly make money at our quiet neighborhood experience.

Was much quieter 20 years ago before the commercial lawn cutters came in.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadoiron View Post
Not really so with all the commercial machine lawn boys making the most noise sometimes constantly from 7am to 2pm. Yep I timed it one day.

There really should be a local noise decibel ordinance enforced by law enforcement similar to other same community areas that wanted to prevent the encroachment of loud commercial machines.

This would have prevented big business lawn cutters who are here to quickly make money at our quiet neighborhood experience.

WHAT? Big business lawn cutters. Hmmm are sooooooooooooooooo much cheaper than those in Ohio. And small business lawn cutters too. Thank you ladies and gentlemen for cutting our lawn and you aren't bothering me. I'm the one with the wallwords in the lanai........."If you want to be successful, get up early and work hard." Never have cottoned to lie-abed's.

And on the subject of crowds and parades. People only complain about crowds and parades if they don't line up with their opinions. Some like the Women's March and the "peaceful demonstrations" and some like the political rallies. Actually all of them are groups of people who are passing around enjoyment of common views and viruses.

I don't care what other's do. Thank heavens we have the luxury of choosing to go or to stay. To complain or not. To be satisfied with life with the road bumps or not.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:14 AM

Amen
Old 10-18-2020, 10:29 AM
Veteran member

Guess you don't know about the election coming up!
Old 10-18-2020, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default I was here 20 years ago , so

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadoiron View Post

were the commercial mowers
Old 10-18-2020, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I love a parade...always have. I wish I was old enough to have watched the circus parade into town from the train station to the parade grounds when I was a kid

Most fun parade that we've seen in years was a Christmas holiday seasonal parade in Key West...what a hoot !!!
Old 10-18-2020, 10:47 AM

I Love a Parade !
Old 10-18-2020, 10:49 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranford61 View Post
Does that give everyone the right to harass and annoy others?
An example of why there won’t be music in the squares if apartments are built there.
Closed Thread

Tags
side, political, yelling, lots, beep

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.