Paranoia or reality?

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2020, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Paranoia or reality?

We had a club meeting 11/23 (approximately 20 people).
We have just been advised one of the members in attendance was exposed (for over 30 minutes) to a positive tested co-worker, the morning of our meeting day.

So...options or correct thing to do?

Self quarantine for 14 days?

Try to recall where we were relative to that person to determine our specific exposure (or not)?

Several members of the same club golf together once per week...do we cancel golf this weekend?

We could start to factor in....

was the initial exposure indoors/outdoors?

was our club meeting indoors or outdoors?

even though golf is relatively safe is it a risk to play with those known to have been in a possible exposure venue?

And so on.

We are in our mid eighties and have been very diligent in what we do or do not do during the pandemic. We chose to go to the club meeting as the group was relatively small and it was held out side. We have chosen to play golf as it is an outdoor activity with minimal risks (INHO).

Now the reality of who we have been in contact with since the meeting.....and what do we do from today onward.

To be consistent with our conservative approach to what we do and do not do, we will self quarantine and we will cancel golf this weekend. We will also call those we know we have been in contact with since our club meeting.

Pandemic paranoia? Reality?
Old 11-27-2020, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We have just been advised one of the members in attendance was exposed (for over 30 minutes) to a positive tested co-worker, the morning of our meeting day.

Try to recall where we were relative to that person to determine our specific exposure (or not)?

Several members of the same club golf together once per week...do we cancel golf this weekend?

even though golf is relatively safe is it a risk to play with those known to have been in a possible exposure venue?

And so on.

We are in our mid eighties and have been very diligent in what we do or do not do during the pandemic. We chose to go to the club meeting as the group was relatively small and it was held out side. We have chosen to play golf as it is an outdoor activity with minimal risks (INHO).

Now the reality of who we have been in contact with since the meeting.....and what do we do from today onward.

To be consistent with our conservative approach to what we do and do not do, we will self quarantine and we will cancel golf this weekend. We will also call those we know we have been in contact with since our club meeting.

My husband had sort of a similar thing happen a couple of months ago when someone in their golf group had their visiting son play with the group and on arriving home two days after golf the son tested positive for Covid. The group rides alone in carts and does not stop for lunch and it turned out alright with just the dad quarantining himself and one other. No one caught it, and it was serious because the men are all in the high risk age group.

I consider it a valid question and not paranoia at all. I think we still do not have clear guidelines about transmission because even the medical community is not yet sure of exactly how the virus is spread.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:32 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

And so on.

get tested and cancel activities for two weeks at least
Old 11-27-2020, 10:35 AM

this is our new Reality, if you care about others
Old 11-27-2020, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
get tested and cancel activities for two weeks at least
I don't disagree, but many of us wonder how long to wait to get tested to see if the virus incubated in us. In other words, WHEN after exposure is a person contagious to others IF they do catch it.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,356 Times in 2,392 Posts

I have read and respected your posts over the years.
You have chosen what you feel is right for you and yours.
Don't see how I can criticize or advise you on your personal decision.
Stay safe....
Old 11-27-2020, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

i'm sorry to hear you were exposed, but thankful you haven't been ill since. you are very consistent in your posts, we truly believe you take as many precautions as possible to keep yourselves safe. idk what else you should do besides alert your dr asap & see what he/she thinks. it breaks my heart knowing such nice people as yourselves need to isolate in fear, but you must stay safe. many prayers for your continued health, & keep us posted,...oxo
Old 11-27-2020, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

I'm sorry to hear that you have this worry. If it makes you feel any better, schools are finding out via contact tracing that schools are not a significant source of infection, meaning that simply sitting next to another student in class is not what is driving the viral spread. That is largely because students are temp checked upon their arrival at school and sent home if they are symptomatic.

Hope this helps to ease your mind a bit. Take care.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

The correct answer is to seek the advise of your medical professional.

Personally, I would be more conscious of my mask wearing and distancing while I wait four days before getting a test. I would absolutely expect it to be negative but I would get tested just in case.

- Just being in proximity to the coworker with Covid does not mean the member contracted it
- It takes more than a minute for the member who had the contact to become contagious
- Being in proximity to someone who was in proximity to someone who had the virus does not mean you will become infected
- It takes a few days (3, 4, ?) for the virus to build to a high enough level to be detected by the test.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't disagree, but many of us wonder how long to wait to get tested to see if the virus incubated in us. In other words, WHEN after exposure is a person contagious to others IF they do catch it.

I’ve been exposed to COVID-19; how soon will I be contagious? | MIT Medical

While the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other public-health authorities put the incubation period for the virus at 2–14 days, most people who become ill develop symptoms between five and six days after exposure. This is about the same amount of time needed, on average, for a PCR diagnostic test to be more likely than not to return a true-positive result.

On the other hand, research suggests that people who are infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, are at their most contagious in the 24 to 48 hours before they experience symptoms. But you would still expect there to be a few days between the time a person is exposed and infected and the time they begin actively shedding virus. If we figure that infected people who become sick typically start experiencing symptoms a bit more than five days after exposure, we can calculate that infectiousness would, on average, begin rising sharply about three days post exposure. In other words, it’s safe to say that it would be exceedingly rare for anyone to transmit the virus earlier than two days post exposure; however, at some point after that, the risk would begin to rise significantly.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:31 AM
Veteran member

The best thing to do is to check with you primary care doctor.

Here is what the CDC says to do:

COVID-19: When to Quarantine | CDC

Some bits of what the CDC says

"Quarantine is used to keep someone who might have been exposed to COVID-19 away from others. "

you should quarantine if "You were within 6 feet of someone who has COVID-19 for a total of 15 minutes or more"

There are more details but since the person tested positive I think you have to assume that they have been exposed to someone who might COVID and so might have COVID. So it you were near that person you probably should quarantine for 14 days.

But read what the CDC has to say for yourself.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:53 AM
Veteran member

The CDC contradicts itself all the time. How can they say that children (K-12) are safer in school and sitting together in closed classrooms where they go home and hang around with their family members, yet, at the same time say that you should quarantine if you were within 6 feet of someone for 15 minutes or more (this could happen in a grocery store checkout line and you would never know about it). Unless we shut down EVERYTHING, including hospitals/doctors/dentists for 4 weeks or more, this virus is not going away.

There is not convincing evidence that I am aware of of asymptomatic spread which is probably why medical staff that tests positive but remains asymptomatic are actually required to come into work in many hospitals throughout the country.

Use caution and common sense.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

It is now 4 days later, if you caught it you’d probably start having symptoms today or tomorrow. If it was me I would go get tested twice a couple of days apart. One test is not as reliable as two. And I would distance and wear a mask with regards to my spouse. These are things I did when I flew back to my husband in March. The “new” guidelines suggest 10 days of quarantine is enough as the probability of being positive drops a lot after that. So it would be cancelling only one weekend of golf.

Best wishes to you and in my opinion, if your meeting was outside it is highly unlikely you caught the virus. Remember all those BLM protesters so close to each other (outside) with no masks, we thought there was going to be great spread and there was very little?
Old 11-27-2020, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I don't know the details of your encounter other than it was a meeting of 20. I'm kind of puzzled as to why the meeting was so important during this time, or whether no one took the virus seriously and now suddenly have seen the light. 20 people meeting together? Personally, I have no problem with it since we have seen incidents of many more demonstrating or going to rallies. But, I wonder if or why someone would not wear their mask IF they were inside with so many. And IF that person did wear a mask, then why be so concerned. If you go shopping, you do not know if anyone in the store that you may pass is infected. Of course, like someone else mentioned the CDC says you can't or are unlikely to catch the infection by a minute contact or in passing someone that is infected.
I still don't see why you are concerned if you went to the meeting of 20 folks where you had no idea of the possibility of whether or not one or more might be carrying the virus. I doubt I pass that many folks when shopping in Publix.
I hope that I do not sound like I am condemning your action, because I am not. I am just interested in WHY someone that is in many of these conversations, does not have an idea of how they should handle the situation. Still not condemning.
Since I am out and about at least once or twice per week and around strangers that may or may not be infected, I am not about to get tested on a weekly basis. But, that is just me. Remember, a test is only good for the instant that you are tested; not after the test is taken. For all we know, you could contract the infection at CVS right after you the test is taken.....or where ever you get tested. Apology for sounding gloom and doom. But, for your own peace of mind it won't hurt you (much) to get tested. I don't know if being tested will put mind at ease, but for some it might have the placebo effect.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Personally, I wouldn't listen to anyone on here. I would be asking my doctor for advice on how to proceed IF I was concerned.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
The CDC contradicts itself all the time. How can they say that children (K-12) are safer in school and sitting together in closed classrooms where they go home and hang around with their family members, yet, at the same time say that you should quarantine if you were within 6 feet of someone for 15 minutes or more (this could happen in a grocery store checkout line and you would never know about it). Unless we shut down EVERYTHING, including hospitals/doctors/dentists for 4 weeks or more, this virus is not going away.

There is not convincing evidence that I am aware of of asymptomatic spread which is probably why medical staff that tests positive but remains asymptomatic are actually required to come into work in many hospitals throughout the country.

Use caution and common sense.
What store do you go to? I want to avoid any store where I might be in the line for 15 minutes or more.

I believe the "evidence" of asymptomatic spread is the large number of cases with know known symptomatic contact. They had to contract it from somewhere and if it wasn't from a symptomatic contact then.....
Closed Thread

Tags
meeting, club, golf, exposure, reality

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.