Paranoia or reality?

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2020, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
What store do you go to? I want to avoid any store where I might be in the line for 15 minutes or more.

I believe the "evidence" of asymptomatic spread is the large number of cases with know known symptomatic contact. They had to contract it from somewhere and if it wasn't from a symptomatic contact then.....
You can wind up standing in line for the deli or seafood counter, or getting a sub made or picking up your prescription at the pharmacy. Lines at the check out usually go pretty quickly but there are times when there is a delay that is beyond the cashier's control (folks with 20+ coupons to use who also argue about a coupon that isn't scanning....).

If you go into a store there is no guarantee that you will not be standing within 6 feet of someone for 15 minutes or more. Most of the people who get out on a fairly regular basis know this is true.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:55 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't disagree, but many of us wonder how long to wait to get tested to see if the virus incubated in us. In other words, WHEN after exposure is a person contagious to others IF they do catch it.
When our next door neighbor got sick: dry cough, aches, vomiting she went to the doctor and was told she had Covid 19. She called us and those she had been in contact with immediately. We all waited 3 to 5 days to get tested to avoid false negatives. Some health officials say wait 5 to 7 days. There is no firm number of days to wait but symptoms should appear in 2 to 14 days.

Just some advice to those who think this is a hoax and masks are not needed, if you could see how sick this very healthy person (did not wear mask often) got, had to have a relative watch her 24/7 and call 911 to get her hospitalized and on IV and oxygen you might change your mind. She is now on the mend fortunately.

Last edited by John41; 11-27-2020 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Not trying to dispute anyone regarding the seriousness of the virus, but....... My daughter's close friend is a heart transplant recipient. She was infected with the virus but even though she had the symptoms, such as coughing, fever and hard breathing, she survived it with about as much effort as a winter cold. Two of my neighbors in their 80's caught it last Feb and one was hospitalized. Both survived. For every person that has died from the virus, I can give you examples of those that have survived it. Either you can be the glass half empty person or you can be the glass half full.....your choice. And yes, I have had two relatives that have died, supposedly COVID related. Both were in the hospital for other than COVID related treatment. One for a heart operation and the other for a kidney operation. One was in his mid 90's and the other near 70. They died in the hospital and were tested positive for COVID. You can be the judge of whether or not they died BECAUSE OF the virus or with it.

I encourage everyone to do what they deem is necessary to keep themselves safe. I would not attempt to suggest anyone be reckless. I plan to live my life as normal as I can under the circumstances. If I catch the COVID or even the Budweiser Flu, I will take responsibility for my own actions. If you think I am being dangerous to others, then fair warning--- stay away from me. Same thing your momma told you as a child, "stay away from that hot stove or you will get burned."
If you come onto a Villages forum asking for recommendations instead of talking to your doctor, I can only tell you that I am not a doctor but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. If you are on here searching for a roofer or landscaping company, then you have come to the right place.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
You can wind up standing in line for the deli or seafood counter, or getting a sub made or picking up your prescription at the pharmacy. Lines at the check out usually go pretty quickly but there are times when there is a delay that is beyond the cashier's control (folks with 20+ coupons to use who also argue about a coupon that isn't scanning....).

If you go into a store there is no guarantee that you will not be standing within 6 feet of someone for 15 minutes or more. Most of the people who get out on a fairly regular basis know this is true.
Actually, I *can* guarantee that I won't be standing in line within 6 feet of someone for 15 minutes or more. I have three methods that anyone can use:

1. Avoid lines. Continue going to the stores that I already frequent when I have never, even with Thanksgiving, been in any line for 15 minutes
2. Maintain a 6 foot separation. Politely ask anyone standing within 6 feet of me to give me some space
3. Remain fewer than 15 minutes. Leave any line I am in that is taking 15 minutes - I don't need a sub or even a cart of groceries that badly
Old 11-27-2020, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

When I go into a store or if hubby does, I set the timer to 15 minutes with a 4 minute warning. When it hits 15 minutes no matter what is going on, I leave.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Actually, I *can* guarantee that I won't be standing in line within 6 feet of someone for 15 minutes or more. I have three methods that anyone can use:

1. Avoid lines. Continue going to the stores that I already frequent when I have never, even with Thanksgiving, been in any line for 15 minutes
2. Maintain a 6 foot separation. Politely ask anyone standing within 6 feet of me to give me some space
3. Remain fewer than 15 minutes. Leave any line I am in that is taking 15 minutes - I don't need a sub or even a cart of groceries that badly
O.k. I'll rephrase that. There is no guarantee that you can go inside of a store, get what you went there to get and never be close to another person for 15 minutes. Of course, grocery pick up, pharmacy drive thru or simply staying at home and ordering in is always an option. Removing yourself from a situation is always an option and maybe the best option depending upon the circumstances.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:

Slightly off my topic but in line with the above suggestions:

I always get in front of my cart. this allows me to control how close I choose not to get to the person in front of me and it allows me to control how close the person behind can get.
With a smile of course!

There are just too many who, for some reason, have to be 6 inches on one's back.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Slightly off my topic but in line with the above suggestions:

I always get in front of my cart. this allows me to control how close I choose not to get to the person in front of me and it allows me to control how close the person behind can get.
With a smile of course!

There are just too many who, for some reason, have to be 6 inches on one's back.
That is funny! I hope you are feeling good today, good to hear from you.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
The CDC contradicts itself all the time. How can they say that children (K-12) are safer in school and sitting together in closed classrooms where they go home and hang around with their family members, yet, at the same time say that you should quarantine if you were within 6 feet of someone for 15 minutes or more (this could happen in a grocery store checkout line and you would never know about it). Unless we shut down EVERYTHING, including hospitals/doctors/dentists for 4 weeks or more, this virus is not going away.

There is not convincing evidence that I am aware of of asymptomatic spread which is probably why medical staff that tests positive but remains asymptomatic are actually required to come into work in many hospitals throughout the country.

Use caution and common sense.
This one scenario should never ever happen if you are diligent with social distancing. All grocery stores have the markers on the floor to keep people properly socially distanced. Personal experience....if anyone gets closer to me, such as from behind me on line not adhering to the guidelines, I will request that the person kindly step back and give me space. I have absolutely no problem keeping a safe distance from any individual.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
The CDC contradicts itself all the time. How can they say that children (K-12) are safer in school and sitting together in closed classrooms where they go home and hang around with their family members, yet, at the same time say that you should quarantine if you were within 6 feet of someone for 15 minutes or more (this could happen in a grocery store checkout line and you would never know about it). Unless we shut down EVERYTHING, including hospitals/doctors/dentists for 4 weeks or more, this virus is not going away.

There is not convincing evidence that I am aware of of asymptomatic spread which is probably why medical staff that tests positive but remains asymptomatic are actually required to come into work in many hospitals throughout the country.

Doesn't this go against what the CDC advises? Doesn't this also go against common sense? Are you sure this is actually happening here in our country?
Old 11-27-2020, 04:18 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Not trying to dispute anyone regarding the seriousness of the virus, but....... My daughter's close friend is a heart transplant recipient. She was infected with the virus but even though she had the symptoms, such as coughing, fever and hard breathing, she survived it with about as much effort as a winter cold. Two of my neighbors in their 80's caught it last Feb and one was hospitalized. Both survived. For every person that has died from the virus, I can give you examples of those that have survived it. Either you can be the glass half empty person or you can be the glass half full.....your choice. And yes, I have had two relatives that have died, supposedly COVIDy related. Both were in the hospital for other than COVID related treatment. One for a heart operation and the other for a kidney operation. One was in his mid 90's and the other near 70. They died in the hospital and were tested positive for COVID. You can be the judge of whether or not they died BECAUSE OF the virus or with it.

I encourage everyone to do what they deem is necessary to keep themselves safe. I would not attempt to suggest anyone be reckless. I plan to live my life as normal as I can under the circumstances. If I catch the COVID or even the Budweiser Flu, I will take responsibility for my own actions. If you think I am being dangerous to others, then fair warning--- stay away from me. Same thing your momma told you as a child, "stay away from that hot stove or you will get burned."
If you come onto a Villages forum asking for recommendations instead of talking to your doctor, I can only tell you that I am not a doctor but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. If you are on here searching for a roofer or landscaping company, then you have come to the right place.
Not disputing your experience but I do not remember ANY Winter cold flooding ICUs with patients. Or ventilators, N95 masks and field hospitals having to be erected or hospital beds in Madison Square Garden. Or 250,000 deaths. That is the macro picture of what this virus can do.

And if a person had a bad heart and Covid 19 pushed him over the edge, or if that person was healthy and Covid 19 whacked him, the proximate cause is still Covid 19.

And personal medical experience on a forum can be helpful as long as validated by medical professionals.

Not to be too snarky, but you seem to know a LOT of people with Covid 19
and I can’t help wonder if they had the same perception of the seriousness of this virus as you.

IMHO
Old 11-27-2020, 04:20 PM
Sage

Quote:

No matter what store I am in, no matter if I'm standing in line or walking in the aisles, I will not be within 6 feet of anyone. I make sure of that. It is not difficult to do.

Last edited by coffeebean; 11-27-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:56 PM
Platinum member

OP, I think you answered your own question at the end of your post. From the sound of your previous posts, it’s pretty clear you’ve been very careful. I hope the folks at the meeting wore masks. I guess I have to say I’m sorry you decided to go to the meeting. I doubt you became infected but it, clearly, wasn’t worth the stress in the aftermath. I wish you peace and good health.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:56 PM

Well the 15 minute exposure rule is now changing. Here is the recent information from the CDC. So I guess if you get out of the line in less than 15 minutes and don’t see the individual you were standing in line with at other places multiple times within 24 hours and it adds up to 15 minutes total you should be good.

“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has redefined what it considers “close contact” with someone who has COVID-19. The term refers to the amount of time one has to spend in the presence of a person with COVID-19 in order to contract the disease from them. And unfortunately, the concept of “close contact” has become even more restrictive.

Previously, the CDC described “close contact” as being within six feet of a COVID-19-infected individual for 15 minutes. In other words, if you were standing close to someone who had COVID-19 for at least 15 minutes there was a good chance you could become infected too.

However, now the CDC says that 15-minute time frame doesn’t need to be consecutive. Rather, now you are considered to have had “close contact” with an infected individual if you’ve spent a cumulative 15 minutes over a 24-hour period standing within six feet of them. In other words, if you spent five minutes near an infected individual at 8 a.m., four minutes with the same individual at noon, and six minutes with that individual at 7:30 p.m., you’re now considered to have had “close contact” and could have very well been infected yourself.”
Old 11-27-2020, 05:02 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:

North Dakota is requesting medical staff to work if asymptotic there is no pool left for traveling nurse recruiters because they are already deployed. A group of South Korean nurses are being deployed to the US along with Air Force and Army nurses due to shortages in some areas.
Closed Thread

Tags
meeting, club, golf, exposure, reality

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.