Paranoia or reality?

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2020, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't disagree, but many of us wonder how long to wait to get tested to see if the virus incubated in us. In other words, WHEN after exposure is a person contagious to others IF they do catch it.
And that is the problem. I had a similar situation. A woman I play pickleball with is in a dance group with a woman who tested positive a few days later. The woman herself tested negative. However, her doctor's office had told her since it had been a week, she didn't need to get tested. We are all wondering what exactly she told her doctor's office. Fortunately, the dance group's leader wouldn't let anyone return to practice unless they got a test. The group practices indoors with no masks. Ridiculous. We have now decided that we won't be playing pickleball with her as long as she remains in her two dance groups.

I called my doctor's office, and they advised waiting a few days and then get tested. I am scheduled to get tested tomorrow.

I'm not sure even the doctors know what is the right thing to do/how long to wait.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,048 Times in 2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
The correct answer is to seek the advise of your medical professional
There you go, good advise, but stay quarantined until you get the answers from a respected medical professional.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Slightly off my topic but in line with the above suggestions:

I always get in front of my cart. this allows me to control how close I choose not to get to the person in front of me and it allows me to control how close the person behind can get.
With a smile of course!

There are just too many who, for some reason, have to be 6 inches on one's back.
During normal times (no pandemic), I will never understand the rationale of some people who stand very close to others when waiting in line. During this current time of a pandemic, I find it extremely inconsiderate and probably boorish to cozy up to strangers when on line. That is disgraceful behavior. You know who you are!

Last edited by coffeebean; 11-27-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
There is not convincing evidence that I am aware of of asymptomatic spread which is probably why medical staff that tests positive but remains asymptomatic are actually required to come into work in many hospitals throughout the country.
It has nothing to do with them thinking asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic nurses/doctors/etc don't spread the virus but with overrun hospitals who need nurses:
North Dakota allows Covid-positive healthcare workers to stay on job as nurses warn it'''s '''irresponsible'''

Earlier on yes, they hospitals were breaking OSHA rules to force infected people back to work but again it wasn't related to anyone thinking that asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic people don't spread the virus, it was just due to ignorant management who was desperate for help. I'd like to see where anyone with bonifides is saying pre or asymptomatic people cannot spread the virus. In fact, recent reporting says people are most contagious before they even have symptoms. 1 in 5 COVID-19 Cases Are Asymptomatic but Can Spread the Disease
You can read the peer reviewed medical journal with the actual study discussed here in the previous link.

From Harvard Medical School:
How soon after I'm infected with the new coronavirus will I start to be contagious?

The time from exposure to symptom onset (known as the incubation period) is thought to be three to 14 days, though symptoms typically appear within four or five days after exposure.
We know that a person with COVID-19 may be contagious 48 to 72 hours before starting to experience symptoms. Emerging research suggests that people may actually be most likely to spread the virus to others during the 48 hours before they start to experience symptoms.
If you've been exposed to the coronavirus - Harvard Health.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
We had a club meeting 11/23 (approximately 20 people).
We have just been advised one of the members in attendance was exposed (for over 30 minutes) to a positive tested co-worker, the morning of our meeting day.

So...options or correct thing to do?

Self quarantine for 14 days?

Try to recall where we were relative to that person to determine our specific exposure (or not)?

Several members of the same club golf together once per week...do we cancel golf this weekend?

We could start to factor in....

was the initial exposure indoors/outdoors?

was our club meeting indoors or outdoors?

even though golf is relatively safe is it a risk to play with those known to have been in a possible exposure venue?

And so on.

We are in our mid eighties and have been very diligent in what we do or do not do during the pandemic. We chose to go to the club meeting as the group was relatively small and it was held out side. We have chosen to play golf as it is an outdoor activity with minimal risks (INHO).

Now the reality of who we have been in contact with since the meeting.....and what do we do from today onward.

To be consistent with our conservative approach to what we do and do not do, we will self quarantine and we will cancel golf this weekend. We will also call those we know we have been in contact with since our club meeting.

Pandemic paranoia? Reality?
If someone was just exposed the day of the meeting, obviously they are not an active carrier, there is no way they had symptoms and therefore should not be passing on an illness...I would not be alarmed. If they were exposed 4-5 days prior that would be different...
Old 11-28-2020, 06:03 AM

I5 is your life. .make excuses why not to quarantine, you and possibly your family and friends live or die with that decision. The weakest link in the chain is where the chain breaks.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
The CDC contradicts itself all the time. How can they say that children (K-12) are safer in school and sitting together in closed classrooms where they go home and hang around with their family members, yet, at the same time say that you should quarantine if you were within 6 feet of someone for 15 minutes or more (this could happen in a grocery store checkout line and you would never know about it). Unless we shut down EVERYTHING, including hospitals/doctors/dentists for 4 weeks or more, this virus is not going away.

There is not convincing evidence that I am aware of of asymptomatic spread which is probably why medical staff that tests positive but remains asymptomatic are actually required to come into work in many hospitals throughout the country.

Use caution and common sense.
And shutting down for 4 weeks doesn’t work either, there’s no way to shut everything down..people have to eat, visit Dr and do necessary things so that idea is absolutely ridiculous...sorry to break it to you, it doesn’t just go away and we have a country falling apart when everything is shut down! Stay home if your worried otherwise the rest of us need to work!!
Old 11-28-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall22204 View Post
I5 is your life. .make excuses why not to quarantine, you and possibly your family and friends live or die with that decision. The weakest link in the chain is where the chain breaks.
Really? Spear them of your drama...the person they had was NOT a positive Covid Case carrier, it’s impossible ...there’s no way that being near someone earlier in the day, that they became active carriers, within hours...
Old 11-28-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
When our next door neighbor got sick: dry cough, aches, vomiting she went to the doctor and was told she had Covid 19. She called us and those she had been in contact with immediately. We all waited 3 to 5 days to get tested to avoid false negatives. Some health officials say wait 5 to 7 days. There is no firm number of days to wait but symptoms should appear in 2 to 14 days.

Just some advice to those who think this is a hoax and masks are not needed, if you could see how sick this very healthy person (did not wear mask often) got, had to have a relative watch her 24/7 and call 911 to get her hospitalized and on IV and oxygen you might change your mind. She is now on the mend fortunately.
And there’s the difference, you were exposed to and ACTIVE Covid case, so you need to quarantine...someone who was near someone earlier in the day is not a positive Covid carrier...
Old 11-28-2020, 06:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
We have just been advised one of the members in attendance was exposed (for over 30 minutes) to a positive tested co-worker, the morning of our meeting day.

Try to recall where we were relative to that person to determine our specific exposure (or not)?

Several members of the same club golf together once per week...do we cancel golf this weekend?

even though golf is relatively safe is it a risk to play with those known to have been in a possible exposure venue?

And so on.

We are in our mid eighties and have been very diligent in what we do or do not do during the pandemic. We chose to go to the club meeting as the group was relatively small and it was held out side. We have chosen to play golf as it is an outdoor activity with minimal risks (INHO).

Now the reality of who we have been in contact with since the meeting.....and what do we do from today onward.

To be consistent with our conservative approach to what we do and do not do, we will self quarantine and we will cancel golf this weekend. We will also call those we know we have been in contact with since our club meeting.

If you have other issues , Quarantine otherwise move on .
Old 11-28-2020, 06:33 AM
Send a message via AIM to JudyLife

In my opinion you are not being paranoid, you are being sensible and following public health guidelines. I hope you are both ok.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:34 AM
Veteran member

Why not contact the Health Department for recommended guidelines?
Old 11-28-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree, but many of us wonder how long to wait to get tested to see if the virus incubated in us. In other words, WHEN after exposure is a person contagious to others IF they do catch it.
Our tennis group had same predicament. What made it more tricky was that the original positive person crossed multiple groups which turned our tennis community to be all possibly touched and many played golf and pickle ball as well. It could have caused a major
Event across The Villages especially since the first person was asymptomatic and only tested because she was going to visit daughter and grandchild out of town.
Discovered that exposure in first few days results in high false negatives but correct
Positives. Need to wait 7 days or more. Everyone who tested positive quarantined for 2 weeks and got more than one negative result before going back to activity.
Also since nothing got
Closed and many potentially positive, we did our own contact tracing and all contacted other captains with the information. I hope
And believe we may have avoided a major outbreak. 7 ended up positive with only 1 who actually had symptoms and hers was pretty
Awful.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:

And so on.

Your response to this exposure seems sensible and responsible, even though your risk of contracting the virus is lower as you were outside and, I assume, socially distanced. I hope you remain healthy.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
It’s 10 days. Quarantine and get tested now and then at the end of the quarantine. That is the safest way to go. Praying that everyone in the meeting is ok.
Closed Thread

Tags
meeting, club, golf, exposure, reality

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.