Paranoia or reality?

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2020, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybowron View Post
I have to wonder how you had a group of twenty people when ten people is supposed to be the top limit. Don't big groups add to the chances of getting Covid?
Group of 20 socially distance correct....not an issue at country clubs or rec centers....
Old 11-30-2020, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Maybe YOU should not associate with IRRESPONSIBLE people.
Totally agree with you. Some folks do not know the meaning of a "positive attitude." And some of the same misuse the term "Patriotic."
Like the saying goes "you can please some of the people...." or is it "you can please ALL the people some of the time..." or maybe it ought to be just "you can't please some people any of the time."
Old 11-30-2020, 01:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybowron View Post
I have to wonder how you had a group of twenty people when ten people is supposed to be the top limit. Don't big groups add to the chances of getting Covid?
How so? If you are in a group of 100 people and one or none has the virus, how is that different than if you are in a group of 10 people and one or none has the virus? Just because there are more people does not mean that you are going to become infected. There may be thousands like at the Polo field and no one gets the virus. Why? Maybe no one was infected at the rally.
People on here seem to assume that anyone around them will be carrying the virus. Maybe you will go a whole year and never come into contact with anyone infected. Or, maybe you will come into contact with someone that has the virus and not become infected.
I have never had the flu. Does that mean that I am immune to it or does it mean that I have never been exposed to the flu?
The infection rate we have been seeing on a day to day basis is distorted by the number of times the same people get repeat testing. We do not know how many of the tested positive several times and we do not know how many infected have never been tested. We do not know how many have died or are in the hospital purely because of the virus or whether they entered the hospital for some other reason or died for some other reason and were tested positive. There are a lot of missing facts that are not available and should be taken into consideration.
And before anyone suggests it, I am not shrugging off the seriousness of the virus. I simply operate under the assumption that many folks are allowing hysteria and panic run their lives. Nothing wrong with that if it keeps you safe; don't get me wrong. I just weigh my gut feeling, common sense and logic with how I wish to live my life. Against all odds I also ride a motorcycle, knowing that it is dangerous. But, I wear a helmet and don't need the gov to mandate it for me.

I kind of lost respect for some of the TV medical experts when they said that children are safer at school than at home. I agree that schools should be open, but that was a ludicrous statement. Everyone knows that kids go to school and bring home diseases that they get from other kids. To tell Americans that it is safer for them in school is suggesting that the average American is just plain stupid and easily open to suggestion.

And to those that make disparaging comments:
Just like suggesting that if someone does not do what you agree with is not being "patriotic." You can tell me that I am not being a good citizen and I might accept that as a valid opinion. But, never tell someone that they are not PATRIOTIC if they do not do what you believe is right. Especially, when you do not know how much that person may have sacrificed for his country in the past.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:09 AM

According to the CDC, the virus is no longer as lethal as it once was. 99 out of 100 people who contract COVID survive!!!!!
Old 12-01-2020, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaj523 View Post
According to the CDC, the virus is no longer as lethal as it once was. 99 out of 100 people who contract COVID survive!!!!!
The CDC has not said that and your numbers are wrong!
Old 12-01-2020, 11:09 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

IF they made that statement, it was likely for the general population, not older people.

I couldn’t find that on their site.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
In the Harvard Health Blog posted 10/15/2020, Read "The Tragedy of the Post-COVID Long Haulers" by Anthony Komaroff, MD, Editor in Chief of the Harvard Health Letter. Not a exactly a day at the beach to be a Long Hauler. But what the heck, COVID is just like the flu... wrong!
Old 12-01-2020, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,067 Times in 2,743 Posts

Reality!
Old 12-01-2020, 10:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We had a club meeting 11/23 (approximately 20 people).
We have just been advised one of the members in attendance was exposed (for over 30 minutes) to a positive tested co-worker, the morning of our meeting day.

So...options or correct thing to do?

Self quarantine for 14 days?

Try to recall where we were relative to that person to determine our specific exposure (or not)?

Several members of the same club golf together once per week...do we cancel golf this weekend?

We could start to factor in....

was the initial exposure indoors/outdoors?

was our club meeting indoors or outdoors?

even though golf is relatively safe is it a risk to play with those known to have been in a possible exposure venue?

And so on.

We are in our mid eighties and have been very diligent in what we do or do not do during the pandemic. We chose to go to the club meeting as the group was relatively small and it was held out side. We have chosen to play golf as it is an outdoor activity with minimal risks (INHO).

Now the reality of who we have been in contact with since the meeting.....and what do we do from today onward.

To be consistent with our conservative approach to what we do and do not do, we will self quarantine and we will cancel golf this weekend. We will also call those we know we have been in contact with since our club meeting.

Pandemic paranoia? Reality?
An outdoor meeting = relatively low risk (compared to an indoor meeting, not compared to no meeting at all)

Golf = relatively low risk (compared to bridge, not compared to staying home).

Did you social distance during the meeting? If so, I honestly wouldn't be all that concerned. Maybe be a little more conservative than usual - don't necessarily isolate yourselves, but don't go out to dinner - get curb-side take-out if you want restaurant food. When you go grocery shopping, go with a list, know where the items are, social distance AND wear a mask even if the store doesn't require it, and get what you need and leave without lingering.

If you want to see a neighbor, ask to see them in the driveway. You can set out chairs there, at a social distance, and enjoy the brisk cool Florida winter air.

Things like that. If you show ANY symptoms of even so much as a winter cold, call everything off and isolate for 2 weeks.

That's what I would do.

I don't think you're being paranoid. I do think you're being more cautious than is necessary given the limited amount of information you provided in your first post.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
The CDC did NOT say the virus was less lethal. The virus has not changed and it is still the most dangerous to older people. 80% of those who died are over 70.

People can have it without symptoms.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

On Local Television news last night;

Local ICU nurse traveled to Ohio to be with her father dying of Covid. Staff gently refused her to be with him. They said the rules said she could not come in. They held his hand. His last words were that he was afraid of dying. He was 69.

She said that she will hold the hands of those dying always thinking of her dad.

https://images.foxtv.com/static.wogx....jpg?ve=1&tl=1
Old 12-02-2020, 08:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Using numbers from the Florida state department of health:
1 in 20 of those 65-74 that tested positive for COVID died.
1 in 9 of those 75-84 that tested positive for COVID died.
1 in 4 of those over 85 that caught COVID died.

Many more young people get the virus, and very few of them die. If you didn’t count anyone over 65 less than 1 out of 200 of people who get COVID die. If you take out those 55 and over that drops to 1 out of 750.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:41 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default For whom the stats toll. . .

There are many who cling to the death statistics to reinforce cavalier attitudes. (That in itself is creepy — guess they do not know anyone personally who has been affected — so, hey, that’s all that matters, right?)

There is another stat though that reveals a clearer picture of reality.

I am back in Ohio now — where I will stay for a while. Ohio’s governor (R) keeps us informed.

At Monday’s news conference, he said that on November 1, there were 1700 Covid hospitalizations in Ohio. But as of November 30, there are over 5000 hospitalizations due to Covid. Do the math for that percentage increase.

Hospitalizations for Covid grow arms and legs when beds are filled and staff exhausted. Others put off routine tests that could be lifesaving.

I now know one person recovering at home, and 3 hospitalizations, and one death.

The invisibility of this enemy adds to the creepiness of this mess.

Anyway, as far as stats go, I am so tired of hearing that those death stats are nothing. If that is what floats your boat -- well, whatever — but please explain to me the very real trend of that enormous increase in Ohio’s hospitalizations in just the past 30 days.

It’s here. It’s real. And we should have been cooperating as Americans to do what we could — whether we like it or believe in it or not. Wearing a mask and distancing are not that hard to do. Not trying is disgusting, speaks volumes.

The virus should eventually go away. But what will take a lot longer to go away will be how we think of people we know who put others at risk.

Never has there been a time that so clearly revealed so much about who people really are.

Last edited by Boomer; 12-02-2020 at 11:54 AM. Reason: An egregious typo (gasp)
Old 12-02-2020, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
There are many who cling to the death statistics to reinforce cavalier attitudes. (That in itself is creepy — guess they do not know anyone personally who has been affected — so, hey, that’s all that matters, right?)
There are others who look at the death statistics to get a sense of perspective. In the younger population this virus kills at a lower rate than the seasonal flu while in the older population it is much more deadly. On average it is about 40 times more deadly than the flu but it is critical to know which group you are in.

Even being as deadly as it is, this virus is not going to end civilization as we know it. The anti-death statistics (over 12M test positive and survive) give reason for hope. This is not a time to become cavalier but it seems there ought to be a way to manage the virus without halting travel and locking people in their homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
There is another stat though that reveals a clearer picture of reality.

I am back in Ohio now — where I will stay for a while. Ohio’s governor (R) keeps us informed.

At Monday’s news conference, he said that on November 1, there were 1700 Covid hospitalizations in Ohio. But as of November 30, there are over 5000 hospitalizations due to Covid. Do the math for that percentage increase.

Hospitalizations for Covid grow arms and legs when beds are filled and staff exhausted. Others put off routine tests that could be lifesaving.

I now know one person recovering at home, and 3 hospitalizations, and one death.

The invisibility of this enemy adds to the creepiness of this mess.

Anyway, as far as stats go, I am so tired of hearing that those death stats are nothing. If that is what floats your boat -- well, whatever — but please explain to me the very real trend of that enormous increase in Ohio’s hospitalizations in just the past 30 days.

It’s here. It’s real. And we should have been cooperating as Americans to do what we could — whether we like it or believe in it or not. Wearing a mask and distancing are not that hard to do. Not trying is disgusting, speaks volumes.

The virus should eventually go away. But what will take a lot longer to go away will be how we think of people we know who put others at risk.

Never has there been a time that so clearly revealed so much about who people really are.
I have read so much in these multiple threads about people being irresponsible. Perhaps I have a different filter than others but I don't see it that much. According to one statistic I saw, only 30% of the population does not wear a mask. Is that number high enough to explain the 13M positive cases so far? Are there really more than that who aren't wearing masks? Is it possible that the virus will spread regardless of masks and all the mask shaming that is going on is misguided? I don't know the answers, I just don't believe the there are only a dozen people in the entire US who are wearing masks.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Tags
meeting, club, golf, exposure, reality

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.