Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	72639  
Old 11-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Sage

Did it in NYC when I worked for the NYFD
Old 11-17-2017, 04:07 PM
Veteran member
Default A hydrant story ...

A couple of years ago we were getting rid of a desk--fairly small but still too big for the regular trash pickup. We called Sanitation and were told to put the desk at the end of our driveway and that they would pick it up. However, there is a hydrant on our property a couple of feet from the driveway.

We did as told, and a short while later Community Watch arrived in the form of a kid who didn't look old enough for working paper who stood in the door stammering. He finally managed to spit out that the desk was too close to the hydrant. I was tempted to respond with 'Northeast humor,' that is, "Oh, we're expanding our business and setting up an outdoor office," but looking at--and listening to--the kid, I decided not to.

So I explained to him that we had followed instructions, and what would he like us to do. He had no idea, then asked about moving the desk. "Sure," I said, "you take one end and I'll take the other, and we'll move it to wherever you feel comfortable." He picked up one end and I the other, and then he began looking around, hesitating for a few moments and finally moving it about one foot further onto the driveway and away from the hydrant.

"Are you sure you're okay about where it is now?" Lots of nodding--and he left. I then called Public Safety, and amazingly the head answered. I told him what had just happened and asked how it should be handled legally. He laughed and explained that there are laws on the books for distance to be parked from a hydrant, but because of how arbitrary the placement of hydrants is, there is no way they can enforce such laws. Perhaps it would be different in a commercial area, but in countless other places, notably residential areas, this is the way it is. Hmmm....
Old 11-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post

He laughed and explained that there are laws on the books for distance to be parked from a hydrant, but because of how arbitrary the placement of hydrants is, there is no way they can enforce such laws. Perhaps it would be different in a commercial area, but in countless other places, notably residential areas, this is the way it is. Hmmm....
That makes no sense at all. The law in FL is you must park at least 15 feet from a hydrant and it doesn't matter how arbitrary the placement of hydrants is.

Now if we are talking about how close you can place a piece of furniture to a hydrant, I know Sumter County has a rule where you aren't allowed to obstruct the hydrant with anything and had to leave a 3 foot clear radius around the hydrant. I don't know about other areas of TV.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:01 PM
Veteran member

don't worry the police will now give out tickets......so they say
Old 11-17-2017, 08:12 PM
Gold member
Default And some people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
You called community watch. That car could easily be the resident or a guest.

Some people have a lot of time on their hands.
don't like to be told what they do is wrong...I opt for those doing the right thing as opposed to those accusing folks of having to much time on their hands...
Old 11-17-2017, 08:42 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberschaf View Post
the firemen will just do this:
lmao.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

the police will now give out tickets......so they say[/QUOTE]

Only if they throw out cigarette butts
Old 11-18-2017, 10:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
That makes no sense at all. The law in FL is you must park at least 15 feet from a hydrant and it doesn't matter how arbitrary the placement of hydrants is.

Now if we are talking about how close you can place a piece of furniture to a hydrant, I know Sumter County has a rule where you aren't allowed to obstruct the hydrant with anything and had to leave a 3 foot clear radius around the hydrant. I don't know about other areas of TV.
Agreed it doesn't make sense at all—and this was confirmed by the Director of Public Safety for TV. When I park my car in my own driveway (as I do every day), I am not only not fifteen feet from the hydrant, I am closer than three feet! THIS is what the Director explained to me in terms of the law not making sense in relation to how the hydrants are placed. According to him, I cannot be ticketed for parking in my own driveway, even though I am virtually on top of the hydrant! (Duh....) The desk was actually further from the hydrant than the car is when it's parked in the driveway!

Last edited by Quixote; 11-18-2017 at 10:35 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-19-2017, 03:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Personally, I'd walk a quarter of a mile before I'd park anywhere near a hydrant.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:42 PM
Veteran member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Personally, I'd walk a quarter of a mile before I'd park anywhere near a hydrant.
me too , you know what dogs use them for
Old 11-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Usually Fire Hydrants has yellow/red panted area on the curb each side of it. The fire truck going to be in the street. Most fire hydrants have three sided hook up. That IMO why the need the 15 feet street access. It the hydrant right beside you drive way then you couldn't part in front of the hydrant. I don't think it that difficult to figure out. Don't park in front of the hydrant or in the yellow/red tow zone. It I feel don't have tow zone still don't park in front of it.
Closed Thread

Tags
hydrant, front, dog, people, watch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.