Parking in the streets

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2015, 04:32 PM
Default Parking in the streets

What is the rule about parking vehicles in the streets?
Old 02-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Sage

There are no street signs in our area, I have left the car on the street a few times overnight, never a ticket. I ASS-U-ME its legal. Looking forward to what the experts say.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

Here are the experts:

Sumter County Sheriff
Sheriff's Department
Address: 8035 East County Road 466, Lady Lake, FL 32162

Phone352) 569-1600
Old 02-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Gold member

It is legal but definitely not safe!
Old 02-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
It is legal but definitely not safe!
Is it unsafe because it might get hit or something else.
I always thought it was not legal overnight. Since I never had the need to leave a car out on the street I never bothered to ask the police.
Anybody know how far you can be from a fire hydrant?
Old 02-14-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooser View Post

check your deed restrictions. Village Community Development Districts
Old 02-14-2015, 10:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooser View Post
FROM A PREVIOUS THREAD:

Important news for villagers-Street Parking

I was recently given a citation by the Sheriffs dept. and will be paying $116 fine.

I was parked in front of my friends house because we were all playing cards in the villages. The neighbor across the street pulled out of his driveway and smashed into my driver's side door. My insurance said to call the police and have the neighbor call their insurance company. The police said the neighbor got a citation for more money that will affect his insurance, but that I was at fault too for parking on the roadway!!! The section is 316.1945.1.a.6 I called the clerk of courts and she told me that if I lost the case, I could be charged $500 plus court costs plus they can sanction my license.

So, do not park in the road in The Villages. You may get a citation if anything happens. I called two lawyers and one said to fight it, and one said they wouldn't. I am not going to fight it. But it is wrong.
ALSO:

From a May 2012 article by Diane Tucker, the VCDD's Administrative Operations Manager:

"I also am asked if vehicles are allowed to be parked on the streets. The streets are for public access. If a vehicle is parked on a street and impedes the flow of traffic, is a safety concern or has blocked your driveway or vehicles cannot get around it, call your local law enforcement and they will ask that the vehicle be moved if there is a safety concern.

Again, please be respectful of residents and visitors who travel our neighborhood streets. Park your vehicle in your garage or driveway and
concern of safety will not be an issue. If you have a recreational vehicle (RV), you may park the vehicle in your driveway for a period of 72 hours
for the purpose of preparing the vehicle for travel or upon return."

Bill

FROM ANOTHER THREAD:

Sumter County Sheriff's office ( 352 793-0222 )

Per Brad Arnold, Sumter County Supervisor ( 352 689-4400)

Ordnance, Chapter 17, section 0-29, division 1

No parking in or on any county road or street or right of way in the unincorporated area of Sumter county.

So after reading this, and my neighbor confirmed with the supervisor, anyone parking on a county street in The Villages is subject to a citation.

The reason he made this inquiry of Sumter county is because the Villages doesn't have Jurisdiction any more. We have a neighbor that parks a ratty white pickup truck in front of his house just to annoy people. ( not commercial plates) Also the width of the streets in the neighborhood aren't designed for street parking.

Most people are reasonable and have no problem with with campers and motor homes loading and unloading but to have vehicles parked regularly in the streets would be dangerous and unsightly. One of the main attractions for us was a community with deed restrictions so we don't end up living in a town like we left.

So if we have a problem with someone abusing street parking ( not occasional guests) we can call the Sumter County Sheriff's office to file a complaint.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
FROM A PREVIOUS THREAD:

I was recently given a citation by the Sheriffs dept. and will be paying $116 fine.

I was parked in front of my friends house because we were all playing cards in the villages. The neighbor across the street pulled out of his driveway and smashed into my driver's side door. My insurance said to call the police and have the neighbor call their insurance company. The police said the neighbor got a citation for more money that will affect his insurance, but that I was at fault too for parking on the roadway!!! The section is 316.1945.1.a.6 I called the clerk of courts and she told me that if I lost the case, I could be charged $500 plus court costs plus they can sanction my license.

So, do not park in the road in The Villages. You may get a citation if anything happens. I called two lawyers and one said to fight it, and one said they wouldn't. I am not going to fight it. But it is wrong.
ALSO:

From a May 2012 article by Diane Tucker, the VCDD's Administrative Operations Manager:

"I also am asked if vehicles are allowed to be parked on the streets. The streets are for public access. If a vehicle is parked on a street and impedes the flow of traffic, is a safety concern or has blocked your driveway or vehicles cannot get around it, call your local law enforcement and they will ask that the vehicle be moved if there is a safety concern.

Again, please be respectful of residents and visitors who travel our neighborhood streets. Park your vehicle in your garage or driveway and
concern of safety will not be an issue. If you have a recreational vehicle (RV), you may park the vehicle in your driveway for a period of 72 hours

Bill

FROM ANOTHER THREAD:

No parking in or on any county road or street or right of way in the unincorporated area of Sumter county.

So after reading this, and my neighbor confirmed with the supervisor, anyone parking on a county street in The Villages is subject to a citation.

The reason he made this inquiry of Sumter county is because the Villages doesn't have Jurisdiction any more. We have a neighbor that parks a ratty white pickup truck in front of his house just to annoy people. ( not commercial plates) Also the width of the streets in the neighborhood aren't designed for street parking.

Most people are reasonable and have no problem with with campers and motor homes loading and unloading but to have vehicles parked regularly in the streets would be dangerous and unsightly. One of the main attractions for us was a community with deed restrictions so we don't end up living in a town like we left.

So if we have a problem with someone abusing street parking ( not occasional guests) we can call the Sumter County Sheriff's office to file a complaint.
I didn't think the roads inside the neighborhoods were County roads.....I just closed and my deed restrictions allow on street parking for 3/4 ton non commercial trucks or smaller and cars. If the County has jurisdiction why are the rules in the deed restrictions?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-14-2015, 10:53 PM

Do not park on the road from November 1st to March 31st. The Snowplows need to get through the area.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
FROM A PREVIOUS THREAD:

ALSO:

Bill

FROM ANOTHER THREAD:

thank-you
for sharing----if more than a few people get together, it get's tricky
Old 02-15-2015, 05:56 AM
Sage

There are always half a dozen vehicles parked on my street, mostly trucks but some cars too. It becomes a problem when cars approaching in opposite directions. And when the people 4 houses away park their enormous RV getting ready to go on a trip, oh boy, it's awful
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 02-15-2015, 10:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I didn't think the roads inside the neighborhoods were County roads.....I just closed and my deed restrictions allow on street parking for 3/4 ton non commercial trucks or smaller and cars. If the County has jurisdiction why are the rules in the deed restrictions?
Isn't that a reference to your driveway?
Old 02-15-2015, 10:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
There are always half a dozen vehicles parked on my street, mostly trucks but some cars too. It becomes a problem when cars approaching in opposite directions. And when the people 4 houses away park their enormous RV getting ready to go on a trip, oh boy, it's awful
Safety issue, guess you should call the Sheriff.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Email Reported As Spam

As i recollect cars are not suppose to be parked on public streets in TV

I know a guy who had a habit of parking his car in his driveway until he recognized long tailed inhabitants were using it at night
Old 02-15-2015, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynitsche View Post
Do not park on the road from November 1st to March 31st. The Snowplows need to get through the area.
ROTFLMAO,

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.