Passing in the diamond lanes

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2023, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
I tend not to pass carts anywhere, don’t see the need nor do I feel it should be allowed. Carts that pass are generally going 25-25 mph but that is a different subject. Staying behind a bike or the like would be troublesome for all, some of these people struggle to keep moving forward never mind keeping up some speed.

Like people have said in the past, one cart behind you they have the issue, multiple carts Ling up behind you, you are the issue.
I would just PULL OVER because I am retired and NO LONGER in a hurry - racing with my "hair on fire". Actually, I don't have any hair TO catch on fire.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest737 View Post
Deb Penney LeMay On Villages FB group posted her being ticketed for passing a slow cart. She can probably get it tossed if she takes it to court. The solid white line designates the multi modal lane. It does not define a no passing zone.
Deputy Fife needs to get a clue and stop harassing law abiding Villagers.
I've always thought the solid white line is to define the diamond lane from the vehicular roadway. It never even crossed my mind that the solid while line defining the diamond lane could not be crossed. I don't do it often, but I see faster carts doing it all the time when they pass me in my turtle golf cart.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
Ok. Now the elephant in the room…..Top speed on my cart is 20 mph. I do see it reach 21 mph downhill or in a strong tailwind. EVERYBODY passes me. Should I “adjust” that little spring so I can increase speed by 5 mph?! Probably illegal but it would help a lot of cart drivers behind me better avoid a ticket. A conundrum.
What little spring? Is your cart gas or electric?
Old 02-06-2023, 11:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Perhaps this was a case where it was clear the passing cart was going 20+ but without proof, the no passing ticket was issued.

Especially if the offender exhibited bad attitude during the stop.
It has been said that ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING in life. I would say that it is very important.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I've always thought the solid white line is to define the diamond lane from the vehicular roadway. It never even crossed my mind that the solid while line defining the diamond lane could not be crossed. I don't do it often, but I see faster carts doing it all the time when they pass me in my turtle golf cart.
"Turtle Golf Carts do NOT roll over as much as the HOT ROD faster types do. Be glad that they are SAFER - NOT to mention that the ones with jacked-up governors are flushing too much fuel through their piston cylinders and will NOT be reliable if kept for years and years as the NORMAL 20 MPH. And also not to mention, that the faster Carts are SPEWING more POLLUTANTS into the atmosphere than about 5 newer automobiles!
Old 02-06-2023, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Same here, "assumed" it applied to automobiles to keep them out of the diamond lane.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Pretty sure the law requires you to wear your seatbelts. Most golf carts in the Villages don't have seatbelts. The driving manual applies to people who drive cars. There is also a motorcycle driving manual that applies to people who drive motorcycles. There's yet another one for tractor-trailer drivers. There is no mandatory golf car driving manual. The rules for golf carts are different, because they have different minimum standards, and different driving conditions. Cars aren't supposed to drive on the shoulder of a road. Golf cars are required to drive on the shoulder of the road.

Never use a manual for one thing, as an instruction book for another.
ALL vehicles, cars, trucks, street sweepers, golf carts, motorcycles, tricycles, bicycles, and whatever operating on the roadways have to follow the same basic traffic laws. Stopping at stop signs, not passing in prohibited area, observing the speed limit, signaling turn intent, required vehicle lighting, proper lane usage, etc. I'd like to see someone argue with a cop that running a redlight with your golf cart is legal because there isn't a golf cart manual.

By the way, our cart has seat belts and we use them.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I'll repeat myself: the police can't stop you without probable cause. Stopping someone for speeding is different than stopping someone when they have not violated any laws. What part of that do you not understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
There is ALWAYS a gulf / a difference between what is IDEALLY right and what IS practical. LEOs would NOT have to stop 100% of the carts to check them - maybe 10%. then by word of mouth and FINES, people would set their speed back to 20MPH. Actually, I would not care if EVERY CART was set at 25 MPH. Just AGREE on a low speed because gas Carts have a HIGH center of gravity and make (some chosen speed) UNIVERSAL in TV Land.
......Actually, that is SO LOGICAL that I think that even TV Land would go for that !
.......Not to mention, that it would be a safety situation and save lives. Wouldn't THAT be nice?

And, of course, as far as probable cause goes. I think that a LEO could EYEBALL a passing golf cart and KNOW when they are going 30 to 40 MPH. Even I can do that and I am OLD. ALSO, they have speed guns, I believe.
Old 02-06-2023, 02:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
This exact situation happened to me on Del Mar Drive. I had exited Spanish Springs. After passing through the gate, I was behind a motorized wheelchair moving slower than Fred Sanford. At the first intersection where the white line stopped I pulled out, passed it and pulled back in before the next white line. I was watching for
Waiting for a break in the stripe may not work with the traffic that you must avoid. You could go for several blocks before the break in the line and the traffic is clear. Seems silly not to be able to pass a slower moving vehicle when the traffic is clear even if it means crossing over the solid white line that marks the diamond lane.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
There is ALWAYS a gulf / a difference between what is IDEALLY right and what IS practical. LEOs would NOT have to stop 100% of the carts to check them - maybe 10%. then by word of mouth and FINES, people would set their speed back to 20MPH. Actually, I would not care if EVERY CART was set at 25 MPH. Just AGREE on a low speed because gas Carts have a HIGH center of gravity and make (some chosen speed) UNIVERSAL in TV Land.
......Actually, that is SO LOGICAL that I think that even TV Land would go for that !
.......Not to mention, that it would be a safety situation and save lives. Wouldn't THAT be nice?

And, of course, as far as probable cause goes. I think that a LEO could EYEBALL a passing golf cart and KNOW when they are going 30 to 40 MPH. Even I can do that and I am OLD. ALSO, they have speed guns, I believe.
You really expect us to believe you've "eyeballed" golf carts going 40 mph?

-Tom Petty
Old 02-06-2023, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
"Turtle Golf Carts do NOT roll over as much as the HOT ROD faster types do. Be glad that they are SAFER - NOT to mention that the ones with jacked-up governors are flushing too much fuel through their piston cylinders and will NOT be reliable if kept for years and years as the NORMAL 20 MPH. And also not to mention, that the faster Carts are SPEWING more POLLUTANTS into the atmosphere than about 5 newer automobiles!
What brand "electric" golf cart do you drive?

-Tom Petty
Old 02-06-2023, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
You really expect us to believe you've "eyeballed" golf carts going 40 mph?
I don’t believe anything he says. He’s blocked so I don’t have to see the nonsense. Except when someone quotes him.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,686 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardlyworking View Post
I don’t believe anything he says. He’s blocked so I don’t have to see the nonsense. Except when someone quotes him.
I've blocked him too.
I think he just wants to engage in arguments.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardlyworking View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I've blocked him too.
I think he just wants to engage in arguments.

I'm getting close to blocking. He's been on a bad roll lately. If you block you won't see
when the greatly deserved time out happens.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Maybe back off the coffee a bit.

I have been told that a few times on this forum. (Hence, my user name). LOL.

Tags
diamond, passing, cart, quick, search

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.