Patio Furniture in Screened-In Birdcage

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2023, 05:29 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,636 Times in 442 Posts
Default Patio Furniture in Screened-In Birdcage

I recently added a wrap-around birdcage to my patio villa (screened in). I now want to add patio furniture (dining table with chairs /chaise lounge / chairs with cushions).

This is my first summer here, and now that it’s rainy season, want to know what others have done patio-furniture-wise on their outdoor patios or in their screened in birdcages that get wet when it rains.

I have some nice chairs and ottomans with cushions, that I have quickly found out absorb rain, and will eventually produce mildew, so I’ve had to move them to the covered area of my front lanai. Before purchasing more outdoor furniture, would like recommendations on what materials are best to leave out without having to cover each time it rains.

I would like to entertain and have permanent lounge and dining furniture in birdcage, but don’t want to have buyers regret if I purchase furniture that will not hold up to the Florida summer rains.

As usual, thanks for your replies and advice. 😀
Old 05-25-2023, 06:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

We bought all of our outdoor furniture (dining table, 4 chairs, 6 recliner chairs with footstools, side tables, and two wicker chairs) at Perfect Porch. Actually, we use the two very comfortable wicker chairs inside our house. We bought these items in 2016 thru 2019.

We looked at Leisure Living, Coral Casual, and Palm Casual, but we liked the furniture at Perfect Porch much better. As I recall, the furniture was made by Windward Designs.

It looks like they are still in business. We have four of the high-back rockers and ottomans and four of the non-reclining dining chairs. We use them every morning when we sit outside and have our coffee.

Our Collections - Sonata Sling - Windward Design Group

Last edited by VApeople; 05-25-2023 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:56 AM
Veteran member

For furniture that will be in the rain we like the sling chairs and loungers. The rain doesn’t pool and they dry off quickly. Our outdoor tables are cement, tile, or metal. We do have an outdoor firepit, but the cover stays on whenever we aren’t using it.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:20 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Sunbrella brand.

Couple places around TV to buy from......within 1/2 drive.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Sunbrella brand.

Couple places around TV to buy from......within 1/2 drive.
where can you purchase nearby?
Old 05-25-2023, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

In South Florida, I had furniture with cushions that were supposed to be "mildew resistant". Never again will I do cushions if the furniture is exposed to the elements.

Here, we purchased all our outdoor furniture at Perfect Porch. The sling chairs and chaise loungers look brand new and they are a couple years old now. I highly recommend Perfect Porch for your outdoor furniture.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:33 AM

Palm Casual in Winter Park just off the turnpike. Family owned, they make it there, sunbrella cushions. Lifetime guarantee. My furniture is 3 years old, always left on Lanai. Hose them off if they get dirty, still as bright as the day I bought them. I also got a metal table and chairs there. I do have roll down shades that keep out some rain, but I don't fuss and move anything or pay them any attention. I am very happy.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:35 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer222 View Post
where can you purchase nearby?
Actually quite a few places and different customers like different retailers.

We liked Perfect Porch and Palm Casual.

Even Overstock.com has some.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

Is any part of the bird cage under roof? We have a birdcage around the pool and attaches ate the house. At the covered lanai area. Purchased from Palm Casual. Excellent service and guarantee. There is a product called Polywood. Guaranteed for 20 years. Must buy on line. I believe Palm Casual have their own version.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:20 AM

We bought a very nice wicker sectional set from Home Depot and it's been great for years, however some of the wicker is starting to disintegrate and leaving sharp edges on the arm rests. Probably will not go with wicker again. Lesson learned.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:29 AM
Default Lounge chair

Hi Michael - I have a lounge chair from Palm Casual that I am going to sell because I moved and my screened area is smaller than what i had before. If you are interested in looking at it, let me know.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRich View Post
We bought a very nice wicker sectional set from Home Depot and it's been great for years, however some of the wicker is starting to disintegrate and leaving sharp edges on the arm rests. Probably will not go with wicker again. Lesson learned.
We have the Wicker look outdoor furniture purchased in NJ 24 years ago! Not at Home Depot. A store that sold quality patio furniture. Now here in Florida, Palm Casual matched it well.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

If you want comfortable cushions sunbrella or not, they will mildew if left to the elements. We have palm casual, wicker, with cushions. Ours are 12 years old and still look new, because I have covers for all of them. Takes less than 5 minutes to cover 2 rockers, sectional, 2 loveseats and chairs.

They do make polywood furniture that one can remove cushions and store in outdoor containers.

Until pool is finished everything is under lanai, and yes i covered anything that was at the screening
Old 05-25-2023, 09:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Bottom line, no cover from the rain, no cushions of any kind/brand.
A weaved material, like someone mention, for outdoor furniture can
get wet and dries fast.
Cushions are a pain to store but comfortable when dry.
Your choice
Old 05-25-2023, 11:51 AM

We currently have patio furniture from Polywood (it's sold in many stores including Home Depot) and love it. Most of their outdoor furniture is comfortable enough without cushions.

We are in the process of relocating to TV from Minnesota. Our current Polywood furniture is black so we aren't planning on bringing it with us assuming it will be much too hot in the sun but we will be looking for the same brand in a different color when we get there in October.

Highly recommend Polywood.
Closed Thread

Tags
furniture, patio, rains, chairs, birdcage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.