Patio mini fruit producing plants questions

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2021, 02:52 PM
Default Patio mini fruit producing plants questions

We have a 20x20 enclosed lanai, and an 800sq ft birdcage that is off of it.

I would love to grow some patio pot type of meyers lemons and fig plants in our birdcage area where we could bring them into the enclosed lanai area if needed for weather, but do NOT want to encourage anything eating thru our birdcage in order to get to said fruits.

Does anyone know if rats/birds/squirrels/whatever detects flowering fruit on the trees in pots inside of our birdcage would encourage them to chew thru the screens?

Needless to say they would be seen/tended to daily and not allowed to fall and rot as many fruit trees outside birdcages do. We are home far more than we are not and enjoy our large, covered birdcage often several times a day.

TIA for any direction/experience you might have with this.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Rats chewed 2 holes in my bird cage and there is nothing growing in my cage.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:45 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Plant it and they will come. If you plant them outside of the birdcage at least the hawks, owls, eagles, snakes, etc., will eat the rodents they attract. Let mother nature handle it.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

We have some fruit trees in our neighborhood, and there are fruits rotting on the ground by their trunks. I wouldn't worry about animals eating the fruits. If they're healthy trees, you'll get enough fruit to feed yourself and the animals, and still have to pick up rotting fruit from the ground to prevent mounds of ants.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

The answer to your question is "Yes, the critters will try to get through your birdcage"
Old 05-27-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
The answer to your question is "Yes, the critters will try to get through your birdcage"
Thanks much all...this answer is all I need to know I'll stick to beautiful florals and skip the mini fruit trees. Appreciate the input.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
We have a 20x20 enclosed lanai, and an 800sq ft birdcage that is off of it.

I would love to grow some patio pot type of meyers lemons and fig plants in our birdcage area where we could bring them into the enclosed lanai area if needed for weather, but do NOT want to encourage anything eating thru our birdcage in order to get to said fruits.

Does anyone know if rats/birds/squirrels/whatever detects flowering fruit on the trees in pots inside of our birdcage would encourage them to chew thru the screens?

Needless to say they would be seen/tended to daily and not allowed to fall and rot as many fruit trees outside birdcages do. We are home far more than we are not and enjoy our large, covered birdcage often several times a day.

TIA for any direction/experience you might have with this.
Not based on experience but on reading. Myers lemon there is a dwarf variety that grows 4-6 foot tall. I imagine in a large pot it would stay on the smaller side. It is self pollinating so you only need one. It is hearty zone 9-10. On a really cold night you might want to move it close to your home.

Wildlife and your birdcage? Reality, they are resourceful. Nothing will stop ALL of them.
Oreoles-the lizzards. Confession, we had one on our lanai. I thought it go in through the door when we opened it. I tried to scare it out and that didn't work. I put out a dish of water for him thinking it would need water. I am a fool. It comes and goes when ever it chooses to.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
We have some fruit trees in our neighborhood, and there are fruits rotting on the ground by their trunks. I wouldn't worry about animals eating the fruits. If they're healthy trees, you'll get enough fruit to feed yourself and the animals, and still have to pick up rotting fruit from the ground to prevent mounds of ants.
I am growing blueberries. I would gladly accept the birds taking 10%. Perhaps that was true the first year. Recent years, I grow tons of fruit. Typically I get about 10 blueberries and the birds take the rest. Southern birds have no class. They do not wait for them to ripen. They eat them green. Yes I have put out nets. I've caught birds in them as well as snakes.
Closed Thread

Tags
birdcage, fruit, area, patio, encourage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.