Patio Villa - Colony vs Cabot Cove?

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts
Default Patio Villa - Colony vs Cabot Cove?

I've noticed that TV builds many more Colony models than Cabot Coves. Currently 46 spec models are under construction and only two are Cabot Coves.

What I don't understand is when comparing the two, the Cabot Cove has volume ceilings and an inside laundry, and the Colony does not. The Colony does have space for a dinette in the kitchen and a slightly longer bar, but I'd much rather have my W/D inside and volume ceilings since the living area is rather small. Am I overlooking something about the Colony model?
Old 03-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Veteran member

We have a Colony that we bought in 2005. We have an inside laundry and vaulted ceilings. If I remember correctly, there was at least 4 different Colony models. I think ours is a Colony D.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
We have a Colony that we bought in 2005. We have an inside laundry and vaulted ceilings. If I remember correctly, there was at least 4 different Colony models. I think ours is a Colony D.
Thanks for that info, that does explain why they might be building more Colony models, however they don't list specific details on the homes under construction.

If you look at Colony Villas under construction and then click on the floor plan, it shows the W/D is in the garage. Then click on the tour and the model has normal 8' ceilings. However, I did just find when looking in the new home gallery section, they have a second tour of a Colony that does show volume ceilings, but no photo of an inside laundry.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:13 PM

Check out the Colony "C". It has the inside washer/dryer and you can get vaulted ceilings or flat. It allows more room in the garage, especially allowing for opening the dryer door. We would have gone for the "C" but changed to a Cottage. The kitchen seemed to have more cabinets and work area in the Colony.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:31 PM

Both have an option of volume ceilings and inside laundry as well as hurricane roofs.

The colony has a bigger guest bedroom and room for a table in the kitchen.

Cabot cove has a bigger living room, better master bath layout, better garage layout, and a bigger attic (without the hurricane roof).

My best guess would be 25% cabot cove and 75% colony villas. So I would have to assume the colony is more popular.

For me both are great choices and I love the villa neighborhood.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:36 PM

I was not aware of the different colony choices, I thought it was colony or cabot cove. does anyone know the bond for a new one??
Old 12-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I was not aware of the different colony choices, I thought it was colony or cabot cove. does anyone know the bond for a new one?
Bringing this topic back from March, as I am also curious about the bond amount on a Patio Villa. ......Also, wondering if there are still different floor plans for the Colony.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:03 PM

do the villas have property on all 4 sides of each home? If so how much is on narrow side?
Old 12-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by old moe View Post
do the villas have property on all 4 sides of each home? If so how much is on narrow side?
If you're talking Patio Villas: Yes. The way things are set up for usage, the owner has access/usage rights to, and maintenance responsibilities for, all of the property on one side (where a small patio concrete slab is poured) of the PV......and no rights to anything on the other side. Legally, the land between each PV is 50-50 to the adjoining property owners. It makes for more/better utilization of the available space.

The total space between the typical Patio Villas is probably about 8' wide so - just an educated guess.

Bill
Old 12-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I've noticed that TV builds many more Colony models than Cabot Coves. Currently 46 spec models are under construction and only two are Cabot Coves.

What I don't understand is when comparing the two, the Cabot Cove has volume ceilings and an inside laundry, and the Colony does not. The Colony does have space for a dinette in the kitchen and a slightly longer bar, but I'd much rather have my W/D inside and volume ceilings since the living area is rather small. Am I overlooking something about the Colony model?
We have friends who have the Cabot Cove and other friends who have the Colony. I have a courtyard villa, not sure what the model is called now but it was The Las Brisas when we bought 13 years ago...think it changed to "Woodlawn"...I chose this model mainly because of the awesome kitchen. I have tremendous counter top/bar area, a pantry and tons of cabinets. I do not know how my friend who has the Cabot Cove manages with the kitchen in that model. She doesn't have much counter space and that would be a deal-breaker for me. The Colony has a much better kitchen, in my opinion, and that, alone, would tip the scales in favor of that model for me. Now, if one isn't going to do much cooking either model should be fine! Another thing that I look for is the size of the bathroom vanities.....many, especially the guest vanities, are way too small and have no counter space for makeup, hair dryers, etc.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
Bringing this topic back from March, as I am also curious about the bond amount on a Patio Villa. ......Also, wondering if there are still different floor plans for the Colony.
I see you bumped this thread I started back in March and never really got your question answered. At that time we were looking at patio villas in Bayport Villas, which is in Buttonwood. Those villas had a bond of $10,000 and we had picked out a Cabot Cove with white cabinets and volume ceiling that was on sale for $140,000. The Cabot Cove comes one of two ways, volume ceilings or low ceilings. The Colony comes with either ceiling and with the option of an inside laundry or garage laundry. They basically just turn the W/D one way or the other and change the wall to make them inside or garage side.

We listed our Baltimore home in May and sold it in one day. We immediately called our agent to put a deposit on our credit card to buy the Cabot Cove. Our salesman informed us that the Savannah CYV's (masonry) were being renamed Bungalow CYV's so they had marked all of them down $6,000. On top of that, Southern Star Villas in Tamarind Grove was being sold out and they marked a Woodlawn CYV (2BR) down another $6,000 so we ended up buying a Woodlawn CYV at $12,000 off. It wasn't that much more than the patio villas we had originally intended to buy and the bond was only $14,000, sometimes all your best laid plans can go a different way.

Last edited by John_W; 12-05-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Platinum member

Thanks for the info and the update. Sounds like everything worked out great for you.....hope I will also have a success story soon.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.