Patio Villa Laundry/moving to kitchen from garage

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-11-2019, 01:25 PM
Brendanyc Brendanyc is offline
Member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Patio Villa Laundry/moving to kitchen from garage

I am considering purchasing a colony patio villa. I am currently renting one with an interior laundry in the kitchen but the one I am looking at for purchase has the laundry in the garage. The garage does have screens. Has anyone turned the laundry around and opened the kitchen wall to accommodate it? If so, how expensive or difficult of a job is this? If you have your laundry in the garage, do you find it terribly oppressive in the summer when doing laundry? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
  #2  
Old 05-11-2019, 01:30 PM
Chatbrat Chatbrat is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,358
Thanks: 0
Thanked 819 Times in 337 Posts
Default

Lot of expense, buy the villa you would like from the get go--rerouting plumbing on a slab isn't cheap
  #3  
Old 05-11-2019, 02:22 PM
theorem painter's Avatar
theorem painter theorem painter is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tall Trees
Posts: 429
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I am having that project done right now and as Chatbrat pointed out, it isn't cheap. They had to use a jack hammer to reroute the plumbing.
__________________
Sally
******************************************
Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
  #4  
Old 05-11-2019, 09:46 PM
Fraugoofy Fraugoofy is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,545
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendanyc View Post
I am considering purchasing a colony patio villa. I am currently renting one with an interior laundry in the kitchen but the one I am looking at for purchase has the laundry in the garage. The garage does have screens. Has anyone turned the laundry around and opened the kitchen wall to accommodate it? If so, how expensive or difficult of a job is this? If you have your laundry in the garage, do you find it terribly oppressive in the summer when doing laundry? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
I really enjoy garage laundry. Quiet and can do it any time of the day. I usually start my laundry about midnight...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
  #5  
Old 05-12-2019, 12:13 AM
Midnight Cowgirl Midnight Cowgirl is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 421
Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
I really enjoy garage laundry. Quiet and can do it any time of the day. I usually start my laundry about midnight...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Bingo!
Life begins at "Midnight."

Get it??!?
  #6  
Old 05-12-2019, 12:14 AM
Abby10 Abby10 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,417
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I stayed in a PV for a month in August one year and found I didn't mind having a garage laundry at the time. So when I bought a PV a few years later, I chose one with a garage laundry figuring it would cut down on noise and excess heat inside the house.
  #7  
Old 05-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Harleyman Harleyman is offline
Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 93
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ours are inside. Even with new quiet tech appliances they are still very noisy. We wish ours were in the garage.
  #8  
Old 05-12-2019, 06:05 PM
coffeebean coffeebean is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Village of Mallory Square
Posts: 2,358
Thanks: 44
Thanked 697 Times in 328 Posts
Default

Had laundry in the garage for 10 years when we lived in south Florida. I got in the habit of doing laundry early in the morning to escape the oppressive heat later in the day. We had a patio villa here for five years with an interior laundry in the kitchen. I would not want another home with laundry in the garage after experiencing air conditioned and immaculate laundry space.
__________________
coffeebean
  #9  
Old 05-13-2019, 09:51 AM
bilcon bilcon is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 483
Thanks: 4
Thanked 128 Times in 62 Posts
Default

There are newer villas with laundry rooms inside. Our original home was a Foxglove model with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and interior Laundry room. Unfortunately, the garage was tiny and we moved. Would never want to have a laundry in garage. Too hot and too many critters.


"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."
  #10  
Old 05-13-2019, 04:02 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,407
Thanks: 132
Thanked 544 Times in 265 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
There are newer villas with laundry rooms inside. Our original home was a Foxglove model with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and interior Laundry room. Unfortunately, the garage was tiny and we moved. Would never want to have a laundry in garage. Too hot and too many critters.


"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."
I think our CYV is the same as yours. Another thing I like about having an interior laundry room is being able to store supplies without them getting dirty or overheated. We have a front-loading dryer, and I drop items quite a bit when pulling them out of the dryer (socks and the like). I wouldn't like having them land on the garage floor.


And the laundry room sink makes a great receptacle for the recycle bag. I can practice my basketball shots from the hallway.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #11  
Old 05-16-2019, 08:21 AM
judithamorrison judithamorrison is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Just moved to Duval from Pompano Beach.
Posts: 7
Thanks: 29
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

We just moved here last month. Before we moved in I had the garage floor "epoxied" and I love doing laundry in the garage. I can wash the floor with my swifter to be sure my feet & laundry stay clean.
__________________
Judy
Closed Thread

Tags
laundry, garage, kitchen, patio, villa

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.