Patio villa and low maintenance yard

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Default Patio villa and low maintenance yard

I am considering buying a 2-2 patio villa. Are there any regulations against creating a low maintenance yard using stones or evergreen ground cover with this type of villa? Are there any regulations agains planting trees for a privacy border in the back or on the sides of the villa? If anyone who owns a patio villa has completed such a project, I would be interested in knowing the approximate cost of your venture. Any thoughts or comments will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Re: Patio villa and low maintenance yard

I don't think you can do all that without permission and they won't give you permission............Sounds like you should be looking at a courtyard villa.......You can remove grass and replace with stone and schrubs to create a no maint. home......Thats why many people who go back and forth buy courtyard villa's..........
I had one that I planted palms and water fountain in the yard and it was beautiful ...........only problem was my wife liked so well that she wanted to buy a bigger home and move their permanently....which we did and we love it.................
Old 09-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Sage

We were told by a Village Sales Agent that permission had to be obtained for any shrub or tree planting done by any resident.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Veteran member

Here in Tall Trees, several ranch homes whose lanai's are on Tall Trees Lane have planted and landscaped with beautiful bushes and trees, all with permission of the architectural committee. These plantings have given them privacy on both sides and in the back. If I had a lanai facing a busy street, I would have to plant this way because I love my privacy. Fortunately, we bought a courtyard villa in Cherry Vale and have the utmost privacy and we can plant whatever we want in our BACK yard but not in front.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:27 AM

Thanks very much to Fumar, Barefoot and Fran. I appreciate your taking the time to write and for your good comments. Given the information, which was very helpful, I may need to alter my plans somewhat. Best wishes.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Our friends have a courtyard villa in Belmont Villas and they completely redid the front.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:14 AM

Golfnut, thanks for the information. That is good to know. Do you know if your neighbors had to get permission from "the Committee" in order to do this? I am understanding that a "Committee" has to approve changes to a yard. With respect to this, I don't yet understand the extent to which you have to get "Committee" approval for yard changes. I cannot imagine that if you want to install a small circle of stones with an evergreen in the center that you have to get "committee" approval. Perhaps you, or someone else can shed some light on this. TY again.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

I'm planning to move to The Villages and I'd like a "no maintenance" yard too.
I've seen photos of many on the listing services, including some patio homes that seemed no maintenance.
I also know that it's like an "architectural control committee" or something.
But if what you do is in good taste, seems they go along.
Good luck, this is interesting.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:28 AM

Hi JohnZ , As yet , I personally haven't seen any "no maint" patio villa yard but I am pleased to know that they are out there. Thanks for writing. I will continue my search. TOTV is a great website because you can learn a lot here and make new acquaintances such as yourself. Best wishes. Trueblue
Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Sage

When we arrive in October we are planning to do a "no maintenance" front yard in our Courtyard Villa with palm trees and river rock. Will we need prior approval to do this? If so, does anyone know, can you obtain this approval via the internet from "the committee" (sounds ominous) :cop:
Old 09-20-2007, 06:02 AM
Platinum member

I believe the form is in your Villages phone book.
Tampa, FL
Old 09-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot at last
When we arrive in October we are planning to do a "no maintenance" front yard in our Courtyard Villa with palm trees and river rock. Will we need prior approval to do this? If so, does anyone know, can you obtain this approval via the internet from "the committee" (sounds ominous) :cop:
Check this site out and there is a application form included in this page.

http://www.districtgov.org/slcdd/archreview.asp
Old 09-20-2007, 08:53 AM

Thanks Indy Guy for the good website information. From this website the regulation reads:

"The Architectural Review Committee (ARC) is responsible for approving any and all alterations, changes or modifications to the property and home as built by the developer. This requirement for prior approval includes but is not limited to: porch or patio enclosures, canopies, awnings, garage screens, additional concrete, coloring of walks, landscaping and driveways and modifications to previously approved plans. An application with a set of plans must be submitted and approval granted before work is started."

This seems clear in that any shrub planted or stone bed added to any yard in TV after the developer turns over the property must be approved by the ARC. Can anyone tell me if this is enforced to "the letter of the law" or are there exceptions? I would conclude that (given the large number of homes in TV) that this is impossible to enforce. I would imagine that only blatant and obvious changes are enforced. I would be interested in getting reactions to my conclusion from anyone. If you have any personal experiences with this (favorable or unfavorable) perhaps you could share these experiences. Thanks to everyone for their contributions to this issue.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:21 AM

OK, I am at Lowes and they have a deal on some lovely shrubs, so I buy 3 for my front walk, to enhance the area. We have already established that the contractor landscape package is lacking. So do I have to get permission to plant 1, 2, or 3 plants, or do I just plant those puppies late at nite. Seems to me that as long as what you do is in good taste conforming to or enhancing what you already have then OK. I can see getting permission for a tree. Granted I also do not want to get up the next morning and see that my neighbor put in a pink windmill with little wooden figures at night.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Platinum member

Perhaps a small clarification of how things worked for me will tell you how it seems to work!
When I finally decided on a landscaper to improve what came with the house, a sketch was drawn up and I provided a copy of the original plat showing house on the land. The landscaper modified and added planting beds (larger space in front yard, additional bushes/trees there; new plantings "in back" with suitable edging, rock mulch, etc.; added a good-sized tree, edged and mulched . . .). Landscaper did all the work with The Committee, which was helpful.
That's over two years ago. Since then, I've replaced many of the smaller plants and bushes, BUT haven't made any further changes to the edging or size/placement of beds. Nor have I gone to the powers that be for approval! I don't believe any of my neighbors have, either!
And, my understanding is that The Committee is pretty understanding, but is on the look out for flagrat violations of covenants, restrictions and "good taste!" In other words, no pink windmills with wooden figures, and no pink flamingoes, either!!!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.