The Paul Vesco Influence On TV Entertainment

Closed Thread
Old 12-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

jerry

I hear you and I also would enjoy a variety in entertainment but no one said life is fair especially in the entainment business. Do you know if what happens in the Villages Entertainment group, is it any different than how most booking agents work?? Paul Vesco is building his stable of quality entertainers who are then being employed by TV Entertainment Group.

In regards to someone monopolizing and controling access to the squares, Thats just not the case for I can name a number of other Good entertainers who play the squares that are NOT part of the Paul Vesco group ie Rocky and the Rollers, Norman Lee, Scooter as well as others....so there is no monopoly. We do have to realize (and jerry does admit this point) that without The Village entertainment group their would be no nightly entertainment. If the entertainment was BAD ..no one would come,,,but I dont think that is the problem. Can things improve of course they can......but its not that bad now! Now can we name other local talent who we would like to see but for whatever reason TV Enteratinment Group does not sign them...sure we can but as in any business, the fact that you are good is not the only reason people or groups are hired.....or not.

Now I saw in the paper today that a BIG anouncement was forth comming about the new square....BROWNWOOD. Once Brownwood comes alive, the demand for entertainment will incease by more than 30%. Most likely you will see less of the groups you see now in LSL or Spanish Springs, but I bet more of Paul Vesco newly formed groups.....and hopefully more outside groups!
Old 12-24-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohn View Post
Thanks for that link to Cross Fire. If you get a chance sometime, would you post one to Uncle Bob's Rock Shop? I didn't find them on Utube. Being able to sample them from away helps in deciding on who to see when visiting. Looking at the calendar I only see Uncle Bob at Katie Belles on 7 Jan.
Thanks.
Capt. John,

I record and publish a lot of The Villages entertainers, including [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyAOvfH5EFg"]Vesco's band.[/ame] They are good. It's my hobby. Don't know that I will get down to Katie Belle's on Jan 7th, but I'll keep an eye out for Bob.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Gold member

Thanks, Jerry. That post will blow some minds! I get it.
In reality, they're different!
Old 12-24-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
jerry

I hear you and I also would enjoy a variety in entertainment but no one said life is fair especially in the entainment business. Do you know if what happens in the Villages Entertainment group, is it any different than how most booking agents work?? Paul Vesco is building his stable of quality entertainers who are then being employed by TV Entertainment Group.

In regards to someone monopolizing and controling access to the squares, Thats just not the case for I can name a number of other Good entertainers who play the squares that are NOT part of the Paul Vesco group ie Rocky and the Rollers, Norman Lee, Scooter as well as others....so there is no monopoly. We do have to realize (and jerry does admit this point) that without The Village entertainment group their would be no nightly entertainment. If the entertainment was BAD ..no one would come,,,but I dont think that is the problem. Can things improve of course they can......but its not that bad now! Now can we name other local talent who we would like to see but for whatever reason TV Enteratinment Group does not sign them...sure we can but as in any business, the fact that you are good is not the only reason people or groups are hired.....or not.

Now I saw in the paper today that a BIG anouncement was forth comming about the new square....BROWNWOOD. Once Brownwood comes alive, the demand for entertainment will incease by more than 30%. Most likely you will see less of the groups you see now in LSL or Spanish Springs, but I bet more of Paul Vesco newly formed groups.....and hopefully more outside groups!
Yep, I agree with you, Caroline. I just don't like the idea of the Entertainment Director's wife responding to her husband's wishes to employ "his" entertainers, however good they are, and they are.

But, I miss [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDJTKIoCLBc"]Karen and Stan Hall[/ame] and Margo and the Rodeo, not Vesco clients. No one does "Bad Romance" better than Karen. Not even Cathy Merkel with Vesco, although I like Cathy doing it. I want to see [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuCIYFKQpSw"]Karen[/ame] and Margo, more often.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandbrare View Post
Must be the Christmas Season, but I'm softening. Paul Vesco is a prominent musician, band leader, and promoter. He has brought excellent talent to The Villages to perform on the squares, free to all who would attend. I listed 10 appearances of his band and his associates for the month of December, and I'm speculating that I missed one: Street Talk who got three gigs. I've not confirmed their association with Vesco, as yet, but three gigs makes it likely, to me.

The Villages developer pays for this entertainment to enhance the appeal of The Villages to existing residents and would-be residents. It's a great benefit: free live entertainment every night. It is just another facet of his genius. And, The Villages is a marketing marvel, a residential paradise, a heaven-before-heaven for those of us old timers who are lucky enough to have found our way here.

But, there's always a "but", and mine is that I resent Paul Vesco coming in, and influencing the bookings through his wife. His wife, Barbara, is head of Entertainment and has been for years. She works for the developer, not for the local governments,CDD's, but "the developer." So, it is up to the developer to make changes to this situation.

If you are not a Paul Vesco associate, your chances of getting a booking are reduced.

So, I should not worry abut this or that entertainer who is not getting bookings, anymore? And, if a friend is trying to get a gig and is a good entertainer, I should not be concerned that he can't? I should just go and enjoy the high-quality Vesco entertainment?

But, I've been here 10 years, and I DO resent the takeover by Paul Vesco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Oh, yes we do. But, like freedom, you have to watch out for threats to your way of life. The concern raised by the OP may seem trivial to you, but, to me, an attempt to monopolize and control access to the town square entertainment is a concern to me. As others have posted, there are some excellent groups that have appeared here in the past that don't seem to return. Perhaps they are more successful playing elsewhere. If so, fine. But I would not want them to be excluded because they don't happen to be represented by, or refuse to be represented by someone whose relative controls the bookings.
Jerry and Mike,
Good points, well stated. Thankfully, Vesco does provide quality entertainment. It's a shame if other quality talent is being squeezed out by "insider" dealing.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Jerry and Mike,
Good points, well stated. Thankfully, Vesco does provide quality entertainment. It's a shame if other quality talent is being squeezed out by "insider" dealing.
Succinctly said. That's the whole issue. I suspect that the Vesco talent has to pay to be promoted. How else? If so, that isn't right. Especially if his wife is the one that books the acts. C'mon, guys. How difficult is this to see the conflict. Is Vesco the Entertainment Director, or is his wife, Barbara? Again, the Owner, The Villages, Inc., probable doesn't care as long as the entertainment is good. But, it's not fair. But, what is? I'll keep hammering until I get some satisfaction.

Hard Head

PS: Thanks for this forum.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran member

I agree 100%.The entertainers are good and i enjoy them but something is just not right about this policy.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohn View Post
Thanks for that link to Cross Fire. If you get a chance sometime, would you post one to Uncle Bob's Rock Shop? I didn't find them on Utube. Being able to sample them from away helps in deciding on who to see when visiting. Looking at the calendar I only see Uncle Bob at Katie Belles on 7 Jan.
Thanks.

The January entertainment schedule arrived with the Daily Sun today. Uncle Bob's Rock Shop has the following schedule:

January 3rd at Lake Sumter Landing
January 6th at Katie Belle's
January 7th at Katie Belle's
Old 01-03-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandbrare View Post
And, thank you Gracie for "bumping up" this thread, a couple of time. FYI and all, I have written a letter to Mr. Morse, whom I've never met, but respect greatly for his business genius. If only I had been as wise. I would anticipate that he would not take time to respond and probably not even pass it on. It's his business, after all. I understand that. So, I've vented and hopefully made some allies. I'll let you know, of course, if I get a response from Mr. Morse. Life is still VERY good. I am thankful for my good fortune, and I wish you all a Merry Christmas. Jerry Lester
I sent the letter (not email) to Mr. Morse on December 19. Still no reply on this, Jan 2. Didn't really expect one. The owners are paying and they can hire anyone they want to and if the Entertainment Director, Barbara Vesco, chooses to book her husbands associates to the disadvantage of other non-Vesco entertainers, it is not surprising. And if Mr. Morse is satisfied with the quality of entertainment and doesn't care about the ethics involved, it is surely his prerogative. Most visitors to the nightly entertainment are only concerned with the quality of the entertainers and their experience at The Villages, so they are not aware of what is working behind the scene.

I am disappointed, however, that this blatant nepotism is not repudiated and restricted by the owner.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:35 AM

Margo and Rodeo Drive just played and had a big write-up in the Daily Sun. As for Karen Hall, if I never have to see or hear her perform again it will be too soon. She's terrible IMHO.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Gold member

I have no problem with the entertainment.Everything is fine with me. Do not know the facts and really do not care. Seems like a lot of nothing here. Enjoy, move on.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

i couldn't agree more paulandjean, i think the vesco bands are among the best we have, if they had 13 bookings in December that's 20%, that leaves 80% for everyone else, and someone thinks this is an issue, ???????? not for me....gn
Old 01-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Veteran member

Come on. This is a bladent conflict of interest, pure and simple. How can this couple possibly deal at an "arm's length"?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.