Pavers vs. Epoxy

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2020, 11:19 AM

The best driveways I've seen were done by RAM Design. They're expensive but beautiful. Every driveway is a unique work of art and holds up well. Their work is instantly recognizable.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 10-26-2020, 11:33 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I would never put in pavers. Weeds grow in-between them and they can get knocked out of place or become uneven and be a tripping hazard. In the spirit of low maintenance, skip the pavers.
That's your personal opinion. God created Roundup for weeds, once a month it takes less than 5 minutes to spray the few weeds that come up, the pavers will only become uneven if the base is not prepared correctly, ours is still perfect 3 years after installation and if they did rise it's a 10 minute fix to level one. I don't mind the maintenance to have the beauty of a paver driveway, if done right they really add to the curb appeal of a home, we also added a small matching courtyard and matching hardscape so that it all blends in nicely.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:34 PM
Default Pavers

We have had thin pavers for 15 years and yes they need a lot of maintenance to look good. Also the driveway must be perfectly flat to avoid cracking. If using thick pavers, I don't know how they transition into the garage since with the thin pavers we already have over a 1/2 inch bump. I would go with epoxy coating if I were to do it over again. There are some very nice treatments in my neighborhood and they seem to be holding up very well with a top dressing every three or four years. Our pavers fade and need a cleaning and resealing every two years to look real good. Cost is over $400.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:38 PM

We spent over 4 months driving around in our golf cart and car looking at and taking pictures of well over 100 driveways to determine what was the best;we didn't find anything that we were happy with as all required constant maintenance, paint faded, pavers broke & weeds coming up through pavers, design ones chipped & you can't touch up;we stuck with good old Concrete;already had a heavy duty pressure washer so all I have to do is clean every 2 yrs;As a DIY, I look for less work, not more;We watch our neighbors driveways fade, blocked off for 3 days to seal or work on pavers....
Old 10-26-2020, 12:48 PM

Epoxy is less expensive to install and maintain.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:49 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveac83 View Post
We have had thin pavers for 15 years and yes they need a lot of maintenance to look good. Also the driveway must be perfectly flat to avoid cracking. If using thick pavers, I don't know how they transition into the garage since with the thin pavers we already have over a 1/2 inch bump. I would go with epoxy coating if I were to do it over again. There are some very nice treatments in my neighborhood and they seem to be holding up very well with a top dressing every three or four years. Our pavers fade and need a cleaning and resealing every two years to look real good. Cost is over $400.
They cut out a large section of concrete in front of the garage to bring them level with the floor gradually tapering them into the lower driveway sections. You should not have had a 1/2" bump at your garage with the thinner pavers, they were not installed correctly
Old 10-26-2020, 01:21 PM
Sage

The installers cut out about 6 feet of concrete to create a smooth transition to the garage. The first row of pavers on the garage floor "turndown" are thin pavers and then the rest of the driveway are thick pavers. The first row of thin pavers are under the garage door and gives a nice, finished look. I just resanded and resealed my pavers for $240.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveac83 View Post
Old 10-26-2020, 05:49 PM

Who do you use for PW and sealing your driveway?
Old 10-26-2020, 06:41 PM
Sage

I am not sure who your post was directed at. If it was me, I did the work myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodie360@outlook.com View Post
Who do you use for PW and sealing your driveway?
Old 10-27-2020, 07:12 AM

Pavers are fine as long as you use the thick pavers. Most companies try and get away with the thin pavers as they crack. Use the full thickness pavers. The pavers do look much better and cost about 6-7 bucks a square ft. Apoxy is great if your driveway is in great condition ie: no cracks that cost about 2.50 to 3 bucks a square ft. Same maintenance is involved RE-sealing every 4-5 years
Old 10-27-2020, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holpat39 View Post
Our neighborhood is 18 years old. Most of the pavers that were installed 10 years or more ago have cracks and broken pieces. Had my driveway painted 17 years ago and still looks great although a little faded. New fad is the stone look which neighbors are using to replace their pavers.
Are the pavers in your neighborhood that are broken and cracked the thin pavers or the thick pavers? The thick pavers seem to be indestructible. I was encouraged not to use the thin pavers. We had the thick pavers installed and so far, they look like new.

Tags
pavers, epoxy, cost, frequency, maintenance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.