paying contractors upfront

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2016, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

As a last resort, demand that the contractor use payment via credit card. If you have a problem with the contractor, you can contact your credit card company and have them intercede. In general I agree with all of the comments above. We did pay our landscaper upfront for the plants (about 1/3), and the remainder when the project was finished. The particular landscaper had done several projects in the neighborhood, and was known to several neighbors.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

A Fool And His Money Will Soon Be Parted.....But They Were Lucky To Be Together In The First Place.....Never Pay Upfront. If Someone Is Going To Feel Uncomfortable About Money Always Let It Be The Other Party! Otherwise
Old 04-29-2016, 10:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Do your homework prior to contracting for a project. Check with friends and neighbors, TOTV threads and BBB/seniors vs Crime etc. to find out the reputation and quality of work of the contractor or Vendor. Get a written contract from the contractor/Vendor.
If you are satisfied with the results of your homework, proceed with the project or purchase. There are some very reputable contractors that require some payment upfront (usually 1/3) and final payment when the job is finished. Just make sure you do your homework prior to any money changing hands.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment Painting Contractors View Post
Any reputable contractor will have credit set up with his vendors to buy materials. Generally a set amount is paid on completion of certain sections of a large job, such a material delivered to the job site, rough-in etc. These amounts are worked out between both parties in advance. Retain at least one third until the job is completed, and you are satisfied. Write the final check when you have lien waivers from every trade that worked on your project in your hands.
This is the Very first time that I have ever seen a contractor advising someone here on TOTV...I am really Impressed.

This is sound advice just one of the reason why I am going to call this paint company when I am ready to have the interior of my home painted.

Another terrific contractor is XL Construction Tel 352-266-1102..Paul White. No Down payment and No....Get this... Port a Potty.

Last edited by 600th Photo Sq; 04-30-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
This is the Very first time that I have ever seen a contractor advising someone here on TOTV...I am really Impressed.
You have obviously missed all the posts written by Frank D'Angelo, TOTV favorite home inspector.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-30-2016, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
You have obviously missed all the posts written by Frank D'Angelo, TOTV favorite home inspector.
Perhaps I did..however I did a Search on Frank D'Angelo and he does have a good reputation and apparently very busy as a " Home Inspector ".

However, I did not find one posting from Frank D'Angelo alerting people to Not put money down before the start of the project.

Since I obviously missed "All" post ( Your Words ) from Mr.D'Angelo...please enlighten me on what I missed.

Last edited by 600th Photo Sq; 04-30-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:42 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Thank you Sally for the kind words. I do try to help when I can here.......but of course there are so many other helpful folks here that often others solve the issue well and my 2 cents would just be redundant.

Sadly, one does need to be careful on who you hire and how payment should be made. I too generally agree with everything said so far....the more reputable contractors are usually set up to handle cash flow well without unreasonable demands.

I think sometimes the problems you read about stem from when one hires less well known businesses that do not have a well known presence or a good reputation that took years to build. Their attraction is many times being cheaper or "I can be there this Thursday..." The best guys are usually not the cheapest and usually can't start the job tomorrow.

The cheapest guy is often the cheapest because of cutting corners or is "learning the trade" on your job. He may not know the true costs of running a business and may indeed be out of business before the warranty he gives you expires.

In this internet age it is easy to learn about the improvement you are having done. Do some homework. Go see examples of other projects like what you want and ask the owners what small things made the quality difference. Often it is the small details that make the difference in both materials and installation as well as design.

Hope this helps! Respectfully, Frank
Old 04-30-2016, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Perhaps I did..however I did a Search on Frank D'Angelo and he does have a good reputation and apparently very busy as a " Home Inspector ".

However, I did not find one posting from Frank D'Angelo alerting people to Not put money down before the start of the project.

Since I obviously missed "All" post ( Your Words ) from Mr.D'Angelo...please enlighten me on what I missed.
No need to get your feathers ruffled.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Thank you Sally for the kind words. I do try to help when I can here.......but of course there are so many other helpful folks here that often others solve the issue well and my 2 cents would just be redundant.

Sadly, one does need to be careful on who you hire and how payment should be made. I too generally agree with everything said so far....the more reputable contractors are usually set up to handle cash flow well without unreasonable demands.

I think sometimes the problems you read about stem from when one hires less well known businesses that do not have a well known presence or a good reputation that took years to build. Their attraction is many times being cheaper or "I can be there this Thursday..." The best guys are usually not the cheapest and usually can't start the job tomorrow.

The cheapest guy is often the cheapest because of cutting corners or is "learning the trade" on your job. He may not know the true costs of running a business and may indeed be out of business before the warranty he gives you expires.

In this internet age it is easy to learn about the improvement you are having done. Do some homework. Go see examples of other projects like what you want and ask the owners what small things made the quality difference. Often it is the small details that make the difference in both materials and installation as well as design.

Hope this helps! Respectfully, Frank
Frank, You have made it crystal clear, Well Said

Closed Thread

Tags
upfront, job, price, give, hiring, contractor, contractors, thinking, paying, one-third

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.