Pedestrian passes

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2018, 04:58 AM
Sage
Default Pedestrian passes

On the unnamed online news source, I was saddened to see that the pedestrian who was hit by a golf cart has died.

People stop walking in the got cart paths please--she was way too young to end her life !!!
Old 01-31-2018, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
On the unnamed online news source, I was saddened to see that the pedestrian who was hit by a golf cart has died.

People stop walking in the got cart paths please--she was way too young to end her life !!!
Many, MANY of us walk the multi modal paths every single day. I do. And have been for for 15 years.

The death of this individual is most certainly a tragedy, however it was not where she was walking that took her life.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Many, MANY of us walk the multi modal paths every single day. I do. And have been for for 15 years.

The death of this individual is most certainly a tragedy, however it was not where she was walking that took her life.
She was walking on the path next to a sidewalk along a street. IMO, definitely not good...an avoidable tragedy.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
She was walking on the path next to a sidewalk along a street. IMO, definitely not good...an avoidable tragedy.
I did not know that. 100% agree!
Old 01-31-2018, 10:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Whether you are walking on a multi-modal path or at the edge of a residential street, if the golf cart driver isn't paying attention then you are out of luck.

This incident reinforces the fact that a golf cart is potentially a lethal weapon, and as much care should be taken when driving one as for any other vehicle.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Whether you are walking on a multi-modal path or at the edge of a residential street, if the golf cart driver isn't paying attention then you are out of luck.

This incident reinforces the fact that a golf cart is potentially a lethal weapon, and as much care should be taken when driving one as for any other vehicle.
Very nicely put. Regardless of where this person was struck, driver inattention was the cause.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Not only was she walking in a cart lane next to a sidewalk, she was walking with her back to traffic. 2 BIG mistakes led to a tragedy. Her friends who were on the sidewalk weren't hit, so yes, it was totally avoidable.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:36 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Unfortunately the pedestrian was walking with traffic and was hit from behind. Always, always walk against traffic so you can see what’s coming. I have seen walkers that were walking the wrong side of paths multiple times here in The Villages.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I see walkers walking on the wrong side (with traffic) all the time, then to compound the error they are wearing headphones! I even tried to call to a couple of them, and they appeared to not be able to hear me.
When walking always walk facing traffic, when riding a bike, always ride with traffic.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:06 PM
Veteran member

And then there are those street and path walkers at dusk or after dark who wear dark clothes, neglect to wear a reflecting garment and refuse to carry a flashing light or operate a flashlight.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:10 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

If the cart driver was paying attention the accident could have been avoided. You hit a pedestrian you are at fault period
Old 01-31-2018, 05:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
If the cart driver was paying attention the accident could have been avoided. You hit a pedestrian you are at fault period
Spot on, pretty simple IMO.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,927 Times in 2,453 Posts

So sorry to hear, this shouldn't of happened. Did you see the photo of the street where she got hit. Did you see the curve. Golf carts have blind spots and glare for sun, that's why you don't walk with flow of traffic in the street AND ESPECIALLY three abreast yanking and NOT aware of your surroundings. Even if you are right by regulations, don't be dead right by not be attentive able to jump out of the way in case vehicle driver don't see you. Even if they do that don't mean their going to stop in time. IMO Of the rules on walking where sidewalks are available She was breaking regulations walking in street with flow of traffic when side walk was available. Nothing going to make it right for her.

I don't think the golf cart driver seen her, otherwise they would of stopped? You can bit$h all you want about golf carts in this golf cart community. there not going away or the dangers that come when vehicles, walkers, bicycling, and any other form of transportation collides. Only you can try to stay safe

Such damn shame people's have to die when it could of been prevented. Yes, by both parties involved.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I did not know that. 100% agree!
Another fact was that she was walking not facing traffic. It was a horrible set of circumstances. Too sad for her, the friends walking on the sidewalk next to her, and for the woman driving the golf cart, whose lives are now changed forever.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:46 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Driver said she was watching the white line and police said she was inattentive. No mention of sun glare. I don’t care which wat she was walking the driver was at fault.

Tags
pedestrian, cart, walking, people, died

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.