Pedestrian Safety in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2015, 06:18 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,094 Times in 374 Posts
Default Pedestrian Safety in The Villages

Many drivers in The Villages are not from Florida and are not aware of Florida Traffic Laws regarding pedestrians.

From the Florida Drivers Handbook Chapter 3 regarding Pedestrians

"It is the motorist's responsibility to do everything possible to avoid colliding with any pedestrians. Bicyclists, skaters and skateboarders in a crosswalk or driveway are considered pedestrians. Turning motorists must yield to pedestrians at intersections with traffic signals. Motorists must yield to pedestrians crossing the street or driveway at any marked mid-block crossing, driveway or intersection without traffic signals."

Too many motorists ignore the pedestrian signs at mid block crosswalks such as on Stillwater just west of Canal at Lake Sumter Landing. If a pedestrian is waiting to cross, you the driver should stop to allow that to happen.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:04 PM

how do I know pedestrians want to cross, do they raise a finger, In my opinion they must indicate that they want to cross. Often they are waiting for another pedestrian, so how do I know? Also be aware that the car behind you may not realize what is happening, and you may get rear ended. Problem is half of them are on cell phones and aren't paying attention to anything.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
how do I know pedestrians want to cross, do they raise a finger, In my opinion they must indicate that they want to cross. Often they are waiting for another pedestrian, so how do I know? Also be aware that the car behind you may not realize what is happening, and you may get rear ended. Problem is half of them are on cell phones and aren't paying attention to anything.

None of these things negate the law. I'd rather explain why I was hit from behind (his fault not mine) than why I ran over a pedestrian.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:07 PM

I agree with you about the crosswalk on Stillwater. The landscaping in that area makes it difficult to see a pedestrian. The bushes need to be removed completely not just trimmed.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
This is the reason I started this post. Too many people do not know the law or come up with this type of response. You are driving in Florida and are responsible for knowing and following the law which may well be the same in most states. You are responsible to stop and allow the person to cross. They do not need to signal. That is why the yellow pedestrian sign is there. Think of it being like being a stop sign. You see it and a pedestrian and you need to stop. It is not a suggestion but the law. Too many people totally ignore and think the pedestrian is wrong.

Would be great to see some newspaper advice to visitors on this type of topic.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Sage

I read somewhere that four locations in Florida are in the top ten most dangerous cities for pedestrians in the U.S. Orlando is the most dangerous city in the country followed by Miami, Tampa, and Jacksonville.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Many drivers in The Villages are not from Florida and are not aware of Florida Traffic Laws regarding pedestrians.

From the Florida Drivers Handbook Chapter 3 regarding Pedestrians

"It is the motorist's responsibility to do everything possible to avoid colliding with any pedestrians. Bicyclists, skaters and skateboarders in a crosswalk or driveway are considered pedestrians. Turning motorists must yield to pedestrians at intersections with traffic signals. Motorists must yield to pedestrians crossing the street or driveway at any marked mid-block crossing, driveway or intersection without traffic signals."

Too many motorists ignore the pedestrian signs at mid block crosswalks such as on Stillwater just west of Canal at Lake Sumter Landing. If a pedestrian is waiting to cross, you the driver should stop to allow that to happen.
I wonder if there are any states that have laws regarding pedestrians that are different from Florida's.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
I read somewhere that four locations in Florida are in the top ten most dangerous cities for pedestrians in the U.S. Orlando is the most dangerous city in the country followed by Miami, Tampa, and Jacksonville.
Is that accidents or gunfights?
Old 02-27-2015, 09:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
I wonder if there are any states that have laws regarding pedestrians that are different from Florida's.
I used to visit Annapolis, Md. and the cars came to a stop whenever a pedestrian stepped in the crosswalk. I was so impressed by that. Can't remember if it was the same in Baltimore, or not. As far as I know, walkers have always been fair game in Texas and Florida, no matter what their laws say.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:21 PM
Gold member

Pedestrian Crossing: 50 State Summary

You have to stop if someone is in the crosswalk, but in some states pedestrians must yield the right-of-way to vehicles when crossing outside of a marked crosswalk or an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/transpo...e-summary.aspx
Old 02-27-2015, 10:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejuca View Post
I agree with you about the crosswalk on Stillwater. The landscaping in that area makes it difficult to see a pedestrian. The bushes need to be removed completely not just trimmed.
There a lot of landscape that needs removed or trimmed all over the villages in intersections and roundabouts. Why would we plant shrub around intersections that blocks vehicles view is beyond me.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:54 PM
Gold member

Shrubs yes but please talk it up with your friends. Get the message out. Stop for pedestrians. Believe it or not it does happen in Massachusetts and if it can happen there any other place should be able to succeed.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Shrubs yes but please talk it up with your friends. Get the message out. Stop for pedestrians. Believe it or not it does happen in Massachusetts and if it can happen there any other place should be able to succeed.
There are no shrubs or any other obstructions on ST.Charles and 99.9% of the autos or carts don't even slow down for a pedestrian at or in the crosswalk.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:58 AM
Gold member

Encouraged that as of 8AM today , about 400 have at least read this post although probably me several times.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:22 PM
Gold member

CarlaB,
I worked in Northern Ca. for 10 yrs and we noticed the same thing. If a pedestrian got close to the crosswalk the traffic hesitated and waited to see if the pedestrian intended to cross. VERY SAFE AND COURTEOUS!

Drivers here act very entitled. They think the auto has the right of way due to size. It is often a bully mentality that I see in the shopping centers and crosswalks.

Drivers are to yield, BY LAW, and as common courtesy. Come on folks! You aren't in that big a hurry!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.