Pedestrian Safety in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
From the Florida Drivers Handbook Chapter 3 regarding Pedestrians

"It is the motorist's responsibility to do everything possible to avoid colliding with any pedestrians. Bicyclists, skaters and skateboarders in a crosswalk or driveway are considered pedestrians. Turning motorists must yield to pedestrians at intersections with traffic signals. Motorists must yield to pedestrians crossing the street or driveway at any marked mid-block crossing, driveway or intersection without traffic signals."
I think most people know that pedestrians have the right of way.
I'm assuming it's an international law .. pedestrians in a cross walk certainly have the right of way in Ontario, Canada.
I think the problem may be attributed to failing eyesight, talking on cell phones, slow reflexes and perhaps, a tad of grouchy.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejuca View Post
I agree with you about the crosswalk on Stillwater. The landscaping in that area makes it difficult to see a pedestrian. The bushes need to be removed completely not just trimmed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I think most people know that pedestrians have the right of way.
I'm assuming it's an international law .. pedestrians in a cross walk certainly have the right of way in Ontario, Canada.
I think the problem may be attributed to failing eyesight, talking on cell phones, slow reflexes and perhaps, a tad of grouchy.

International law??
Old 03-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
International law??
I haven't researched in Europe, but I'm assuming in most civilized countries, pedestrians in cross walks have the right of way?? If you know differently, spit it out.

Last edited by Barefoot; 03-02-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Gold member

The law is the law and as drivers we must obey it.

But I think it's a really bad idea for laws to tell people it's their right to walk out into the street in front of a moving car, bus or truck. As pedestrians we were taught all our lives that you simply do not cross the street when cars are coming.

It's common sense because you never know what the oncoming driver is going to do or not do. I don't count on drivers to avoid hitting me while crossing. I count on myself to keep me safe, by staying on the curb till it's safe to cross, and by not walking in front of moving cars.

I'll cross only if they are stopped or are coming but far enough away that I can make it across safely. IMO the laws should be changed to indicate it's not safe to walk in front of moving vehicles.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:45 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

San Franciscans were well trained to stop when they saw a pedestrian step off a curb whether in a crosswalk or not -- the police ran a campaign announcing the law was to stop and, after a few weeks if warnings, began writing tickets. We learned very quickly to stop, even if the pedestrian was jaywalking (the next campaign was against jaywalking -- it was a bit less successful).

Think the only way to change Florida mentality is to get the police actively involved in enforcing the law. Since I doubt this is going to happen, I'd suggest pedestrians be very careful when crossing streets even the onus should be on the driver.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-01-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Encouraged that as of 8AM today , about 400 have at least read this post although probably me several times.
I think that you have reached some people,while out on our daily walk we stopped at the cross walk on ST.Charles and a South bound car stopped and waved us through ,of course I looked to see if North bound lane was clear and another driver stopped and waved us through,I was amazed and even more amazing the same thing happened on our return at the same crosswalk,all smiles and waves......What a great day to be a Villager
Old 03-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,094 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
The law is the law and as drivers we must obey it.

But I think it's a really bad idea for laws to tell people it's their right to walk out into the street in front of a moving car, bus or truck. As pedestrians we were taught all our lives that you simply do not cross the street when cars are coming.

It's common sense because you never know what the oncoming driver is going to do or not do. I don't count on drivers to avoid hitting me while crossing. I count on myself to keep me safe, by staying on the curb till it's safe to cross, and by not walking in front of moving cars.

I'll cross only if they are stopped or are coming but far enough away that I can make it across safely. IMO the laws should be changed to indicate it's not safe to walk in front of moving vehicles.
There is no suggestion that you have the right to step into the path of a moving car. In fact, I seem to recall that Florida law does not even call it a pedestrian right of way. And it says all parties have an obligation to avoid collisions. But, it still requires the driver to stop.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
There is no suggestion that you have the right to step into the path of a moving car. In fact, I seem to recall that Florida law does not even call it a pedestrian right of way. And it says all parties have an obligation to avoid collisions. But, it still requires the driver to stop.
I disagree! When the law says a driver has to stop for a pedestrian who steps into a crosswalk with a car coming, and the driver is responsible for the pedestrian's safety, it does tell the pedestrian they can walk out in front of a moving vehicle coming at them.

I see pedestrians doing this all the time: they see cars coming and walk into the crosswalk anyway. A couple of times when I have NOT walked out into the unsignalized crosswalk at LSL on the Panera to VanHuesen corner for example, people behind me have said impatiently, "Just GO! The cars have to stop for you!" and they just walk out in front of them. I stay put till it's safe but most people I see around here do not!

See:
Florida Statutes for Drivers
At an unsignalized crosswalk
(Section 316.130 F.S.):
The driver of a vehicle at any crosswalk where a sign so indicates shall stop and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross a roadway when the pedestrian is in the crosswalk or steps into the crosswalk and is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger.

When traffic control signals are not in place or in operation and no sign indicates otherwise, the driver of a vehicle shall yield, slowing down or stopping if need be to so yield, to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger. When a vehicle is stopped at a crosswalk to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass such stopped vehicle.

At a signalized crosswalk (Section 316.075 F.S.):
Drivers must stop before the stop line or, if none marked, the crosswalk or, if none marked, the intersection. (If a crosswalk is present) the driver must remain stopped before the crosswalk to allow a pedestrian, with a permitted signal, to cross a roadway when the pedestrian is in the crosswalk or steps into the crosswalk and is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger….."

http://www.seminolecountyfl.gov/dps/...0the%20Law.pdf

Old 03-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I haven't researched in Europe, but I'm assuming in most civilized countries, pedestrians in cross walks have the right of way?? If you know differently, spit it out.

Wouldn't it be "similiar laws in different countries" rather than Intenational Law?
International would mean they all agreed to one common law.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:28 AM
Gold member
Default I would never "assume" when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Wouldn't it be "similiar laws in different countries" rather than Intenational Law?
International would mean they all agreed to one common law.
it comes to my life...common sense should rule were it still common...alas...it does not...and yes international would mean all agree, but you would still need a list of all countries that are in agreement as some countries are not...
Old 03-02-2015, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
it comes to my life...common sense should rule were it still common...alas...it does not...and yes international would mean all agree, but you would still need a list of all countries that are in agreement as some countries are not...

Common sense is to wait until you see NO cars to cross, at a crosswalk.

Who knows what anybody KNOWS here?

Patience Grasshopper.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Veteran member

On the flip side, if you are a pedestrian, it would behoove you to cross the street only at a crosswalk. I've had numerous people step out from between two vehicles in the middle of a block and then get angry that I don't slam on my brakes to let them cross. Not only is it rude, it's very dangerous! Walk the extra half a block, it's good for you!
Old 03-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Common sense-- you may clearly have the right of way as you put you life in mortal danger.

A car weighs more than a ton and the laws of physics demand that it travel x feet after the brakes are applied. Drivers are of verying skill , and yes many have no business driving, but they are.

Don't tempt fate -walkers, joggers, cyclist etc. You will eventually loose.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:48 AM

Here's two more thoughts. When I used to visit Toronto, a very civilized city, except for the Mayor!, pedestrians would hold up a finger to cross.
My other thought is about shopping plaza/ retail parking lots. I don't mind stopping for pedestrians there, but I wish they would concentrate on hurrying across. So many of them abuse my courtesy. They will dial or text their phones while crossing, or walk diagonally thereby taking twice as long, or they will be straining their necks trying to remember where they parked their car, and tend to do a stutter step when they think they've found it or not. I for one hustle across, it's MY LIFE when I'm a pedestrian. Some of these people think that because they have the right of way they are invincible. I'm probably preaching to the choir!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Gold member

One thing I have notice about pedestrians here in the Villages. Many of them do not even look when they are walking or crossing a street. It always amazes me how anyone other than a child can cross a street and not be looking in each direction! I see it all the time. Of course cars are not suppose to run down pedestrian's but if they don't see you and you are not looking you are going to get run down and injured or killed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.