Pedestrian Safety in The Villages

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-27-2015, 06:18 PM
mtdjed mtdjed is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 815
Thanks: 1
Thanked 441 Times in 109 Posts
Default Pedestrian Safety in The Villages

Many drivers in The Villages are not from Florida and are not aware of Florida Traffic Laws regarding pedestrians.

From the Florida Drivers Handbook Chapter 3 regarding Pedestrians

"It is the motorist's responsibility to do everything possible to avoid colliding with any pedestrians. Bicyclists, skaters and skateboarders in a crosswalk or driveway are considered pedestrians. Turning motorists must yield to pedestrians at intersections with traffic signals. Motorists must yield to pedestrians crossing the street or driveway at any marked mid-block crossing, driveway or intersection without traffic signals."

Too many motorists ignore the pedestrian signs at mid block crosswalks such as on Stillwater just west of Canal at Lake Sumter Landing. If a pedestrian is waiting to cross, you the driver should stop to allow that to happen.
  #2  
Old 02-27-2015, 07:04 PM
capecoralbill capecoralbill is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 300
Thanks: 2
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

how do I know pedestrians want to cross, do they raise a finger, In my opinion they must indicate that they want to cross. Often they are waiting for another pedestrian, so how do I know? Also be aware that the car behind you may not realize what is happening, and you may get rear ended. Problem is half of them are on cell phones and aren't paying attention to anything.
  #3  
Old 02-27-2015, 07:07 PM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
how do I know pedestrians want to cross, do they raise a finger, In my opinion they must indicate that they want to cross. Often they are waiting for another pedestrian, so how do I know? Also be aware that the car behind you may not realize what is happening, and you may get rear ended. Problem is half of them are on cell phones and aren't paying attention to anything.

None of these things negate the law. I'd rather explain why I was hit from behind (his fault not mine) than why I ran over a pedestrian.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
  #4  
Old 02-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Jejuca Jejuca is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I agree with you about the crosswalk on Stillwater. The landscaping in that area makes it difficult to see a pedestrian. The bushes need to be removed completely not just trimmed.
  #5  
Old 02-27-2015, 08:40 PM
mtdjed mtdjed is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 815
Thanks: 1
Thanked 441 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
how do I know pedestrians want to cross, do they raise a finger, In my opinion they must indicate that they want to cross. Often they are waiting for another pedestrian, so how do I know? Also be aware that the car behind you may not realize what is happening, and you may get rear ended. Problem is half of them are on cell phones and aren't paying attention to anything.
This is the reason I started this post. Too many people do not know the law or come up with this type of response. You are driving in Florida and are responsible for knowing and following the law which may well be the same in most states. You are responsible to stop and allow the person to cross. They do not need to signal. That is why the yellow pedestrian sign is there. Think of it being like being a stop sign. You see it and a pedestrian and you need to stop. It is not a suggestion but the law. Too many people totally ignore and think the pedestrian is wrong.

Would be great to see some newspaper advice to visitors on this type of topic.
  #6  
Old 02-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Carla B Carla B is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,364
Thanks: 27
Thanked 410 Times in 203 Posts
Default

I read somewhere that four locations in Florida are in the top ten most dangerous cities for pedestrians in the U.S. Orlando is the most dangerous city in the country followed by Miami, Tampa, and Jacksonville.
  #7  
Old 02-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Average Guy Average Guy is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 350
Thanks: 10
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Many drivers in The Villages are not from Florida and are not aware of Florida Traffic Laws regarding pedestrians.

From the Florida Drivers Handbook Chapter 3 regarding Pedestrians

"It is the motorist's responsibility to do everything possible to avoid colliding with any pedestrians. Bicyclists, skaters and skateboarders in a crosswalk or driveway are considered pedestrians. Turning motorists must yield to pedestrians at intersections with traffic signals. Motorists must yield to pedestrians crossing the street or driveway at any marked mid-block crossing, driveway or intersection without traffic signals."

Too many motorists ignore the pedestrian signs at mid block crosswalks such as on Stillwater just west of Canal at Lake Sumter Landing. If a pedestrian is waiting to cross, you the driver should stop to allow that to happen.
I wonder if there are any states that have laws regarding pedestrians that are different from Florida's.
  #8  
Old 02-27-2015, 09:19 PM
buzzy buzzy is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,090
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
I read somewhere that four locations in Florida are in the top ten most dangerous cities for pedestrians in the U.S. Orlando is the most dangerous city in the country followed by Miami, Tampa, and Jacksonville.
Is that accidents or gunfights?
  #9  
Old 02-27-2015, 09:29 PM
Carla B Carla B is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,364
Thanks: 27
Thanked 410 Times in 203 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
I wonder if there are any states that have laws regarding pedestrians that are different from Florida's.
I used to visit Annapolis, Md. and the cars came to a stop whenever a pedestrian stepped in the crosswalk. I was so impressed by that. Can't remember if it was the same in Baltimore, or not. As far as I know, walkers have always been fair game in Texas and Florida, no matter what their laws say.
  #10  
Old 02-27-2015, 10:21 PM
obxgal's Avatar
obxgal obxgal is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Villages
Posts: 1,137
Thanks: 107
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Pedestrian Crossing: 50 State Summary

You have to stop if someone is in the crosswalk, but in some states pedestrians must yield the right-of-way to vehicles when crossing outside of a marked crosswalk or an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/transpo...e-summary.aspx
__________________
North of Pgh and OBX
  #11  
Old 02-27-2015, 10:38 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 7,912
Thanks: 3,705
Thanked 2,435 Times in 1,140 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejuca View Post
I agree with you about the crosswalk on Stillwater. The landscaping in that area makes it difficult to see a pedestrian. The bushes need to be removed completely not just trimmed.
There a lot of landscape that needs removed or trimmed all over the villages in intersections and roundabouts. Why would we plant shrub around intersections that blocks vehicles view is beyond me.
  #12  
Old 02-27-2015, 10:54 PM
mtdjed mtdjed is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 815
Thanks: 1
Thanked 441 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Shrubs yes but please talk it up with your friends. Get the message out. Stop for pedestrians. Believe it or not it does happen in Massachusetts and if it can happen there any other place should be able to succeed.
  #13  
Old 02-27-2015, 11:48 PM
handyman handyman is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: the villages
Posts: 203
Thanks: 15
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Shrubs yes but please talk it up with your friends. Get the message out. Stop for pedestrians. Believe it or not it does happen in Massachusetts and if it can happen there any other place should be able to succeed.
There are no shrubs or any other obstructions on ST.Charles and 99.9% of the autos or carts don't even slow down for a pedestrian at or in the crosswalk.
  #14  
Old 02-28-2015, 07:58 AM
mtdjed mtdjed is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 815
Thanks: 1
Thanked 441 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Encouraged that as of 8AM today , about 400 have at least read this post although probably me several times.
  #15  
Old 03-01-2015, 05:22 PM
dotti105's Avatar
dotti105 dotti105 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Village of Gilchrist, fulltime
Posts: 1,088
Thanks: 86
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

CarlaB,
I worked in Northern Ca. for 10 yrs and we noticed the same thing. If a pedestrian got close to the crosswalk the traffic hesitated and waited to see if the pedestrian intended to cross. VERY SAFE AND COURTEOUS!

Drivers here act very entitled. They think the auto has the right of way due to size. It is often a bully mentality that I see in the shopping centers and crosswalks.

Drivers are to yield, BY LAW, and as common courtesy. Come on folks! You aren't in that big a hurry!
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.