Pedestrian Traffic on Multi-Modal Paths in Southern Region of Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2020, 07:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
The only exception I would make is walking the golf cart bridge over 441. I would walk with traffic going up and against going down.

Steve
I would never walk across that bridge...very dangerous and narrow
Old 03-31-2020, 07:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
You walk on the left side facing the traffic, that way you can see what’s coming at you and get out of the way if necessary. I would never walk with my back to oncoming traffic and assume people passing me will do so safely. Especially with electric carts that I can’t hear coming until it would be too late.
I have often been tempted to ask people who are walking in the same direction as traffic if they grew up in a city that had sidewalks everywhere. I did but I remember being taught at a very young age to always walk against traffic if you are in the country and there are no sidewalks.

Here is a real life incentive for you to walk against traffic. Just this afternoon, I was walking in the MMP lane on Rio Grande against traffic. Perfectly clear, beautiful day. I saw a golf cart about a quarter mile away coming towards me. I moved over all the way to the left against the curb even though there was no traffic on the road at all and the golf cart could easily go around me by going in the road. I was wearing red workout shorts and a lime green shirt and I am not a small guy. This guy just kept driving straight toward me. When he got about 20 yards from me I started clapping my hands and yelling at him, he kept coming so I jumped up onto the grass. Finally, when he was maybe 10 feet from me he finally noticed me and swerved into the street. If I had been walking with traffic, I wouldn't have seen this guy coming up from behind and would not have warned him. There is a good possibility he would have run me over.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:03 PM

As stated above, walking facing traffic is the safest choice.

Btw, when riding your bike, riding w/traffic is the safer choice. In that case, the bigger danger is people making right turns onto the roadway you are traveling from side streets. By habit, drivers entering a road and making a right turn will look for traffic coming from their left... if you are riding against traffic, they frequently will not look for/see you approaching them from their right (riding against traffic). Often with fatal consequences.
-Tom Robbins
Old 03-31-2020, 10:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andercat View Post
I have been taking a morning walk each day since activities have stopped. Most people walk facing traffic. One couple with their dog was walking with traffic. As I approached them, I mentioned that walking against traffic was considered to be safer. They told me that their dog decided what side of the street to walk. Another couple with a dog was walking again with traffic. I didn't say anything to them. They volunteered that they knew they were walking on the wrong side of the road but walked where their dog led them. I thought people had higher IQ's than dogs. Evidently I was wrong.
Some dogs are stubborn and leader of the pack,
Old 03-31-2020, 10:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoKid View Post
As stated above, walking facing traffic is the safest choice.

Btw, when riding your bike, riding w/traffic is the safer choice. In that case, the bigger danger is people making right turns onto the roadway you are traveling from side streets. By habit, drivers entering a road and making a right turn will look for traffic coming from their left... if you are riding against traffic, they frequently will not look for/see you approaching them from their right (riding against traffic). Often with fatal consequences.
And be ready to step off onto grass for you’re own safety, you don’t want to be dead right.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
I would never walk across that bridge...very dangerous and narrow
Especially when carts come off top!
Old 04-01-2020, 05:38 AM

You must also drive on the left side of roads and highways.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:40 AM

You probably are.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:43 AM

I always walk facing traffic. That way I can look the driver who is going to wipe me out in the eye.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:03 AM
Default Walk towards traffic.

Yep, First grade, is where they taught this, in the US and in UK.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:06 AM

Always walk on the left, towards traffic. Always!!!!! It's Florida law. You can look it up. I did. You need to see what is coming towards you so you can get out of the way if it becomes obvious the car doesn't see you. Just hearing the car behind you does not tell you if it is about to run you over. I learned this as a child. It is so much safer to see what it coming towards you. Bikes travel with traffic. Pedestrians walk against traffic!!
Old 04-01-2020, 06:39 AM
Sage

Very few walkers adhere to the sidewalk rules, how can a herd of walkers carry on their conversations if they're not alongside each other(about a year ago a woman was killed doing the same thing)--viewed three women walking in total darkness this morning on Tamarind Grove Run, two were on the road one was on the sidewalk, a plus for them, they were lit up like a Christmas tree--I was driving to my mail box
Old 04-01-2020, 06:45 AM

The video you are referencing is from the VHA. It is for safety and training purposes and they got it wrong. The VHA needs to hear from all of us. Walking on the right with your back toward traffic is for those who have a death wish. Showing that on a safety video is unacceptable.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:52 AM
Sage

The woman who was killed had her back to traffic and was hit by a golf cart
Old 04-01-2020, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

always face the traffic...why is this even a question

I find it odd that walkers sometimes seem to take an 'entitled' attitude and fearlessly try to demonstrate that they have the right of way

dumb....car, truck, cart, tractor, bike, whatever coming at ya...jump the heck out of the way and live to talk about it

otherwise you may have been in the right, but you'll be dead right
Closed Thread

Tags
traffic, multi-modal, walking, pedestrians, portion

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.