Pedestrian Traffic on Multi-Modal Paths in Southern Region of Villages

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2020, 07:09 AM

No,no,no when walking always go against the traffic. Remember some carts are electric and very quiet as are bicycles. If you don’t hear the vehicle how can to avoid it? We were taught at a young age ,if no sidewalk is available always walk against the traffic for safety
Old 04-01-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
The only exception I would make is walking the golf cart bridge over 441. I would walk with traffic going up and against going down.

Steve
I'd hitch a ride!
Old 04-01-2020, 07:16 AM
Location: Chicago area but spend a month every year in The Villages

In the Chicago area, we walk with the traffic at our back. Down here, people walk with the traffic facing them and coming at them, which is a much better idea, frankly. That way you can see the traffic coming toward you.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:20 AM

Walkers and joggers always move against cart flow. Dont count on cart drivers seeing you, because some wont and they will run right over you.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:25 AM

Walking on the left, facing traffic is not a matter of opinion or choice (or your dog’s choice). It is Florida Law.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I think it was the first grade, "walk on left facing traffic". Some have just forgot...…...
I skipped first grade
Old 04-01-2020, 07:40 AM

In my first year in TV, I was walking on the multi-modal path on the right side. Up north, along bike/ped trails, the rule of the National Park Service is to walk on the right. So,that is what I was doing. A fellow walker on the opposite side of the multi-modal stopped me and she suggested I walk facing traffic. She used a very good example. She pointed out that many of the cart drivers in TV are old and may not see that well. Indeed, some may have lost their driving privileges because of their vision. She simply asked, "Would you really rather see such a driver coming to you....or would you like to hear a cart slide up behind you when it slams on its brakes just before hitting you?" Her point was well taken and is the same direction we had as kids: Walk against traffic! Shame on the National Park Service!
Old 04-01-2020, 07:52 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKoca View Post
In the Chicago area, we walk with the traffic at our back. Down here, people walk with the traffic facing them and coming at them, which is a much better idea, frankly. That way you can see the traffic coming toward you.
Are they trying to reduce the population?
Old 04-01-2020, 07:54 AM
Default Pedestrian Traffic on Multi-Modal Paths in Southern Region of VillagesReply to Thread

Here's a twist to consider.

I run on the MMP daily. I always run facing oncoming traffic. I've observed a lot of cart driver behaviors while out there. Here are couple of suggestions for safety and enjoyment of all...

1.) I suggest that the distance allowed for runners/walkers should be the same as for passing a biker - 3 feet. I very much appreciate when carts allow a lot of room when passing, and when they do I smile and wave my thanks.

2.) Often carts expect runners/walkers to get completely off the MMP. Please, please don't force a runner/walker into the grass. It is VERY difficult for a runner/walker to get all the way to the edge of the MMP BECAUSE the concrete and the bituminous are at different levels and the concrete is too narrow for two foot plant. It is also VERY difficult to run in the grass. These are trip hazards, and at our age, we have to limit those as much as possible.

3.) I have noticed that in the DIVIDED areas of the MMP (one way sections), carts are reluctant to move to the inside (high curb side) for fear of hitting the curb. I often switch sides of THAT one way lane, still facing traffic, in these areas so that I am running nearest the raised curb, on the driver side of the road. I have found drivers are more willing to increase the space as they pass me.
Yes, I have gotten a few strange looks when I do this, but also get a lot more room when being passed. Again, I ONLY do this on the DIVIDED parts of the MMP.

4.) With the social distancing rule of 6 feet, when I meet another runner/walker on a sidewalk, one of us will usually move either stepping into the road in the cart lane, or if possible onto the grass. The one facing traffic should be the one to step into the cart lane if no cart is coming, then return to the sidewalk ASAP.

I will say that for the most part cart drivers are pleasant and considerate.

Let's all stay safe and be kind to one another!

Thanks!

Last edited by runkcrun; 04-01-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:59 AM
theruizs

We had tried walking the multi-modal paths but decided to just stick to sidewalks. Having to cross the street a few times to keep going just felt safer than the mm paths. Even walking against traffic on them felt dangerous to us. It was clear that many cart drivers were really annoyed when they came upon us, and we found ourselves stepping off the path often to let the cart pass. Plus we could rarely walk next to each other to talk comfortably. We would NEVER walk those paths on the right, that’s just a death wish.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andercat View Post
I have been taking a morning walk each day since activities have stopped. Most people walk facing traffic. One couple with their dog was walking with traffic. As I approached them, I mentioned that walking against traffic was considered to be safer. They told me that their dog decided what side of the street to walk. Another couple with a dog was walking again with traffic. I didn't say anything to them. They volunteered that they knew they were walking on the wrong side of the road but walked where their dog led them. I thought people had higher IQ's than dogs. Evidently I was wrong.
So, the dog was walking its people.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group2100 View Post
I have a question about pedestrians walking on the multi-modal paths. Specifically, in which direction should they walk - against vehicular traffic or in the same direction as vehicular traffic?

I ask the question because while watching the portion of the Golf Cart Safety Video on the VHA website, it shows pedestrians walking in both directions - one with pedestrians facing oncoming golf carts and the other shows a couple walking with their backs towards approaching vehicular traffic (see attached screen shot).

I realize that the ideal answer would be to walk within neighborhood streets or on pedestrian trails, but there is a large portion of the multi-modal path running along the turnpike with limited numbers of carts for now. However, there are a large number of bicycles along that portion of the multi-modal path. I would rather walk towards oncoming traffic so I can see the hazard rather than have approaching from behind.

Thanks in advance.
I walk 5.5 miles per day on the multi modals. I've been doing that for five years. Always walk against traffic. I have been brushed by more golf carts than I can count. The worst time is when snowbirds are around. They believe the multi modals are golf cart expressways and apparently many can't see past the windshields. NEVER let them approach from behind. I used to carry a 2 iron to swing at carts that approach too close. Now I just scream at the unsafe drivers.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:24 AM
Sage

If they have lost their driving privileges, it also applies to golf carts--the exact term, is shall not operate any motorized vehicle
Old 04-01-2020, 08:29 AM

From the Boy Scouts: Generally Facing traffic.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:34 AM

Always walk against traffic either on roadway or multi media road. That way you can see what is coming at you. Stay safe.
Closed Thread

Tags
traffic, multi-modal, walking, pedestrians, portion

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.