Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
I skipped first grade
////////
No, decided I wouldn't......
Old 04-01-2020, 08:44 AM
Veteran member

dogs are often trained to walk on one side of the person. My dog is trained to walk on my right side which makes it easier for her to step into the grass when needed. I have never walked her on multimodal paths until moving to TV so walking on the right side of the sidewalk was best for pedestrian flow. It’s also easier to move out of the way cause the dog is moving off the path and the person can stay on the edge. And it’s good because I have me between my dog and a passing dog which gives me more control in keeping her mind on the walk and not the dog. Having said that, when my path changes to include golf carts I do switch to the left side of the path with my dog still on my right. It’s not as convenient, but safer.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:49 AM

Grew up learning to walk facing traffic. That way you know what’s approaching and you can get out of the way if necessary. Seems important for you to be in charge and responsible for keeping yourself safe.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:49 AM

The correct way to walk on the streets or multi modal paths is for the walkers to always walk toward traffic. This way they can see the vehicles and if need be get out of the way. It also allows walkers and drivers to make eye contact. It’s very dangerous to have your back to traffic and not being able to see what’s coming toward you.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:23 AM

This thread sort of provides a clue as to why we as humans find it hard to agree on anything, even in a case of National emergency. I thought that the answer to this question was so blatantly obvious that it was kindergarten stuff but reading some of these responses it is equally obvious that I may be wrong !
As for dogs doing the deciding -- what planet did these folks come from ?
Enjoy this wonderful day folks,
Old 04-01-2020, 10:31 AM

Walking toward oncoming traffic is safest for pedestrians. Gives you a chance to jump out of the way of an out of control driver with a medical issue which has happened several times here in TV.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

For those who walk with your back to the traffic, don't forget to bring along your telephone.

The Villages Florida
Old 04-01-2020, 11:11 AM

Walk on the sidewalk if there is one, joggers too ...Dont make Carts on the roads swerve to avoid you. Walk against traffic on modal paths STEP ASIDE on wide curves, carts cannot see round corners. Many near misses.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:39 PM
Default R or l

Quote:
Originally Posted by mills3186 View Post
It's just like driving a car. Stay to the right. 95% of the people do this, it's dangerous to walk against the flow onto incoming pedestrian, bike and golf car traffic.
When I ride my bike, I go WITH the traffic. When I walk I go to the side of the street that FACES oncoming traffic. It's a lot easier to jump out of the way of a cart/ car/truck in front of you than to turn around just in time to see them hitting you from behind.

When there is only one path you can walk on, a multi modal is iffy at best.
Peace Out
Old 04-01-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We live in Osceola Hills and often drive down to Marsh Bend to walk the trail around Hogeye.

Along the part that goes along the MMP, we always walk facing the golf cart traffic.

The rest of the trail is for walkers, runners, and bikers only. They used to have these flimsy poles to show that carts were not supposed to be on these trails, but some of the inconsiderate cart riders would drive on them anyway. As a result, the management had to install some very substantial poles and large rocks to make it almost impossible for carts to go on these trails. Good!
See? this is an example of the Powers that Be interfering with out freedom. AND THAT'S WHAT SOMETIMES HAS TO BE DONE FOR OUR SAFETY!
Peace Out
Old 04-01-2020, 02:34 PM

Always walk facing traffic Always ride your bike with traffic
Old 04-01-2020, 02:55 PM
Default Thanks for the feedback

I want to thank all of you that replied to my question on the best direction for pedestrian traffic on multi-modal paths (MMP). I posed the question because my wife and I were enjoying a walk along the Hogeye Preserve multi-modal path late Tuesday morning. We started out from the Everglades Recreation Center and walked westbound to the spot where the new bridge will span the turnpike. It was a lovely walk and we exchanged pleasantries (from a safe distance) with many friendly Villagers. As we turned to walk back, a woman walking with her husband pointed to my wife and asked in a hostile tone, "Do you LIKE walking on the wrong side??"

My wife was taken aback and replied we were walking against motorized traffic. The woman bitterly replied, "That's not how we do it here! You don't know the law!" We kept walking back to our car. I am aware of the Florida laws in relation to pedestrian traffic but I wanted to check to be sure we were not in violation of any Villages rules or regulations.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group2100 View Post
I want to thank all of you that replied to my question on the best direction for pedestrian traffic on multi-modal paths (MMP). I posed the question because my wife and I were enjoying a walk along the Hogeye Preserve multi-modal path late Tuesday morning. We started out from the Everglades Recreation Center and walked westbound to the spot where the new bridge will span the turnpike. It was a lovely walk and we exchanged pleasantries (from a safe distance) with many friendly Villagers. As we turned to walk back, a woman walking with her husband pointed to my wife and asked in a hostile tone, "Do you LIKE walking on the wrong side??"

My wife was taken aback and replied we were walking against motorized traffic. The woman bitterly replied, "That's not how we do it here! You don't know the law!" We kept walking back to our car. I am aware of the Florida laws in relation to pedestrian traffic but I wanted to check to be sure we were not in violation of any Villages rules or regulations.

Thanks for the feedback.
I think there are some psychotic individuals even in TV. I never try to reason or disagree with one. Not safe.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I think there are some psychotic individuals even in TV. I never try to reason or disagree with one. Not safe.
Read the previous posts,,,,,,some even post on here.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

From an individual (me) that worked many accidents, always against traffic; they’ve got to have some kind of death wish to walk the same direction as traffic.

Tags
traffic, multi-modal, walking, pedestrians, portion

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.