Pellet Grill Smoker

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2020, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmount View Post
Yes, bring it! I use my Traeger at least 5 times a week on my unscreened patio outside my lanai. Sometimes for short -1 -2 hrs or brisket all night, seems to attract more hungry neighbors than love bugs! From bacon in morning to meat at night and yes a few invites during the year to my great neighbors and all is well. Bring some recipes to share also!
When you do a brisket are you doing a small one? I occasionally see 2-3 pounders in the grocery but I'm curious where I can get larger 4-15lb briskets around TV. I have a meat market up north that can get anything. I also don't have a smoker down here, but I will soon enough.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:37 AM

Definitely bring it. We brought ours and use it almost daily. Rural king is a great place to buy the pellets. Largest assortment we’ve seen locally. Also publix & SAMs can get larger cuts of meat if needed.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
When you do a brisket are you doing a small one? I occasionally see 2-3 pounders in the grocery but I'm curious where I can get larger 4-15lb briskets around TV. I have a meat market up north that can get anything. I also don't have a smoker down here, but I will soon enough.
The BBQ/smoker club covers who has the best cuts as an agenda item, they try to arrange group discounts.

I have seen the briskets that size at Costco. It is a drive that I do once a month or so.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
You can get larger cuts of meat at Wildwood meat market on 301 Near the City Hall.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:00 AM
Default smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnafix View Post
Plans are to retire in a couple of years. We are having the what to leave and what to bring to The Villages. We have a pellet grill smoker that we occasionally use for things like beef or pork tenderloins. The thing is - sometimes I'll put large pork butt on it and smoke it for 12 hours (1a to 1p) . We live in a rural area now and that applewood smoke and pork smell will get your attention in the wee hours of the morning. Are smoker grills frowned upon in The Villages? Do you know of people using them? Can I use it in my driveway instead of backyard? I have thought about contacting a villages Smoker Grill Club but I didn't think it appropriate due to we don't currently live there yet. Thank's in advance for any insight.

Personally I am not a BBQ fan. I like steak but I wouldn't want to smell it for hours on end. And would definitely NOT want a neighbor who grills like that. If anyone wants to know what it would smell like take a ride over to Oakwood Express and park in the back lot. Whiff away!
Old 06-16-2020, 07:00 AM

Bring it...smoke it! I use mine frequently
Old 06-16-2020, 07:03 AM

Love smoked meat
Old 06-16-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I have only done the full packer ones with the point and flat, out it on at 11:00pm and done about 4-5 next afternoon. Sams, sometimes the local grocery store or online
Old 06-16-2020, 07:22 AM

I discovered the love bug issue when smoking as well - but my Camp Chef is inside the birdcage, so it didn’t impact the cook. Once I was done, they left.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:46 AM

We have been meaning to check out the Villages' Smoking club, but to date have been unable to do! But we have had a RecTec smoker for the past 3 years and use it every 2-3 months or so for butts, ribs, brisket and other meats. Just finished off a TriTip (poor man's brisket) that we got at Sams' Club and in 2 hours it's just as good (In our humble opinion) as a 12-14 hr brisket. Bring down your smoker and enjoy! My neighbors know when we're smoking because the environs around our place are heavenly scented with apple, hickory, pecan and other woods. No complaints to date, especially when you take them bits of the treasured meats. Love it!!!!!

Last edited by GypsyRN; 06-16-2020 at 07:47 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga.dawg View Post
Bring it, lots of smokers in The Villages , I have a green egg use it all the time.
Just a little request. If an animal does happen to knock over your Big Green Egg kindly let me know. I'll be packing and moving as quickly as possible! That would have to be a really big animal!
Old 06-16-2020, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiragirl View Post
Personally I am not a BBQ fan. I like steak but I wouldn't want to smell it for hours on end. And would definitely NOT want a neighbor who grills like that. If anyone wants to know what it would smell like take a ride over to Oakwood Express and park in the back lot. Whiff away!
It's really nothinga all like Oakwood. They are burning hundreds of times more wood than a backyard BBQ would. It's like comparing a house burning down to a campfire. Also pellet grills generate a lot less and much more controlled smoke than a stick burner (which is both bad and good depending on what you like).
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:34 AM

What time will it be ready? Lol
Old 06-16-2020, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,496 Posts
Default Love smoked meat, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe & kathy View Post
Love smoked meat
I love smoked meat and fish. After surviving cancer, I was strongly advised by my oncologist to avoid smoke of any kind as if my life depended on it. Even candles which my wife loved had to go. My bbq hasn't been used in several years, I am sad to say. I avoid campfires in campgrounds like the plague. And the way so many of the houses here sit lanai to lanai it would be a real test of tolerance to have a smoker wafting from one home into anothers for hours on end. Once I used to love it, but now it can be a severe health hazard to others. My advice is to check with your neighbors before firing up the smoker.
Just another point of view.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:58 PM

Myself and several neighbors have smokers and no one has complained. I’ll do my butts overnight for 12+ hrs with no complaints or problems. I do this on a patio off of my lanai.
Closed Thread

Tags
smoker, pork, grill, villages, smoke

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.