People putting Christmas lights on my exterior light post.

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2019, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Since OP is normally not here on holidays, they would have no idea. For me it’s about the broken light. If the CYVs decorate during holidays, and while putting up the lights, broke the lamp they should have notified the owner. Apologized, and offered to fix it. Op stated all post of all houses except for 2 had lights. The lights are not the problem as much as they broke her light, which may not be able to be replaced as original.

We had a neighbor at our first house that didn’t like the way our bushes were trimmed by our lawn guy. (He did a step down cut that we loved) she however didn’t like it, had her guy come and trim our bushes, and sent us a bill.
You can’t make this stuff up. We called the guy asked why he was cutting our bushes. We then informed him we were not paying him, he apologized and was told we wanted to hire him per this neighbor.
People need to ask or explain before they do something to someone else's property
or there will be at the very least, hard feelings..

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-14-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Where were the lights plugged into? For the lights to operate they require an electric receptacle. On a CYV the only receptacle is on the front porch, which is across the driveway at least 30' from your lampost and you would have to drive over the cord.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Where were the lights plugged into? For the lights to operate they require an electric receptacle. On a CYV the only receptacle is on the front porch, which is across the driveway at least 30' from your lampost and you would have to drive over the cord.
Two outlets located at the bottom of the post.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I read through all the posts to see if this was mentioned before I asked, and didn't see that, must of missed it. That would have to be an after-market installation because the lamposts don't come that way.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Since OP is normally not here on holidays, they would have no idea. For me it’s about the broken light. If the CYVs decorate during holidays, and while putting up the lights, broke the lamp they should have notified the owner. Apologized, and offered to fix it. Op stated all post of all houses except for 2 had lights. The lights are not the problem as much as they broke her light, which may not be able to be replaced as original.

We had a neighbor at our first house that didn’t like the way our bushes were trimmed by our lawn guy. (He did a step down cut that we loved) she however didn’t like it, had her guy come and trim our bushes, and sent us a bill.
You can’t make this stuff up. We called the guy asked why he was cutting our bushes. We then informed him we were not paying him, he apologized and was told we wanted to hire him per this neighbor.
We don't know that an attempt was not made. It is becoming clear to me that the OP has no contact with his neighbors, and does not appear to want any.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Or maybe take off the cover unscrew the bulb and use one of those bulb socket adapters with a couple outlets on it which might possibly explain how it got broken ???
Old 12-13-2019, 10:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Same thing happened to us but we didn't get the bill.

My husband takes great pride in our landscaping and trims all bushes himself. It is possible that some branches may have been past our property line by a few inches, but still. People need to ask or explain before they do something to someone else's property
or there will be at the very least, hard feelings..
The crazy lady as she was name by others, lived 3 doors down. If she didn’t like it she called people to fix it, and then had the bill sent to owners. She had the house next door power washed, because the owners were using the wrong company. So the name fits. She still lives there, but everyone 4 houses each side sold within 4 years.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I read through all the posts to see if this was mentioned before I asked, and didn't see that, must of missed it. That would have to be an after-market installation because the lamposts don't come that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Or maybe take off the cover unscrew the bulb and use one of those bulb socket adapters with a couple outlets on it which might possibly explain how it got broken ???
Every post in my CYV neighborhood came with two outlets. One switches with the light, the other always on. Maybe only south of 466?
Old 12-14-2019, 05:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I doubt we will ever know exactly how this happened, but hopefully those who didn't ask permission and decorated someone's pole lamp have read this thread.

And maybe not.

Many people who forge ahead thinking that they are right and can overstep boundaries are not swayed by anything but (I can't spell this) Hoots-pah.

The opposite of which is caring and thinking of others.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
We don't know that an attempt was not made. It is becoming clear to me that the OP has no contact with his neighbors, and does not appear to want any.
Sorry, but when an OP asks for advice why do we always assume it’s not the whole story, or if you don’t have contact with your neighbors, why is that such a problem for posters on this forum. Looks like OP has chosen not to respond, may be due to some of the unkindly posts.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Sorry, but when an OP asks for advice why do we always assume it’s not the whole story, or if you don’t have contact with your neighbors, why is that such a problem for posters on this forum. Looks like OP has chosen not to respond, may be due to some of the unkindly posts.
I just re-read the original post. There was no asking for advice. It was an airing of anger. He typed away before even trying to find out what happened. So, yea - There is most likely more to the story.

Advice was given by others (including me) that he should talk to his neighbors. He said that all the posts on his street, except two, were done. Would that not prompt a reasonable person to ask a neighbor? Especially considering that this is his first holiday in this home.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:05 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Given what’s been said so far, sounds like the block lights their poles. Since the OP is usually not there at Xmas, odds are lights had been placed on his pole previously. While it is trespassing, I doubt any harm was meant and I’m sure the culprit honestly thought s/he was doing the right thing. However, breaking the cover and not offering to repair or replace it is inexcusable.

As was suggested, talk to your neighbors. I’m sure someone knows who the community decorator is. Then, you can go to that person, thank them for putting on the lights and let them know the cost of repairing the cover.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-14-2019, 09:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Every post in my CYV neighborhood came with two outlets. One switches with the light, the other always on. Maybe only south of 466?
I see Pike Electric ads in the Sun for installing those outlets in posts. Our CYV's were built in 2011 near Sterling Hgts Rec Center off St. Charles and the only outlet on our homes are on the front porch. Maybe that's why they broke the cover, to remove a bulb and install some sort of temporary outlet, just a guess.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Platinum member
Default Caution

A neighbor in close proximity had a palm tree removed from their front yard WITHOUT their permission. A couple of guys in a white truck (no markings) showed up claiming to be "arborists of The Villages and were taking out diseased palm trees per orders". When asked, they could not furnish documentation or show/tell him what disease. The home owner told them "no" and went inside to call about it. (Don't know who he was calling.) When he came back out, they had already cut the tree down, loaded it onto their truck, and attempted to collect money. He had his cell phone with him this time, took photos, and proceeded to call the sheriff. They took off. One of the selling points for his buying that particular house was the tree. I am anxious to find out if this does not fall under criminal trespass and criminal destruction of property.

For this reason, I don't doubt this story. Stuff is happening. People are not supposed to do things to another's property without permission or invitation. Trespassing and damaging are unacceptable. If a tree on your property hangs over the property line of another's property, they can cut/trim up to the property line and straight up to infinity and be within the law. They cannot do whatever is on your side without permission.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 12-14-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
A neighbor in close proximity had a palm tree removed from their front yard WITHOUT their permission. A couple of guys in a white truck (no markings) showed up claiming to be "arborists of The Villages and were taking out diseased palm trees per orders". When asked, they could not furnish documentation or show/tell him what disease. The home owner told them "no" and went inside to call about it. (Don't know who he was calling.) When he came back out, they had already cut the tree down, loaded it onto their truck, and attempted to collect money. He had his cell phone with him this time, took photos, and proceeded to call the sheriff. They took off. One of the selling points for his buying that particular house was the tree. I am anxious to find out if this does not fall under criminal trespass and criminal destruction of property.

For this reason, I don't doubt this story. Stuff is happening. People are not supposed to do things to another's property without permission or invitation. Trespassing and damaging are unacceptable. If a tree on your property hangs over the property line of another's property, they can cut/trim up to the property line and straight up to infinity and be within the law. They cannot do whatever is on your side without permission.
Oh, that's horrible!
I agree and feel for the OP as well. Bottom line it is trespassing and vandalism. If I was in the OP's position, I would remove the lights, get my lamp cover fixed, and wait and see if someone came back to claim them. Some of us highly value our right to privacy and others don't respect that.
Why should the OP have to go to all the neighbors to try and find out who is behind it? I certainly wouldn't either in this case, and if it was me, I'd probably even put a little no trespassing sign on my lamp post. LOL
But I am lucky; I have awesome neighbors.
Closed Thread

Tags
light, post, christmas, put, property

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.