People putting Christmas lights on my exterior light post.

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2019, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Sorry, but when an OP asks for advice why do we always assume it’s not the whole story, or if you don’t have contact with your neighbors, why is that such a problem for posters on this forum. Looks like OP has chosen not to respond, may be due to some of the unkindly posts.
He started the thread and that usually means input is expected. You will always get some positive and some negative in any anonymous on line discussion. I still would like to know what kind of decorations and who busted his pole lamp. I am sure they didn't mean to and I wonder if it was busted or set askew or what...and that is simply because many of us are curious. And some are not.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:36 PM
Gold member

Does everyone on your street have the same or similar decorations on their light posts? Some streets like to have everyone match and do something like everyone has to have colored light bulbs in their yard llight. If others have it, maybe you weren't home when they asked about it and maybe the person putting the decorations up thought everyone had been asked. Hopefully, they have gone to see about purchasing you a new light post cover.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post
There is nothing more to the story I came home from the store and Christmas lights were plugged into my light post and the broken light cover was left on the front lawn. It seems they put these lights on everyone’s light post on my block except for 2 houses.
They did all that and no one saw who they are?

I don't think anyone will come for them.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:08 PM

My CYV group does this every year (except for breaking lights). It's done to cheer up the whole neighborhood for the holiday season. No one is sneaking around putting lights on people's houses. Go next door and speak to your neighbor. You'll get all the answers you need. Except for the broken light.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

///

Last edited by coffeebean; 12-14-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
The crazy lady as she was name by others, lived 3 doors down. If she didn’t like it she called people to fix it, and then had the bill sent to owners. She had the house next door power washed, because the owners were using the wrong company. So the name fits. She still lives there, but everyone 4 houses each side sold within 4 years.
Isn't this grounds to call the police? I can not believe what I'm reading here.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:53 PM

Thanks for all the input some neighbors said it’s just a group of people who live somewhere on the block but didn’t know where any of them live. It’s not a huge deal but as mentioned the light post only accepts a light bulb so they had to put in an adapter so it will accept a light bulb and a source for a plug. In putting in these lights they had to remove one of the glass panels for the Christmas lights plug so the light and plug itself is exposed to the rain. Also when the light post cover was left on the lawn it was raining out some the light fixture was exposed to the rain and got all wet. As we know electricity and water doesn’t mix and you run the risk of shorting the outlet. Of course the screws securing the light cover is also missing.

I’m not one to get outraged over every little thing put my aim for posting is to find out if The Villages gives them some authority to do this. I’m sure this wasn’t intentionally malicious and their intentions was to just make the block look festive.

The lights will be returned when they come get them and I will just explain in a nice way it’s probably in everyone’s best interest to not place anything on my property without permission and I would appreciate if they would fix my light cover. End of story, Happy Holidays Everyone!
Old 12-15-2019, 05:43 AM
Sage

If you’re talking about your private lamp (where many people hang their family name signs), anybody but you decorating that lamp is 100% wrong and illegal.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
My CYV group does this every year (except for breaking lights). It's done to cheer up the whole neighborhood for the holiday season. No one is sneaking around putting lights on people's houses. Go next door and speak to your neighbor. You'll get all the answers you need. Except for the broken light.
I was wondering how much those lights on the top of pole lamps cost and I looked at Lowes and Home Depot and Amazon and was surprised to see that many are from thirty dollars to fifty dollars. I am sure that the neighbor would reimburse him for that amount, and most likely feel really sorry it happened. I think if there was a discussion all would be resolved. I hope he will join the light brigade too. It makes for good feelings all around.

AND if I had read to the end, I would see that all will be o.k. Merry Christmas Viking Junior.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:13 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
Neighbors should let neighbors know before adding lights on private property, or adding anything, on a neighbor's property. This is not being mean, just being courteous.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Neighbors should let neighbors know before adding lights on private property, or adding anything, on a neighbor's property. This is not being mean, just being courteous.
I absolutely and completely agree. I think it was quite high handed.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for all the input some neighbors said it’s just a group of people who live somewhere on the block but didn’t know where any of them live. It’s not a huge deal but as mentioned the light post only accepts a light bulb so they had to put in an adapter so it will accept a light bulb and a source for a plug. In putting in these lights they had to remove one of the glass panels for the Christmas lights plug so the light and plug itself is exposed to the rain. Also when the light post cover was left on the lawn it was raining out some the light fixture was exposed to the rain and got all wet. As we know electricity and water doesn’t mix and you run the risk of shorting the outlet. Of course the screws securing the light cover is also missing.

I’m not one to get outraged over every little thing put my aim for posting is to find out if The Villages gives them some authority to do this. I’m sure this wasn’t intentionally malicious and their intentions was to just make the block look festive.

The lights will be returned when they come get them and I will just explain in a nice way it’s probably in everyone’s best interest to not place anything on my property without permission and I would appreciate if they would fix my light cover. End of story, Happy Holidays Everyone!
Place a menorah on your front door facing the street (traditional location). That should solve the problem for next year.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:06 PM
Veteran member

ENOUGH! On to a new topic
Old 12-15-2019, 05:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:

If this were done to me I would be very upset. This decorating group has no right to do this without asking first. And if they asked me, I'd say no...
Old 12-15-2019, 05:58 PM

I'm somewhat perplexed by the responses to your situation. Alert all the proper authorities. Since this was done without your permission, to brake anything on someone's private property is vandalism. Posting on the Next Door Neighbor site can be risky. I have read, as on TOTV, the Next Door Neighbor site has individuals who can be uncontrollably rude, nasty, offensive, carry opinions to the extreme, and, allow their point of view and worse responses for a contrary opinion. Many responses are kind, sensitive and helpful. I've had many Villagers who agree with me on these issues.
Closed Thread

Tags
light, post, christmas, put, property

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.