Are people really that petty?

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2020, 11:01 PM
Default Are people really that petty?

I heard that some people were snatching up tickets to the square music outings and throwing them away, just so other people can’t attend. Is this true? Are people really that petty and ignorant enough to do that? If you don’t want to attend these events, then stay home! I retired and moved here because of the wonderful amenities and activities that go on here. And Town square events was one of them. If you are childish enough to do something like that, then you have bigger mental issues than I can deal with. Stay home and dwindle away to nothing, you won’t be missed. We, however, have chosen to live life and enjoy it! I didn’t spend my entire life working and saving, just to sit inside and watch murder she wrote!
Old 10-14-2020, 01:40 AM

To answer your question, yes. There are many of those in The Villages that cannot handle the fact that many of us feel comfortable being out and about and socializing with others. They are so upset that we are not living our lives in our basements with our masks on. The idea that we would dare try to live normally once again makes them so upset that I would not put it past them to purchase up as many tickets as they can just to stick it to us.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

If there is a way to F up your day, be sure someone will find it!
Old 10-14-2020, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
I heard that some people were snatching up tickets to the square music outings and throwing them away, just so other people can’t attend. Is this true? Are people really that petty and ignorant enough to do that? If you don’t want to attend these events, then stay home! I retired and moved here because of the wonderful amenities and activities that go on here. And Town square events was one of them. If you are childish enough to do something like that, then you have bigger mental issues than I can deal with. Stay home and dwindle away to nothing, you won’t be missed. We, however, have chosen to live life and enjoy it! I didn’t spend my entire life working and saving, just to sit inside and watch murder she wrote!
Did you stand in line and unable to get a ticket ? Please describe the procedure / experience for those of us that have not tried yet. Please keep the reply as first hand experience not "I heard" or "I read".
Old 10-14-2020, 06:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Hard to believe people would be so miserable to do this
Old 10-14-2020, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

this sounds more like a rumor than reality...there may have been a few instances where someone did this, but highly unlikely that this is an 'organized' effort occurring on a regular basis
Old 10-14-2020, 06:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
I frankly don't think the square entertainment at this time is popular as some might think.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Every night all tickets are no longer available, even the entertainment that didn’t draw many, yet only 1/2 or less are attending. We stopped at the ticket center to pick up ours (printer out of ink) two women in their maybe mid eighties (guessing) both got two tickets. One said that takes care of a few, we needed 3 tickets, but all tickets were gone. I asked if they could spare one ticket. Since she was wearing a mask, and a shield, I could not see facial expression. NO,,,,,no one is using these tickets, ripped in half, and they walked away.

The nice lady at the booth said not the first time, it’s happened, and how sad it was.

So yes here is your sign, some feel empowered to control other lives.

I just returned from the land of Covid (not in this state, and stop fretting, I am here, left my position due to an unexpected fracture, didn’t leave my home for 6 weeks, due to mobility) so after 5 months of the craziness of hospital life, I find that some in TV are more than scary for me.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Every night all tickets are no longer available, even the entertainment that didn’t draw many, yet only 1/2 or less are attending. We stopped at the ticket center to pick up ours (printer out of ink) two women in their maybe mid eighties (guessing) both got two tickets. One said that takes care of a few, we needed 3 tickets, but all tickets were gone. I asked if they could spare one ticket. Since she was wearing a mask, and a shield, I could not see facial expression. NO,,,,,no one is using these tickets, ripped in half, and they walked away.

The nice lady at the booth said not the first time, it’s happened, and how sad it was.

So yes here is your sign, some feel empowered to control other lives.

I just returned from the land of Covid (not in this state, and stop fretting, I am here, left my position due to an unexpected fracture, didn’t leave my home for 6 weeks, due to mobility) so after 5 months of the craziness of hospital life, I find that some in TV are more than scary for me.
You are sooooo correct. There is a subset of people who think they can control other people's lives. These are the people who drive alone in their cars or golf carts with a mask on. When challenged (on line) they have a million excuses--"I forgot to take it off, I was going to the store and didn't want to fiddle with it in the parking lot, etc." They will claim they are wearing it to protect ME. Sorry, but if you are driving in your car, you don't need to protect ME. In reality, these people think they are protecting themselves, they saw something on TV or on Mrs. Google and now feel they are self proclaimed experts who intend to cram their opinion down everyone else's throat. They are suffering from delusional paranoia with excessive rationalization but claim they are not afraid. The reality is the opposite. This is similar to the person who posted a few years ago that they always take the left lane on 466 in a 45 zone at 30 mph. because THEY feel that is fast enough, and want to cram their opinion down my throat. They don't care that traffic experts and elected officials have studied the road and set the speed limit, any more than they care that not a single expert has suggested wearing a mask alone in a car. They have their irrational opinion and will stick with it no matter what facts or medical information is thrown their way.
All that is fine, they have the right to drive with a mask on, just as I have the right to ridicule them. But when they decide to open their yaps, that's where I draw the line. There was a guy last week, sitting in his cart at the mailboxes with a mask on. There were 3 or 4 other people there, well distanced, but this clown decides to start yelling at a woman for not wearing a mask. I couldn't resist, so I went and hovered over him and stated "I'm not wearing a mask either, care to start yelling at me, because you will not like the response". He left. Another TOTV post stated that if anyone comes within 20 feet he holds up his hand and yells "stop!". Like his hand means anything to anyone.
If this wasn't a serious worldwide pandemic, all this behavior would be even more laughable, but unfortunately for the victims, not so funny.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

very sad indeed hearing that there ARE actually some 'self righteous' folks in TV that are deliberately signing up for tickets with the only intention of destroying them

IMHO we don't need 'hall monitors'
Old 10-14-2020, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Keep in mind we are seeing/hearing the isolated cases that do not represent the majority of residents who abide by the rules.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Keep in mind we are seeing/hearing the isolated cases that do not represent the majority of residents who abide by the rules.
Are we???? According to the person who was checking passes at LSL, less than 25% of those with a pass show up. There will always be no shows, but this seems extraordinarily high. Couple that with posters that have "testified" that they have seen people rip up their pass as soon as they walked away from getting it, it makes me wonder.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:10 AM
Platinum member

If someone willfully destroys their ticket or just fails to attend, they really don't accomplish a thing. Walk-ins are allowed after 6 pm if capacity allows.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
If someone willfully destroys their ticket or just fails to attend, they really don't accomplish a thing. Walk-ins are allowed after 6 pm if capacity allows.
True, but the issue is less the efficacy of their strategy, and more the mind set of those pathetic individuals
Old 10-14-2020, 09:17 AM

A post such as below will likely make people think it is.

Quote:
Closed Thread

Tags
people, events, stay, home, attend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.