Are people really that petty?

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2020, 06:47 AM

Sadly I believe that there are people just as you describe. Always worried about someone else’s business instead of minding their own.

My feelings match yours. If you don’t want to go out and live life until you die then stay home and quit infringing on others rights to live as they please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
I heard that some people were snatching up tickets to the square music outings and throwing them away, just so other people can’t attend. Is this true? Are people really that petty and ignorant enough to do that? If you don’t want to attend these events, then stay home! I retired and moved here because of the wonderful amenities and activities that go on here. And Town square events was one of them. If you are childish enough to do something like that, then you have bigger mental issues than I can deal with. Stay home and dwindle away to nothing, you won’t be missed. We, however, have chosen to live life and enjoy it! I didn’t spend my entire life working and saving, just to sit inside and watch murder she wrote!
Old 10-15-2020, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

After about 7 pm the gate people at the squares will let people in without passes if the quota of people allowed hasn’t been reached. (They scan the bar codes of the passes as people enter, so they know how many, and which, passes are being used).

Also, an easy way to get passes is at tickets.thevillages.com. The tickets will be emailed to you, so you can just print them at home.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:08 AM

Abuse of the system is fueled by free tickets. If a stipend fee of something like $2.00 were charged people would likely not purchase them for an event that they didn't plan to attend. If the pool of stipend money was then raffled off as gift certificates to the merchants who pay for entertainment (less a small administrative fee) the abuse just might stop and the merchants would get traffic that the entertainment was designed to bring.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:10 AM

This whole ticket thing has to go. Take the power away from these types. People without tickets are sitting right outside the "ticket area" anyway. Just a pain in the butt for no real reason.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:23 AM
Default The tickets are a joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Every night all tickets are no longer available, even the entertainment that didn’t draw many, yet only 1/2 or less are attending. We stopped at the ticket center to pick up ours (printer out of ink) two women in their maybe mid eighties (guessing) both got two tickets. One said that takes care of a few, we needed 3 tickets, but all tickets were gone. I asked if they could spare one ticket. Since she was wearing a mask, and a shield, I could not see facial expression. NO,,,,,no one is using these tickets, ripped in half, and they walked away.

The nice lady at the booth said not the first time, it’s happened, and how sad it was.
So yes here is your sign, some feel empowered to control other lives.

I just returned from the land of Covid (not in this state, and stop fretting, I am here, left my position due to an unexpected fracture, didn’t leave my home for 6 weeks, due to mobility) so after 5 months of the craziness of hospital life, I find that some in TV are more than scary for me.
I have been trying to get two tickets since it started on 10-5-20, all events are taken and unavailable, yes I believe it’s happening since none of the venues are at full capacity and unless you have a ticket you cannot get in.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:31 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts
Default Getting into squares for music

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Did you stand in line and unable to get a ticket ? Please describe the procedure / experience for those of us that have not tried yet. Please keep the reply as first hand experience not "I heard" or "I read".
After 6pm, you get in without a ticket. Just go.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:48 AM
Default No show points

Perhaps the Villages should implement a “No Show” point system similar to Golf.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:00 AM
Default Squares will probably be closed again soon.

Quote:
I heard that some people were snatching up tickets to the square music outings and throwing them away, just so other people can’t attend. Is this true? Are people really that petty and ignorant enough to do that? If you don’t want to attend these events, then stay home! I retired and moved here because of the wonderful amenities and activities that go on here. And Town square events was one of them. If you are childish enough to do something like that, then you have bigger mental issues than I can deal with. Stay home and dwindle away to nothing, you won’t be missed. We, however, have chosen to live life and enjoy it! I didn’t spend my entire life working and saving, just to sit inside and watch murder she wrote!
We all hate having to stay home and be so extra careful. We were used to traveling during the summer to get away from the heat and miss it.
However, I follow the number of new cases in the Villages every day. Up until recently, new cases were very few a day. After full opening, including the square at a controlled amount, cases have climbed steadily. Used to be less than 5 a day. Today was 14 new cases and I expect that will start rising exponentially if something isn't done. I don't have a clue about whether someone is destroying tickets but I also saw pictures of people in the squares, none wearing masks. This will, if not already, become a hot spot for spreading the virus. Even if I stay home, wear a mask and do my best to avoid getting the virus, this will increase the chance of getting it when I have to get groceries, other necessities like going to the doctor, dentist or whatever. Just saying if someone doesn't want to go to the squares, don't go is not a smart answer. It will increase the chance of getting it for everyone. Our chances of death are much higher than most and, even if surviving it, long term kidney and lung problems may result in an earlier death. New cases per day are climbing and more group gatherings are going to add to that fact.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Your reply is as petty as those you allege threw away tickets
I come here for ideas but it’s a whine box
Old 10-15-2020, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

How about instead of requiring passes, the staff just counts the number of people that enter the square and stop allowing people in when they hit the number allowed. They could also count the number that leave. When leaving they could ask if their coming back and give them a re-entry pass. That way people could leave to go to the restroom. If a person leaves permanently, they could allow another person in. I read on this site that people without passes were allowed in later in the evening after many people left.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:20 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchristie View Post
We all hate having to stay home and be so extra careful. We were used to traveling during the summer to get away from the heat and miss it.
However, I follow the number of new cases in the Villages every day. Up until recently, new cases were very few a day. After full opening, including the square at a controlled amount, cases have climbed steadily. Used to be less than 5 a day. Today was 14 new cases and I expect that will start rising exponentially if something isn't done. I don't have a clue about whether someone is destroying tickets but I also saw pictures of people in the squares, none wearing masks. This will, if not already, become a hot spot for spreading the virus. Even if I stay home, wear a mask and do my best to avoid getting the virus, this will increase the chance of getting it when I have to get groceries, other necessities like going to the doctor, dentist or whatever. Just saying if someone doesn't want to go to the squares, don't go is not a smart answer. It will increase the chance of getting it for everyone. Our chances of death are much higher than most and, even if surviving it, long term kidney and lung problems may result in an earlier death. New cases per day are climbing and more group gatherings are going to add to that fact.
I wonder if there is a contact tracing program with increases in Covid cases. 14 reported yesterday and there may be a 2-day lag from testing to reporting just wonder where the cases or transmission is coming from?
Old 10-15-2020, 08:29 AM

You can get your free passes at the box offices at each square or you can get them online at Villages Entertainment. You should get them in advance because they restrict how many they give out. Also they are letting people in with out passes after 6:00PM. How many they will let in then depends on the count of people already inside. They have set a maximum .
Old 10-15-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
I wonder if there is a contact tracing program with increases in Covid cases. 14 reported yesterday and there may be a 2-day lag from testing to reporting just wonder where the cases or transmission is coming from?
I have heard some conspiracy theories about contact tracing from people who I have always respected. I have always thought medical contact tracing was a very good thing and still do. A lot of folks here think it is a "restraint of freedom" or a "dangerous thing".

No matter my politics, I stand with Science. This little ******* is killing people and I want to continue to live in my lovely home with my treasured husband and daughter and paint my pictures and cut back my roses and swim in my pool and enjoy all the great things on Acorn T.V. My cats want me to live to.

I am pretty sure about the cats.

Well then again who knows what they are thinking....got a pretty nasty look from Mikey when he found his Tuna bowl empty...
Old 10-15-2020, 08:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Freedom

I would think those that get tickets and go are making a statement as well as those who get tickets and don't go. With 20+ new cases in Sumter yesterday it seems maybe
the ones that don't go are smarter. ! Drove by the LSL last evening and most were not wearing mask's and are possible future candidates for the statistic's page in the Media?
We go by a very simple rule. Is what you are about to do worth risking your life
or prolonged impacts of the virus? Note: There were also 5 who passed away from the virus yesterday!
Old 10-15-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You are sooooo correct. There is a subset of people who think they can control other people's lives. These are the people who drive alone in their cars or golf carts with a mask on. When challenged (on line) they have a million excuses--"I forgot to take it off, I was going to the store and didn't want to fiddle with it in the parking lot, etc." They will claim they are wearing it to protect ME. Sorry, but if you are driving in your car, you don't need to protect ME. In reality, these people think they are protecting themselves, they saw something on TV or on Mrs. Google and now feel they are self proclaimed experts who intend to cram their opinion down everyone else's throat. They are suffering from delusional paranoia with excessive rationalization but claim they are not afraid. The reality is the opposite. This is similar to the person who posted a few years ago that they always take the left lane on 466 in a 45 zone at 30 mph. because THEY feel that is fast enough, and want to cram their opinion down my throat. They don't care that traffic experts and elected officials have studied the road and set the speed limit, any more than they care that not a single expert has suggested wearing a mask alone in a car. They have their irrational opinion and will stick with it no matter what facts or medical information is thrown their way.
All that is fine, they have the right to drive with a mask on, just as I have the right to ridicule them. But when they decide to open their yaps, that's where I draw the line. There was a guy last week, sitting in his cart at the mailboxes with a mask on. There were 3 or 4 other people there, well distanced, but this clown decides to start yelling at a woman for not wearing a mask. I couldn't resist, so I went and hovered over him and stated "I'm not wearing a mask either, care to start yelling at me, because you will not like the response". He left. Another TOTV post stated that if anyone comes within 20 feet he holds up his hand and yells "stop!". Like his hand means anything to anyone.
If this wasn't a serious worldwide pandemic, all this behavior would be even more laughable, but unfortunately for the victims, not so funny.
You hovered over him with no mask??? Wow, glad I wasn't around you.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, events, stay, home, attend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.