Are people really that petty?

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2020, 12:05 PM

My suggestion is to bring scotch tape with you and put these tickets back together and now your in.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchristie View Post
We all hate having to stay home and be so extra careful. We were used to traveling during the summer to get away from the heat and miss it.
However, I follow the number of new cases in the Villages every day. Up until recently, new cases were very few a day. After full opening, including the square at a controlled amount, cases have climbed steadily. Used to be less than 5 a day. Today was 14 new cases and I expect that will start rising exponentially if something isn't done. I don't have a clue about whether someone is destroying tickets but I also saw pictures of people in the squares, none wearing masks. This will, if not already, become a hot spot for spreading the virus. Even if I stay home, wear a mask and do my best to avoid getting the virus, this will increase the chance of getting it when I have to get groceries, other necessities like going to the doctor, dentist or whatever. Just saying if someone doesn't want to go to the squares, don't go is not a smart answer. It will increase the chance of getting it for everyone. Our chances of death are much higher than most and, even if surviving it, long term kidney and lung problems may result in an earlier death. New cases per day are climbing and more group gatherings are going to add to that fact.
Dr Michael Osterholm a leading epidemiologist ( use Mrs. Google) says the US is going from 50,000 cases/day now to 100,000 by year's end. If and when that happens, places like TV Land will be forced to dial back large group events. People in The Villages will be forced to adjust their behavior.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
Wow! You really do not understand why people don’t like seeing super-spreader events. It because they increase the percentage of people who are walking around spreading the disease, which then they might get when they are out and about taking care of necessary chores.

I has absolutely nothing to do with not wanting you to have any fun.
And there is the best definition of paranoia yet
Old 10-15-2020, 12:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I find this post interesting. Incidentally, I liked the Mrs. Google reference! Kudos. I myself believe that a person wearing a mask has no right to challenge / yell at a non-mask wearing person. Also, a non-wearer should not yell at a mask-wearing individual. And getting close to or "in the face of" someone in that situation is NOTHING to be proud of and BRAG about. It is excessively aggressive. Better to deal with it in a less violent way. No need to escalate this mask vs maskless controversy. This is a local issue but it is part of MUCH larger forces causing social disruption and causing History to advance too rapidly for people to cope with in such a short time. WE all need to do our part and be PATIENT with one another. Do not be driven too far into opposite camps as represented by mask vs non-mask wearing - or loving the squares entertainment vs wanting to sabotage it. We are all old and mature enough to know that these current irritations will go away. Be patient and let your inner goodwill shine through.
You're right, of course. Truth be told I was probably at least 6 feet away. Besides, I wasn't coughing sneezing, and spraying my words, and also had tested negative several days earlier. I would never put anyone in harm's way, the medical doctrine is "primum non nocere"--which means first, do no harm. But you had to be there to see what this guy was doing, really over the top. When he left, the woman thanked me for stopping his barrage.
However, I will stick with my use of pathetic----to take action for the sole purpose of trying to control others deserves such a label
Old 10-15-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
How about instead of requiring passes, the staff just counts the number of people that enter the square and stop allowing people in when they hit the number allowed. They could also count the number that leave. When leaving they could ask if their coming back and give them a re-entry pass. That way people could leave to go to the restroom. If a person leaves permanently, they could allow another person in. I read on this site that people without passes were allowed in later in the evening after many people left.
That would only be TOO EASY.
I don’t ever go to the squares in the evening. Don’t really have a reason I just don’t go. I can say without a doubt that FREE anything is bait for Villagers. When we opened Petsmart in Lady Lake the store gave out 11 cases of free t-shirts. Opened 12 stores for the company and NEVER came close to that amount. That being said, I never once ever, saw anyone wearing one of the shirts. What’s the point of taking all these free bees?Remember the lines at SweetBay when they opened. 2am they started lining up golf carts for a FREE PINEAPPLE.
Now getting back to the squares, maybe it’s the antagonist approach of “if you’re panicked or don’t like it stay home “ a better example is “if you don’t like it move “ or my favorite “ stay home shuttered inside, under your bed makes more room for me”.
Sound like anything you’ve read here? I find those types remarks offensive, and have never be directed at me. How many of you would say such unkind things to a person standing in front of them. People seemed to have lost all sense of how to get along or a sense of kindness.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown View Post
To answer your question, yes. There are many of those in The Villages that cannot handle the fact that many of us feel comfortable being out and about and socializing with others. They are so upset that we are not living our lives in our basements with our masks on. The idea that we would dare try to live normally once again makes them so upset that I would not put it past them to purchase up as many tickets as they can just to stick it to us.
You don’t purchase them.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have heard some conspiracy theories about contact tracing from people who I have always respected. I have always thought medical contact tracing was a very good thing and still do. A lot of folks here think it is a "restraint of freedom" or a "dangerous thing".

No matter my politics, I stand with Science. This little ******* is killing people and I want to continue to live in my lovely home with my treasured husband and daughter and paint my pictures and cut back my roses and swim in my pool and enjoy all the great things on Acorn T.V. My cats want me to live to.

I am pretty sure about the cats.

Well then again who knows what they are thinking....got a pretty nasty look from Mikey when he found his Tuna bowl empty...
You do know Gracie that cats don’t have pet parents, the have STAFF.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
Wow! You really do not understand why people don’t like seeing super-spreader events. It because they increase the percentage of people who are walking around spreading the disease, which then they might get when they are out and about taking care of necessary chores.

I has absolutely nothing to do with not wanting you to have any fun.
Absolutely agree! Thank you. I'm sure many others feel the same way we do. We are all starting to feel "pandemic fatigue." I don't leave my house except out of necessity. Unfortunately, there are always going to be those self-centered, entitled Narcissists who don't have an ounce of empathy for their fellow human beings who are at high risk. They tell us things like stay home when it's not that simple (or at all helpful), or refuse to take precautions that's inconvenient to them, putting everyone at more risk. IF this pandemic ever ends or gets under control, I have a feeling those selfish - don't care about anyone else - people will find they have fewer friends after being seen for what they are.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 10-15-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchristie View Post
This will, if not already, become a hot spot for spreading the virus. Even if I stay home, wear a mask and do my best to avoid getting the virus, this will increase the chance of getting it when I have to get groceries, other necessities like going to the doctor, dentist or whatever. Just saying if someone doesn't want to go to the squares, don't go is not a smart answer. It will increase the chance of getting it for everyone. Our chances of death are much higher than most and, even if surviving it, long term kidney and lung problems may result in an earlier death. New cases per day are climbing and more group gatherings are going to add to that fact.
I, too, am real tired of the mean and unhelpful "stay home" comments. Sometimes out of necessity we have to go out and the cavalier attitude of some people make it even harder to stay relatively safe. It is really unfair. I guess some of those who don't care about anyone other than themselves don't have any high risk family or friends to worry about.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 10-15-2020, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You're right, of course. Truth be told I was probably at least 6 feet away. Besides, I wasn't coughing sneezing, and spraying my words, and also had tested negative several days earlier. I would never put anyone in harm's way, the medical doctrine is "primum non nocere"--which means first, do no harm. But you had to be there to see what this guy was doing, really over the top. When he left, the woman thanked me for stopping his barrage.
However, I will stick with my use of pathetic----to take action for the sole purpose of trying to control others deserves such a label
6 ft away is a good thing. And getting tested recently negative is a better thing - both for you and those around you. That is good that the woman felt that you supported her, so she may have felt better that a tense situation was resolved. I was just PREACHING moderation in my post. People used to have different views, but usually moderation prevailed. Today, polarization has gone WAY too far - affecting even a simple thing like a visit to the Post Office. I worry that it could push past the "do no harm" philosophy that you live by, and I endorse. Sometimes small situations spiral out of control. Sometimes whole societies and countries spiral out of control. I am powerless except to verbally endorse moderation and middle of the road thinking in this rapidly changing environment. Take care!
Old 10-15-2020, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
6 ft away is a good thing. And getting tested recently negative is a better thing - both for you and those around you. That is good that the woman felt that you supported her, so she may have felt better that a tense situation was resolved. I was just PREACHING moderation in my post. People used to have different views, but usually moderation prevailed. Today, polarization has gone WAY too far - affecting even a simple thing like a visit to the Post Office. I worry that it could push past the "do no harm" philosophy that you live by, and I endorse. Sometimes small situations spiral out of control. Sometimes whole societies and countries spiral out of control. I am powerless except to verbally endorse moderation and middle of the road thinking in this rapidly changing environment. Take care!
You too!
Old 10-15-2020, 03:57 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

Hello, golfing eagles,

I have not read this entire thread but your posts caught my attention and brought a question to mind.

Remember the thread from a few weeks ago when someone’s wife was alone, getting into her golf cart in a parking lot, when she was verbally assaulted by a couple of angry old guys because she had an “Evolve” bumper sticker. (irony not wasted on me considering that the men were obviously Neanderthals)

Well, if you had happened upon that scene, would you have come to her assistance also?

I hope so. But just wondering.

Boomer
Old 10-15-2020, 04:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hello, golfing eagles,

I have not read this entire thread but your posts caught my attention and brought a question to mind.

Remember the thread from a few weeks ago when someone’s wife was alone, getting into her golf cart in a parking lot, when she was verbally assaulted by a couple of angry old guys because she had an “Evolve” bumper sticker. (irony not wasted on me considering that the men were obviously Neanderthals)

Well, if you had happened upon that scene, would you have come to her assistance also?

I hope so. But just wondering.

Boomer
Absolutely. But considering there were 2 of them and probably a lot younger than me, I would have set my car alarm off first. Having a pitching wedge close by would help as well
Old 10-16-2020, 08:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up You'va Gota Love It

You have got to love it that there are actually responsible residents/renter's who get tickets and rip them up to try in their own small way to protect other residents since the majority who attend the Squares don't wear mask's. What wonderful people who do this and they are our hero's.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:37 AM
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bragones View Post
Abuse of the system is fueled by free tickets. If a stipend fee of something like $2.00 were charged people would likely not purchase them for an event that they didn't plan to attend. If the pool of stipend money was then raffled off as gift certificates to the merchants who pay for entertainment (less a small administrative fee) the abuse just might stop and the merchants would get traffic that the entertainment was designed to bring.
Selling Tickets will "open a can of worms"....
Closed Thread

Tags
people, events, stay, home, attend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.