Are people really that petty?

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2020, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You're right, of course. Truth be told I was probably at least 6 feet away. Besides, I wasn't coughing sneezing, and spraying my words, and also had tested negative several days earlier. I would never put anyone in harm's way, the medical doctrine is "primum non nocere"--which means first, do no harm. But you had to be there to see what this guy was doing, really over the top. When he left, the woman thanked me for stopping his barrage.
However, I will stick with my use of pathetic----to take action for the sole purpose of trying to control others deserves such a label
Doc, I have almost deified M.D.s all of my life. It is comforting to see that even people I extoll are sometimes impatient and human. I don't know who you yelled at in this instance, because I didn't dutifully read back all of the posts to see who is mad at who, but I sure as hell don't want you ever to think I am pathetic.

People who are raised a certain way think all people who are outspoken are pathetic. I have learned so many things about human behavior and how geographic group behaviors differ from each other since moving here.

I can't remember a time in my life when I have been so frustrated at finding valid health information, and yet I know this world is still in the "gathering facts" part of the scientific method.

I think the world is learning a lot of important things from this highly unusual forced pause in our activities. I hope the parents know their little ones better after this is all over. I wonder if we are learning more about ourselves as well.

I know this; It is another beautiful day in The Villages.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:50 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,374 Times in 497 Posts

So the answer to the question "Are people really that petty?" is yes.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
So the answer to the question "Are people really that petty?" is yes.
BUT.....It isn't looting and burning. (as a means of protest)

I guess that is a positive, right??

P.S. I didn't.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
BUT.....It isn't looting and burning. (as a means of protest)

I guess that is a positive, right??

P.S. I didn't.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
First Amendment. It does not stipulate that one must use warm and fuzzy verbiage. And it does not prohibit rude and obnoxious language. But, it does say you have Freedom of Speech by prohibiting the limiting of speech.
You quite obviously missed the entire point of that response. Feel free to act "rude and obnoxious" as it is a constitutional right.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Doc, I have almost deified M.D.s all of my life. It is comforting to see that even people I extoll are sometimes impatient and human. I don't know who you yelled at in this instance, because I didn't dutifully read back all of the posts to see who is mad at who, but I sure as hell don't want you ever to think I am pathetic.

People who are raised a certain way think all people who are outspoken are pathetic. I have learned so many things about human behavior and how geographic group behaviors differ from each other since moving here.

I can't remember a time in my life when I have been so frustrated at finding valid health information, and yet I know this world is still in the "gathering facts" part of the scientific method.

I think the world is learning a lot of important things from this highly unusual forced pause in our activities. I hope the parents know their little ones better after this is all over. I wonder if we are learning more about ourselves as well.

I know this; It is another beautiful day in The Villages.
GG, you are far from pathetic. I highly doubt you have been sucking up passes to the squares and destroying them in an attempt to control other people's lives---they are the pathetic ones. I also doubt you intentionally drive 30 mph. in the left lane to impose a speed restriction on others that the law does not recognize.
As far as the mailboxes go, the idiot in the cart was yelling at a woman, I simply went over and in a calm voice invited him to start yelling at me, albeit with a mildly threatening body posture. He got the message and the woman was quite relieved.
Stay well
Old 10-16-2020, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooziesoul View Post
You can get your free passes at the box offices at each square or you can get them online at Villages Entertainment. You should get them in advance because they restrict how many they give out. Also they are letting people in with out passes after 6:00PM. How many they will let in then depends on the count of people already inside. They have set a maximum .
Wonder what The Villages will do if the square is full and a couple show up with tickets at 8:00 PM. Will they be denied entry?
Old 10-16-2020, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
I have heard some conspiracy theories about contact tracing from people who I have always respected. I have always thought medical contact tracing was a very good thing and still do. A lot of folks here think it is a "restraint of freedom" or a "dangerous thing".

No matter my politics, I stand with Science. This little ******* is killing people and I want to continue to live in my lovely home with my treasured husband and daughter and paint my pictures and cut back my roses and swim in my pool and enjoy all the great things on Acorn T.V. My cats want me to live to.

I am pretty sure about the cats.

Well then again who knows what they are thinking....got a pretty nasty look from Mikey when he found his Tuna bowl empty...
Gracie....you are such a hoot!
Old 10-16-2020, 01:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
... My cats want me to live to.

I am pretty sure about the cats.

Well then again who knows what they are thinking....got a pretty nasty look from Mikey when he found his Tuna bowl empty...
“_My_ cats”???

Come on, GG. If you’re a true cat lover you know that cats don’t have owners...they have staff!!
Old 10-16-2020, 03:27 PM

Would surprise me there's slot if village idiots... For them live in your bubble.. Most want a normal life
Old 10-16-2020, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneclickplus View Post
Solution: charge for tickets ($100 each cash) and then issue a refund upon arrival. Event is still free to those who wish to enjoy it. Give the unclaimed refunds to charity.
It doesn't have to be that much. I'm still convinced (and haven't read anything here to change my mind yet) that people get these tickets because they're free, even if they never had any plans on going or intention to make plans to go. Free = old_person's_wet_dream.

Even if you require a $5 deposit, it's enough. Plus, remember these events at the town squares are open to the public - not just seniors living in the Villages. There are families who might ACTUALLY want to attend, and can't afford to deposit $400 for a family of 4, for something that's supposed to be free. But they might be able to put down $20 for the same number of people. And if Junior gets breaks his ankle skateboarding in the driveway and the family has to stay home, they're only out $20 and not the equivalent of a whole paycheck (or more in some cases).
Old 10-17-2020, 01:10 AM
TOTV Moderator

Thread closed due to multiple directed posts.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, events, stay, home, attend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.