Are people really that petty?

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchristie View Post
We all hate having to stay home and be so extra careful. We were used to traveling during the summer to get away from the heat and miss it.
However, I follow the number of new cases in the Villages every day. Up until recently, new cases were very few a day. After full opening, including the square at a controlled amount, cases have climbed steadily. Used to be less than 5 a day. Today was 14 new cases and I expect that will start rising exponentially if something isn't done. I don't have a clue about whether someone is destroying tickets but I also saw pictures of people in the squares, none wearing masks. This will, if not already, become a hot spot for spreading the virus. Even if I stay home, wear a mask and do my best to avoid getting the virus, this will increase the chance of getting it when I have to get groceries, other necessities like going to the doctor, dentist or whatever. Just saying if someone doesn't want to go to the squares, don't go is not a smart answer. It will increase the chance of getting it for everyone. Our chances of death are much higher than most and, even if surviving it, long term kidney and lung problems may result in an earlier death. New cases per day are climbing and more group gatherings are going to add to that fact.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:39 AM

You are correct. Just count people as they enter and stop when capacity is reached!
Old 10-15-2020, 08:40 AM

After 6:00 you can get in without a pass until capacity is reached.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:04 AM
Veteran member

There is more to Sumter than TV. There is also the Federal Penitentiary.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
I heard that some people were snatching up tickets to the square music outings and throwing them away, just so other people can’t attend. Is this true? Are people really that petty and ignorant enough to do that? If you don’t want to attend these events, then stay home! I retired and moved here because of the wonderful amenities and activities that go on here. And Town square events was one of them. If you are childish enough to do something like that, then you have bigger mental issues than I can deal with. Stay home and dwindle away to nothing, you won’t be missed. We, however, have chosen to live life and enjoy it! I didn’t spend my entire life working and saving, just to sit inside and watch murder she wrote!
We have been monitoring the Squares from a distance---checking for available tickets online at tickets.thevillages.com, tickets are unavailable at all three squares for VIRTUALLY every performance for every night. At the same time, we have been looking at all three squares live video cameras on The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community and see almost NOBODY at Spanish Springs, SOME at Lake Sumter, and SLIGHTLY MORE attendees at Brownwood. None of the squares have near the 250 to 300 ticket capacity that was planned. I thought at first people were getting tickets but deciding not to go for some reason. After reading these posts, it is obvious that some inconsiderate people are getting tickets and destroying them so others cannot attend.

The solution is simple: rather than allow people to get tickets beforehand, have the Villages employee who is letting people into each Square have the allowed number of tickets with them and hand them out to the "first come, first served" Villagers who enter the Square. You can expand this idea even more by allowing people who leave the Square (almost no one stays the whole time) return their ticket to the Villages employee so others can enter. This will eliminate the under handed efforts by some and give those who want to attend the music at a Square a much better chance to gain entry!
Old 10-15-2020, 09:19 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I really don't believe that many villagers would spend the money just to throw in the trash can. Look how fast they depart the bars 5 minutes after happy hour.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Every night all tickets are no longer available, even the entertainment that didn’t draw many, yet only 1/2 or less are attending. We stopped at the ticket center to pick up ours (printer out of ink) two women in their maybe mid eighties (guessing) both got two tickets. One said that takes care of a few, we needed 3 tickets, but all tickets were gone. I asked if they could spare one ticket. Since she was wearing a mask, and a shield, I could not see facial expression. NO,,,,,no one is using these tickets, ripped in half, and they walked away.

The nice lady at the booth said not the first time, it’s happened, and how sad it was.

So yes here is your sign, some feel empowered to control other lives.

I just returned from the land of Covid (not in this state, and stop fretting, I am here, left my position due to an unexpected fracture, didn’t leave my home for 6 weeks, due to mobility) so after 5 months of the craziness of hospital life, I find that some in TV are more than scary for me.
So much for Florida’s Friendliest Hometown! A lot of people here are getting down right rude!
Old 10-15-2020, 10:05 AM
Default Why all the rancor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You are sooooo correct. There is a subset of people who think they can control other people's lives. These are the people who drive alone in their cars or golf carts with a mask on. When challenged (on line) they have a million excuses--"I forgot to take it off, I was going to the store and didn't want to fiddle with it in the parking lot, etc." They will claim they are wearing it to protect ME. Sorry, but if you are driving in your car, you don't need to protect ME. In reality, these people think they are protecting themselves, they saw something on TV or on Mrs. Google and now feel they are self proclaimed experts who intend to cram their opinion down everyone else's throat. They are suffering from delusional paranoia with excessive rationalization but claim they are not afraid. The reality is the opposite. This is similar to the
person who posted a few years ago that they always take the left lane on 466 in a 45 zone at 30 mph. because THEY feel that is fast enough, and want to cram their opinion down my throat. They don't care that traffic experts and elected officials have studied the road and set the speed limit, any more than they care that not a single expert has suggested wearing a mask alone in a car. They have their irrational opinion and will stick with it no matter what facts or medical information is thrown their way.
All that is fine, they have the right to drive with a mask on, just as I have the right to ridicule them. But when they decide to open their yaps, that's where I draw the line. There was a guy last week, sitting in his cart at the mailboxes with a mask on. There were 3 or 4 other people there, well distanced, but this clown decides to start yelling at a woman for not wearing a mask. I couldn't resist, so I went and hovered over him and stated "I'm not wearing a mask either, care to start yelling at me, because you will not like the response". He left. Another TOTV post stated that if anyone comes within 20 feet he holds up his hand and yells "stop!". Like his hand means anything to anyone.
If this wasn't a serious worldwide pandemic, all this behavior would be even more laughable, but unfortunately for the victims, not so funny.
Why can't you all just live and let live? Isn't there enough anger, vitriol, and sniping going on in this country without neighbors ridiculing each other for wearing or not wearing masks? If people feel safer wearing a mask to the mailbox, where they may be shoulder to shoulder with others not wearing masks, why do you care? They're cautious and being smart. Maybe they have a health issue that you aren't aware of. Who are you to ridicule them? If you don't want to wear a mask and social distance, then don't. Just stay away from others who are trying to be cautious.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
I heard that some people were snatching up tickets to the square music outings and throwing them away, just so other people can’t attend. Is this true? Are people really that petty and ignorant enough to do that? If you don’t want to attend these events, then stay home! I retired and moved here because of the wonderful amenities and activities that go on here. And Town square events was one of them. If you are childish enough to do something like that, then you have bigger mental issues than I can deal with. Stay home and dwindle away to nothing, you won’t be missed. We, however, have chosen to live life and enjoy it! I didn’t spend my entire life working and saving, just to sit inside and watch murder she wrote!
Solution: charge for tickets ($100 each cash) and then issue a refund upon arrival. Event is still free to those who wish to enjoy it. Give the unclaimed refunds to charity.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:37 AM
Veteran member

Drove past Sumter Landing about 6:15 last evening. Square was pretty full and people looked like they were enjoying themselves.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I really don't believe that many villagers would spend the money just to throw in the trash can. Look how fast they depart the bars 5 minutes after happy hour.
The tickets are free.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,642 Times in 1,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I agree 100% (except for The Constitution part.)
Wow! I must have missed those things when I read The Constitution. I must have also missed the part where it says we have the "unalienable right to be rude and obnoxious." Must be in there somewhere because there is so much of it going around.
First Amendment. It does not stipulate that one must use warm and fuzzy verbiage. And it does not prohibit rude and obnoxious language. But, it does say you have Freedom of Speech by prohibiting the limiting of speech.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Did you stand in line and unable to get a ticket ? Please describe the procedure / experience for those of us that have not tried yet. Please keep the reply as first hand experience not "I heard" or "I read".
Sounds like a local conspiracy theory designed to stir up controversy and drive a wedge between Village people. It would seem unlikely that any one person could believe that they could prevent or slow down the numbers of people that want to go to the squares. It would take an evil cabal to make it happen. See how easily that becomes a conspiracy theory.

It is unlikely that the squares will go BACK to being closed now, no matter what. Both the US and Europe have opened up to "normal" life. There are NO plans to return to "stay at home" measures. So party on - the Genie has left the bottle!
Old 10-15-2020, 11:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
You are sooooo correct. There is a subset of people who think they can control other people's lives. These are the people who drive alone in their cars or golf carts with a mask on. When challenged (on line) they have a million excuses--"I forgot to take it off, I was going to the store and didn't want to fiddle with it in the parking lot, etc." They will claim they are wearing it to protect ME. Sorry, but if you are driving in your car, you don't need to protect ME. In reality, these people think they are protecting themselves, they saw something on TV or on Mrs. Google and now feel they are self proclaimed experts who intend to cram their opinion down everyone else's throat. They are suffering from delusional paranoia with excessive rationalization but claim they are not afraid. The reality is the opposite. This is similar to the person who posted a few years ago that they always take the left lane on 466 in a 45 zone at 30 mph. because THEY feel that is fast enough, and want to cram their opinion down my throat. They don't care that traffic experts and elected officials have studied the road and set the speed limit, any more than they care that not a single expert has suggested wearing a mask alone in a car. They have their irrational opinion and will stick with it no matter what facts or medical information is thrown their way.
All that is fine, they have the right to drive with a mask on, just as I have the right to ridicule them. But when they decide to open their yaps, that's where I draw the line. There was a guy last week, sitting in his cart at the mailboxes with a mask on. There were 3 or 4 other people there, well distanced, but this clown decides to start yelling at a woman for not wearing a mask. I couldn't resist, so I went and hovered over him and stated "I'm not wearing a mask either, care to start yelling at me, because you will not like the response". He left. Another TOTV post stated that if anyone comes within 20 feet he holds up his hand and yells "stop!". Like his hand means anything to anyone.
If this wasn't a serious worldwide pandemic, all this behavior would be even more laughable, but unfortunately for the victims, not so funny.
I find this post interesting. Incidentally, I liked the Mrs. Google reference! Kudos. I myself believe that a person wearing a mask has no right to challenge / yell at a non-mask wearing person. Also, a non-wearer should not yell at a mask-wearing individual. And getting close to or "in the face of" someone in that situation is NOTHING to be proud of and BRAG about. It is excessively aggressive. Better to deal with it in a less violent way. No need to escalate this mask vs maskless controversy. This is a local issue but it is part of MUCH larger forces causing social disruption and causing History to advance too rapidly for people to cope with in such a short time. WE all need to do our part and be PATIENT with one another. Do not be driven too far into opposite camps as represented by mask vs non-mask wearing - or loving the squares entertainment vs wanting to sabotage it. We are all old and mature enough to know that these current irritations will go away. Be patient and let your inner goodwill shine through.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
True, but the issue is less the efficacy of their strategy, and more the mind set of those pathetic individuals
That is harsh. The ones ripping up tickets may THINK? that they are saving the world - one ticket at a time? I find it unusual. But "pathetic" may be too harsh. Who knows what is motivating them? They can't succeed. WE all live in troubled times, so unusual things are happening. Think of it as society-wide dementia or a wave of misunderstanding.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, events, stay, home, attend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.