People walking in Tunnels

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Default People walking in Tunnels

Is anyone having trouble with people walking in golf cart tunnels? All of a sudden I have many instances of people walking out in front of our cart while driving through a tunnel. What is the rule? Especially teenagers walking through the 466 tunnel going to Southern Trace. They are walking 5 or 6 abreast and you come in to the tunnel out of the sun and it is dark. I am so afraid someone is going to get hurt. Is it okay for them to be walking through the tunnels? I suspect NOT.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Sage

This has been discussed before, how when coming into the tunnel from the sun, it's dark in there and it takes a few seconds for vision to adjust and some of us have had near misses....could have hit somebody accidentally and it would be a horrible thing.

Runners, bicyclists and walkers have defended their "right" to be in there, which technically they have a right to do because they're multi-modal trails.

But, others of us see it as toying with the opportunity to keep making their point on their tombstone with it saying, "I was RIGHT, dammit!".

Some seem to think they cannot be harmed by a 700-pound vehicle (golf cart) coming upon them in a low visibility tunnel. Worse yet, some have seemed to think an accident like that would be all the cart driver's fault. Scary.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009

I walk and run in The Villages quite a bit and the tunnels are the only way to safely cross the boulevards.
When I do use them, I have my rabbit ears wide open, my head on a swivel, and slow way down before entering and leaving tunnels, just like I do when driving my carts.

The multi-modal paths are for carts, bikes, walkers, runners, etc and have to be safely shared!!!!

They don't belong to any one user group.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post
I walk and run in The Villages quite a bit and the tunnels are the only way to safely cross the boulevards.
When I do use them, I have my rabbit ears wide open, my head on a swivel, and slow way down before entering and leaving tunnels, just like I do when driving my carts.

The multi-modal paths are for carts, bikes, walkers, runners, etc and have to be safely shared!!!!

They don't belong to any one user group.
Go slow into ALL tunnels. You may find a car, an alligator, a tortoise, a truck, a kid, an adult, or a person with a walker in them. I tried walking my dog through a tunnel which was stock full of a steady stream of speeding golf carts. Never going to do that again. I picked him up for the rest of the way and ran across the highway carrying him instead of trying to get back through the tunnel. This was at the tunnel on Buena Vista at the Lake Miona Recreation Center.

There are kids often at the CR466 tunnel as well as sometimes adults. Have seen cars and trucks in that tunnel too every once in a while.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

The tunnels contrary to some thinking are not transition just for for golf carts!!
They like the rest of the pathways are Multi-modal.

It is the responsibility of us all who use them to be aware of rights of way and especially courtesy.

My dog takes me walking every morning including the tunnels and we have never encountered a problem with the other "modes" also using the tunnels.

Knowing of the difference in light levels and eyes adjusting......just slow down.

I really believe that too many cart drivers think they can only go pedal to the metal........the brake pedal is not just for stop signs!!

Just keep reminding yourselves.....Multi modal......not cart path!

btk
Old 11-23-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
This has been discussed before, how when coming into the tunnel from the sun, it's dark in there and it takes a few seconds for vision to adjust and some of us have had near misses....could have hit somebody accidentally and it would be a horrible thing.

Runners, bicyclists and walkers have defended their "right" to be in there, which technically they have a right to do because they're multi-modal trails.

But, others of us see it as toying with the opportunity to keep making their point on their tombstone with it saying, "I was RIGHT, dammit!".

Some seem to think they cannot be harmed by a 700-pound vehicle (golf cart) coming upon them in a low visibility tunnel. Worse yet, some have seemed to think an accident like that would be all the cart driver's fault. Scary.
I made it a habit to slow well below 10 mph for the reasons you state; transition from the brightness to the dark tunnel, and the fact that you can't tell whose in there and what they will do. At 10 mph, I have increased the safety factor to the point where I will feel little or no regret/guilt if an accident occurs.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Sage

Thanks for posting this info. I have not yet ventured through TV in a golf cart
and I find this practice alarming. It always pays to be careful.

I wouldn't someone last words to be, "I was right, dead right".

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-23-2013, 02:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromlich View Post
Is anyone having trouble with people walking in golf cart tunnels? All of a sudden I have many instances of people walking out in front of our cart while driving through a tunnel. What is the rule? Especially teenagers walking through the 466 tunnel going to Southern Trace. They are walking 5 or 6 abreast and you come in to the tunnel out of the sun and it is dark. I am so afraid someone is going to get hurt. Is it okay for them to be walking through the tunnels? I suspect NOT.
The CR466 western tunnel is especially dangerous with kids from the Charter School going through to Southern Trace and back again. As Cromlich stated, they sometimes walk 5 or 6 abreast. Like most teenagers, they are more concerned about chatting and kidding with each other, than about their safety.

Other than proceeding through the tunnels at a snails pace, I really don't know what else can be done. It seems to me that the students would be safer crossing CR 466 at the stoplight above the tunnel. However as many previous posters have pointed out, the students have a right to use the tunnels. The tunnels are meant to be shared.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:55 AM
Veteran member

Simple solution.....turn your headlights on before entering any tunnel.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:36 AM

Too many people drive their carts way outside their skill set. That is, if you could hit something YOU ARE GOING TOO FAST or not paying attention as you should. Why are people in such a hurry anyway? I get all sorts of rude behavior from people as I drive at 17 mph. 17 mph!! They take risk I know they could not handle to get by me, putting oncoming traffic at risk as well, and then go 20mph. Really??? The next stop sign (if they stop) we are all caught up again... Retired and always in a hurry. Makes no sense.

My advice to all concerned about the tunnels (I also run through them during my daily run) is to slow down to a speed you can realistically handle before you hurt someone or get hurt yourself.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:58 AM

I have been waiting for a thread on this subject. Ever since I have been down here I have noticed the small minded people that have to go as fast as they can from one end of the tunnel to the other. Kind of dumb if you ask me. First of all you are using way to much gas and secondly you'll be replacing your breaks more often than you might think. Must have more money than brains as most people down here do. Slow down before you kill your self or someone's grandchild think about if it was your grandchild .
Old 11-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

More people in tunnels because more people are here. AND it's gonna get worse.

PLEASE be careful all of you. Too many sirens.

Sister Hammerin' nails in grade school always told us to say a Hail Mary when we hear sirens. I am prayin' all the time these days and I am not that religious.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:26 AM

It's not that we are speeding. The 466 tunnel has 3 speed bumps in place and it's still dangerous. This post was only meant because of concern. I would never walk myself, my dog , my friends or anyone through those tunnels. It's not that we need to slow down. I experienced a woman at the Morse tunnel who actually stepped in front of me. Luckily I was going at a snail's pace. It is also, the walkers responsibility to stay safe. I don't want to hit anyone. It's scary. Especially the teenagers who have no respect and walk 5-6 abreast and can't understand how dangerous this practice is. I respect anyone's right but I also want those who want those rights to not only think of themselves but think of the person who might accidentally hit them and carry that with them for the rest of their lives. Just be careful. Please! It's just we respect life so much that we want everyone to be safe, it's not that we want sole access to anything. It's just good ole' common sense.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:31 AM

Thank you.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:44 AM

Years back, I used to use the tunnel from Caroline to Sweetbay/Sumter Landing walking but would keep my eyes and ears open and proceed as quickly as possible. Common sense should always prevail for adults and children alike, but unfortunately..........
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.