People walking in Tunnels

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromlich View Post
It's not that we are speeding. The 466 tunnel has 3 speed bumps in place and it's still dangerous. This post was only meant because of concern. I would never walk myself, my dog , my friends or anyone through those tunnels. It's not that we need to slow down. I experienced a woman at the Morse tunnel who actually stepped in front of me. Luckily I was going at a snail's pace. It is also, the walkers responsibility to stay safe. I don't want to hit anyone. It's scary. Especially the teenagers who have no respect and walk 5-6 abreast and can't understand how dangerous this practice is. I respect anyone's right but I also want those who want those rights to not only think of themselves but think of the person who might accidentally hit them and carry that with them for the rest of their lives. Just be careful. Please! It's just we respect life so much that we want everyone to be safe, it's not that we want sole access to anything. It's just good ole' common sense.
Just curious why you say they have no respect walking through the tunnels 5-6 abreast. If they were walking single file through a tunnel, would you really try to pass them?
Old 11-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow1 View Post
I have been waiting for a thread on this subject. Ever since I have been down here I have noticed the small minded people that have to go as fast as they can from one end of the tunnel to the other. Kind of dumb if you ask me. First of all you are using way to much gas and secondly you'll be replacing your breaks more often than you might think. Must have more money than brains as most people down here do[/U]. Slow down before you kill your self or someone's grandchild think about if it was your grandchild .
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
More people in tunnels because more people are here. AND it's gonna get worse.

PLEASE be careful all of you. Too many sirens.

Sister Hammerin' nails in grade school always told us to say a Hail Mary when we hear sirens. I am prayin' all the time these days and I am not that religious.
Man, there someone goes again, painting the majority of a population with one brush. I find that indictment to be derogatory and downright rude.
That was not stated as an opinion, so one assumes the poster has facts to back up the statement.

And Gracie... We had Miss Stump Has A Bump On Her Rump in the third grade.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Just curious why you say they have no respect walking through the tunnels 5-6 abreast. If they were walking single file through a tunnel, would you really try to pass them?
you know, I'm sorry I ever posted my concerns. It's not about finding fault with everything that is said or not said. It's about caring for others. If you took my post to mean I wanted to speed past someone.....you are so wrong....I just don't want to hit anyone. I don't speed. My cart has never been modified and never will be. I try to go as slow as safely possible. Yes, I know there are those with "no respect" on both sides and those of us who care are paying the price. It's about just being courteous, caring, safe, loving and kind. I hope I misunderstood your post and that you are not as mean spirited as you came across. There is no ill will on my part at all. I guess I mis spoke when I said "have no respect", they're young and don't understand how easily they can be hurt. Some folks, like it or not, are in their 80s or 90s, don't see that well and still drive carts. Not saying I agree, but I guess we all have rights. I admire those who stay vibrant and loving life but all of us need to be careful and at the same time protect our rights. Just saying..................I want everyone to be safe. It's ok to think differently but..............
Old 11-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

This discussion is going in the right direction.

I love when that happens.

Be careful.. Please be careful. Drive slow-er now that we are crowded.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Just Curious

I have never driven my golf cart through a tunnel. I always assumed that you are required to stop before entering any tunnel. Is this not the case?

Also, how many tunnels do we have in TV? I wonder what the cost woud be to have motion sensor lights powered by solar panels. If that would be at all affordable, how about a big fund raiser?
Old 11-23-2013, 11:33 AM

Good info. I wasn't aware.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
It's not that we are speeding. The 466 tunnel has 3 speed bumps in place and it's still dangerous. This post was only meant because of concern. ... It's not that we need to slow down. .... Especially the teenagers who have no respect and walk 5-6 abreast and can't understand how dangerous this practice is. ... Just be careful. Please! It's just we respect life so much that we want everyone to be safe. It's not that we want sole access to anything.
I share Cromlich's concerns about using the western tunnel under CR 466 to get to Southern Trace. Because the tunnel is near the Charter Schools, it is OFTEN used by children and teens, who think they're invincible, didn't we all? And they kid around, push each other, and often take up a whole lane. I don't mind driving at a snail's pace behind them, but it is annoying when the cart in back of me is blowing his horn in frustration because he wants to roar past. Gosh there's a lot of impatient drivers around. I've had carts pass me in tunnels, and I think that is pure foolishness.

I don't think there is a solution, other than to be aware that there may be walkers in tunnels. Please proceed slowly and cautiously through all the tunnels. And show a lot of caution and respect around the kids. Oh, and please don't blow your horn at others who are proceeding in a safe and cautious way!

Quote:
I hope I misunderstood your post and that you are not as mean spirited as you came across.
I'm sure that Doug didn't mean to come across to you as mean spirited. He is usually hilarious, I love his sense of humor.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I share Cromlich's concerns about using the western tunnel under CR 466 to get to Southern Trace. Because the tunnel is near the Charter Schools, it is OFTEN used by children and teens, who think they're invincible, didn't we all? And they kid around, push each other, and often take up a whole lane. I don't mind driving at a snail's pace behind them, but it is annoying when the cart in back of me is blowing his horn in frustration because he wants to roar past. Gosh there's a lot of impatient drivers around. I've had carts pass me in tunnels, and I think that is pure foolishness.

I don't think there is a solution, other than to be aware that there may be walkers in tunnels. Please proceed slowly and cautiously through all the tunnels. And show a lot of caution and respect around the kids. Oh, and please don't blow your horn at others who are proceeding in a safe and cautious way!

I'm sure that Doug didn't mean to come across to you as mean spirited. He is usually hilarious, I love his sense of humor.
You are probably right! Posting can seem cold. I apologize , Doug , if you meant it to be funny. I guess I was just wanting to keep someone from getting hurt and it came across wrong. I sincerely only wanted to help find a solution before someone gets seriously hurt or God forbid, killed.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:49 AM

If you see a cart going very slow through a tunnel please stay back off my bumper and slow down yourself. What is your hurry???{;=)
Old 11-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44125 View Post
Simple solution.....turn your headlights on before entering any tunnel.
I agree with this solution and would add...........PROCEED WITH CAUTION & SLOW DOWN.
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:08 AM

i give the horn a short beep, to alert anyone that might be in a tunnel, and drive under control. communication is a wonderful thing. still can't figure out what some people's hurry is.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Is anyone having trouble with people walking in golf cart tunnels? All of a sudden I have many instances of people walking out in front of our cart while driving through a tunnel. What is the rule? Especially teenagers walking through the 466 tunnel going to Southern Trace. They are walking 5 or 6 abreast and you come in to the tunnel out of the sun and it is dark. I am so afraid someone is going to get hurt. Is it okay for them to be walking through the tunnels? I suspect NOT.
I have a walking group that meets each Sat. at Laurel Manor. I called and asked the recreation dept if we should use the tunnels or cross over the road.
Their answer- "Use the tunnels, that's what they are there for"
We are super careful and know of the danger.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post
I walk and run in The Villages quite a bit and the tunnels are the only way to safely cross the boulevards.
When I do use them, I have my rabbit ears wide open, my head on a swivel, and slow way down before entering and leaving tunnels, just like I do when driving my carts.

The multi-modal paths are for carts, bikes, walkers, runners, etc and have to be safely shared!!!!

They don't belong to any one user group.
Really? The only safe way to cross. How about waiting at the crosswalks and pushing the button for the lights to stay red? That's what I've always done. I'd think that it would be much more dangerous using the golf cart tunnels.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Veteran member

I am a walker who uses the tunnels. Do I use all the tunnels? If it is safer to cross without using the tunnels I will. For example the 466 tunnel also has a sidewalk running parallel to it on the outside and the traffic lights have walk signals. I feel safer using the tunnels under Buena Vista than trying to run across 4 lanes of traffic.
As a golf cart driver and a car driver I do what I tell every new person to TV. Drive with all the defense driving skill you were ever taught and be aware of bicyclists, walkers, etc.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:03 PM

These tunnels are multiple access for carts, runners, etc. and not for exclusive use by any one group. There will always be the self-centered jackasses(sober or under the influence ) that think they own the roadway and don't care about any other people using the tunnels, roadways, walkways, etc.. WTH is the hurry. There is no cure for irrational behavior.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.